PDA

View Full Version : Is a Maclaren worth the money?

jenni2
03-06-2003, 09:55 PM
Hi everybody!
I just registered for a Maclaren Global and am wondering if it is really worth the money? I live in the city, so need something lightweight, easy to steer, and durable. The salesperson at BRU tried to talk me into the Graco Metrolite. I thought the Global looked good because it is a travel system and I can use it with a carrier as well. We walk every where so I am going to get a lot of use out of this stroller and want something that will really hold up well. Thanks for any input!

mamaharsh
03-07-2003, 11:24 AM
I don't have the Global, but I definitely think Maclaren's are worth the money. I have a 2001 Techno that I have used for travel and on the subway quite a bit. It is usually loaded down with stuff and it still steers like a dream. After approximately 15 months of use, it still looks and performs like new.

I know that there have been some quality issues with some of the newer Maclarens, but I've had no problems at all with mine.

HTH,
Sara

egoldber
03-07-2003, 05:10 PM
The Global hasn't been real popular. Mainly because I think it is much heavier than the average Maclaren. They weight about the same as a Peg Pliko or Inglesina Zippy. The main selling points for Macs are their light weight, easy to use and great for taller people. For the infant seat days, you may be better off going with a SnapNGo or Kolcraft Universal Carseat carrier and getting a "real" Maclaren later.

I have a 2001 Maclaren Mistral (similar to the current Quest) and I adore it.

HTH,

Becky1290
03-09-2003, 07:46 PM
I *LOVE* my Maclaren Global and think it is well worth the money. You say you want lightweight, easy to steer, and durable. The Global is all three of these. True, there are more lightweight strollers out there, but some of them almost feel too lightweight to me, borderline flimsy. I'm sure this is a matter of personal preference and of baby activity level. Nonetheless, I worried that some of the ultra, ultra light strollers might tip under certain circumstances.

Another thing I love about the Maclaren is that it is easy to fold. Add to that the gorgeous blue argyle fabric and I think it's a real winner.

I test drove the Combi Ultra Savvy, the Peg Perego Pliko. While I think the Peg Perego would be another excellent choice, I did find the Maclaren easier to fold and a teeny bit easier to steer.

Good luck! There are so many nice strollers out there that meet your criteria that I think you could pick any one of half a dozen strollers and be very pleased, but I adore the Maclaren Global...and so does my baby!

Becky

mam615
03-10-2003, 11:29 AM
I compared the Maclaren Global to the very similar Zooper zStreet in store, and felt that the zStreet was just as good, if not better (seemed more sturdy) for $100 less. So we got the Zooper and have been very happy. It has been taking quite a beating this winter (in the Northeast) and has held up nicely. We like the sort of high-tech/outdoorsy look it has. Only complaint is that husband, 5'11" feels that it's a little short.