PDA

View Full Version : How big is too big for a KK fleece pouch?

gravymommy3
03-08-2003, 08:03 PM
I currently have a hiphammock for my 16 month old which I really like, but after a while, it does hurt my shoulder. Would a Kangaroo Korner fleece pouch be better? The kid is fairly big (24 ish pounds and 31 ish inches). Is she too big for one of these? I plan to use this off and on with the HH (swapping back and forth) for trips to the mall, grocery, and Disney. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

egoldber
03-08-2003, 08:58 PM
I use my pouch sling with my 25 pound, 18 month old all the time.

HTH,

gravymommy3
03-08-2003, 10:04 PM
Do you think you will be able to get much more use out of it? I mean, how heavy do you think your little one will get before you call it quits?

Thanks

Oh, also, is there only one place to order this?

Calmegja
03-09-2003, 09:23 AM
When my 36 pound 3 year old was sick this week, I adjusted mine to carry her in it, and it was terrific.

I would, absolutely without fear, get one if you want one, because I think they easily accomodate larger children....

I use mine primarily with my 10 month old, but my three year old really wanted to be init, so up she went, and it was just fine....

I have two...one from kangarookorner.com, and one from cosybabyslingscompany.com. A few other places have them, but the two I hear mentioned most often are those two....

They are both terrific- one has a snap adjustment (KK), one has a zip adjustment (CBS). The snap adjustment allows for a tighter fit with a smaller baby/infant, but for a larger child, the zips would work just as well. Both companies are great, and have terrific customer service...and the prices are just about equal....

egoldber
03-09-2003, 10:15 AM
The KK site is the only place to get the KK Fleece Pouch. I actually made my own pouch style sling. Mine is more similar to the Maya Pouch (not the Maya sling) than the KK pouch. If you can sew AT ALL, a pouch sling is VERY easy to make.

I used these directions and then adjusted it to fit me. http://www.ida.net/users/stace/sling.html

I found the sling had to be quite tight to work well for the hip carry.

HTH,

Calmegja
03-09-2003, 10:48 AM
Beth's right, for the KK pouch exclusively, it's only available at KK, but maybe Ebay for a used one? I think they've been more in demand the past year or so...maybe some of those babies are outgrowing them? It'd be worth a shot to look! ;-)

With my 10 month old in a hip carry, it's on the tightest setting (I have a medium with 5 rows of snaps)...with my 3 year old, it's the second from the last setting.

In the Cozy Baby Sling, my 10 month old is the first zip, my 3 year old is the last zip...

gravymommy3
03-09-2003, 12:36 PM
I sew a little, but I would probably spend more money getting the fabric (after I screw up one or two attempts) and poping Valium due to the stress (don't I wish!!) than just going ahead and buying one.

Jessica, can you recommend one over the other? I do still plan to use the hip hammock, but I want to be able to switch to the pouch when she gets sleepy/hungry or my shoulders just can't take it anymore. Are the snaps easier or the zipper one?

Thanks for all your help.

Jessica - what is the site address for the zip sling again. I tried what you typed above and it did not come up. Thanks in advance.

mama2be
03-09-2003, 02:49 PM
If I recall correctly she seels "used" ones also. I know my husband freaked me out the first time I wore mine insisting it was too small (I knew it oculdn't have been I ordered a medium with extra snaps because I feared it too big)...and the owner of KK was very nice about taking it back if indeed it was too small. We both concluded it was perfect and has been!!! but I assume if mine was to small she re sells them at discount pricing!!!

Worth looking into :)...

Calmegja
03-09-2003, 02:59 PM
Here...

http://www.cozybabysling.com

You can't really unzip or unsnap with baby in them- I wear them reversed so the end doesn't stick out, so you'd have to stick your opposite hand up inside the sling and try to unhook that way.

I don't think one technically works better than the other- it's just a different approach. You get a little more adjustability with the snaps, but that's not so necessry with an older baby,whereas it is critical with a new one...

You can just lean over, and slids sling and baby off your body, though, and that works very nicely...

If I had to recommend one of the other, it'd be a tough call, but I'd probably edge KK, because she has a wider color selection than CBS. I love CBS, but I also love sage....so that made it a good match....;-0 Plus, my CBS sling came with a matching hat and thumbless mittens. Too cute for words, and really handy!

egoldber
03-09-2003, 03:57 PM
Two yards of fabric is plenty. And I got mine on the clearance table at $3 a yard. Seriously, if you can sew a seam and a hem, you can make a sling. It doesn't have to be perfect, just strong. If your machine doesn't have a triple straight stitich, just reinforce the seam several times. If you have a fairly heavy woven cotton or fleece in your stash, you can have a sling in about an hour if you're slow and 30 minutes if you're fast. :)

Megieblue
03-09-2003, 06:47 PM
I use mine mostly for my 9 month old but every now and then when my 29lb, 37 inch 2.5 year old is tired or needing to snuggle, he gets tossed in there too. He really snuggles up and mellows when I sling him in my KK fleece pouch. Based on how little it streches and how much room he has, I think he'll fit in it for well over another year... The pouch doesn't seem to "give" at all when he's in it.

I also made a pouch and was very disapointed with it in comparison to the one sold at KK. It really is so much more comforatble and woth the $.

zen_bliss
03-10-2003, 04:44 AM
the KK fleece pouches went up $10 on saturday :-(

mj1127
03-10-2003, 01:08 PM
I use my KK adjustable fleece pouch for my 42lb 4.5 year old - and I'm little. It has made the difference between a cranky, dawdling child and lousy day, and a happy child and good day. I have a medium with an extra row of snaps, though I rarely use the tightest position, only for back carry with no coat on. With a coat on, I use the third from tightest position; without a coat I usually use the second from tightest.

Even at the higher price, this carrier lasts a really long time. It's actually less than many of the front carriers that can only be used a few months, and has a pretty good resale value too.

Marlo

gravymommy3
03-10-2003, 10:10 PM
Well, I ordered my KK fleece pouch today (in the blue color with night in the name) in a large with an extra row of snaps. Let's hope it works, because DH sees no reason why I need this (course he hardly ever has to haul the little darling around...) Just hope it comes before we leave for WDW on the 21st.

Thanks to all for your help.