PDA

View Full Version : Too many options, too little time...

zbird
03-07-2003, 06:39 PM
Help! Our son has outgrown his infant travel system before we realized it. We need a new stroller ASAP. I've done plenty of research and I feel like the more I read, the more confused I become. I still have a few questions and I could really use your help.

1. Savvy Z vs Savvy DX vs Ultra Savvy. First off, is the Ultra the highest quality or just more features? Secondly, I heard they replaced the Z with the DX? How do they compare since you can still find both online? I've read the DX is heavier. Why did they increase the weight? Is that good?

2. Combi vs Peg-Perego. Are these of equal quality or will one likely outlast the other? As far as use, we will need it for lots of local walks in the neighborhood as well as for travel (in the car, on the plane, etc.). It seems that there are much better deals for the Combis online but I don't want to be penny wise...

3. Lightweight vs heavier. Is there any advantage to getting a heavier stroller? I don't mean vis a vis the flimsy umbrella types but vis a vis a Savvy Z or Pliko for example.

I guess that's it for now. Any advice would be much appreciated!

Tondi G
03-07-2003, 07:17 PM
My vote would be for the Pliko.... I have one and absolutely love it! The Combis are good for travel cause they are very lightweight and fold very compact but most of the people I've known who buy them end up getting something else down the road. As your child gets bigger/heavier I've heard the steering gets poorer on the Combis. The handle height is also an issue for many people... if you and DH are short then no problem but if DH is 5'9 or taller he'll end up hunched over pushing the stroller or kicking the wheels! I've also hear the Savvys don't do well outdoors, the wheels are rather small, better for indoors and travel!

We have a Pliko as our one and only.... it goes indoors to the mall and on neighborhood walks through Los Angeles.... so far has held up great..... our Milano did terribly on the broken sidewalks which is why we went ahead and got the Pliko.... it does the job well! We have traveled with the Pliko and gate checked it and it was no problem the baggage handler couldn't figure out how to open it up at our destination and commented on how easy it was to carry with the carry handle! It takes up much less space in the car then our Milano XL did and we recommend it to everyone who is in the market for a stroller!

The only other option you might want to look into is the Chicco deluxe ... it is very much like the Pliko but people say it steers better one handed, if that is an issue for you, I have done fine with my Pliko one handed but don't really know anything else, just my opinion! Only thing the Chicco doesn't have is the double foot step on the back that a toddler can ride on!

Good Luck... Hope this helps... happy stroller shopping! Oh and look on e-bay for good prices on the Pliko!

~Tondi and Mason (20 months!)

Momof3Labs
03-07-2003, 09:07 PM
Another vote for the Chicco 2002 (aka lx trekking, deluxe trekking) - I have both the Pliko and the Chicco, and the Chicco definitely steers better. The only thing I like better about the Pliko is the carry handle - I find the carry handle on the Chicco to be awkwardly placed. But, I don't use it often either.

www.babyuniverse.com has the Chicco on sale right now for about $150 shipped. Or they show up on eBay for less than $100 periodically:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2311397718&category=2989

Kate888
03-07-2003, 10:05 PM
I thought Chicco Fly (the one on ebay) is different from the "Chicco 2002" that everyone is raving about?? It's much cheaper and has less features. I remember seeing one online for about $50-$60. Is that right?

Kate
Mom to Maya 2-17-02

Momof3Labs
03-08-2003, 09:56 AM
The one on eBay is a Fly 2002 and looks exactly like my 2002 lx trekking - features, color and all!

Edited to add:

Here's an auction for a Fly - you can see the difference between this and the Fly 2002 shown in the other auction:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2311721704&category=2989

Kate888
03-08-2003, 10:29 AM
Thanks Lori :) The whole "Chicoo 2002" thing is very confusing...Why do they have different names for the same stroller and similar names for different strollers?

Kate
Mom to Maya 2-17-02

Momof3Labs
03-08-2003, 11:01 AM
Good question, Kate - maybe that's part of the reason that they just haven't been able to build a market here in the U.S., despite making a very good product! Who knows!!