PDA

View Full Version : What's the MOST stylish (yet still functional) diaper bag? Cost no concern?

Kate123
04-03-2003, 07:17 PM
Thanks !
K.

wagner36
04-03-2003, 07:54 PM
I'm going to go with Kate Spade for the most stylish, but it isn't really because the bags are extraordinarly cool (they're wonderfully made, but not super original as far as design goes), but more just because they have the label. The messenger bag in particular seems very functional.

The Coach bags are really lovely, but they are SO HEAVY! Even my Coach briefcase weighs a ton, but it is much less bulky than the diaper bags.

Here in Chicago, purses and bags from 1154 Lill Studio are all the rage. You can buy a pre-made bag there or pick out your own fabrics and go custom. They have a diaper bag that runs around $150 - it is called The Diana. You can check it out on their website at www.1154lill.com.

anna lisa
04-03-2003, 08:39 PM
I researched style and function to no end! I was set to get a Kate Spade since all my girlfriends usually chip in and purchase them as shower gifts. But they are not functional. They really lack compartments. I think until Kate actually becomes a mother, then she will add more realistic features. I do not want a ribbon to close my bag in NYC! Think about my wallet in the bag and theft Kate!!

Coach, is usually a second runner up here. But I agree they are WAY to heavy. The bag is heavy even empty!! Feels like luggage to me more so than a diaper bag.

I originally bought an Amy Coe Target diaper bag but my DH said it looked cheap (it was) so I returned it.

Now I'm loving my Nicole Miller Messenger Bag. Very stylish and full of compartments! I think Nicole Miller is the only designer out there who understands what Mom's need in a diaper bag. I love the diaper and wipes compartment in the back of the bag with the attached changing pad. So convenient for a quick diaper change. Even DH thought the bag was designed and layed out well. I showed a few friends the bag and they were impressed with the design, they'd never seen a bag like it! It is a large bag, great for newborns and overnighters, might be too large to be used for quick trips. My only complaint is the side bottle pockets are a little slim, but an Avent bottle does fit, a sippy won't. I plan on just using a bottle kooler inside the bag for bottles and sippys. The bag is large enough for it.

Here's a link to read reviews about the bag and to see detailed pictures:

http://www.kinderstart.com/frame_for_links.php?redirect=http://www.ebags.com/products/index.cfm?ModelID=4998&CategoryID=3642&sub_site_ID=15&site_ID=1&subof=3642

I also have a Combi Urban Sling. No, it's not fashionable, but it seemed practical for everyday and short outtings.

HTH

Edited to add:

The NM bag retails for $110 at Pea in the Pod, but I was lucky to find one left at Baby Depot for $19.99. Can't beat a designer bag at discount price!! I would have paid full retail price for the bag, I love it that much!

MegND95
04-03-2003, 08:44 PM
Hi---I visited this store last April, while in Chicago for a bachlorette party. These bags are gorgeous! My college roommate knows the owner, and while I did not buy a bag, I did get a little make-up bag that is beautiful. Wonderful fabrics, very stylish.

cpike
04-03-2003, 08:45 PM
Coach has a nice leather one....

anna lisa
04-03-2003, 08:55 PM
The Coach Canvas bag is heavy I can't even imagine how heavy it must be in leather! It's a nice bag, but not it must hurt the shoulders when full.

Plus, I've heard that the shoulder straps are a little short and tend to fall off the shoulders.

cuca_
04-03-2003, 10:56 PM
I like the Kate Spade bags. I got a blue canvas one with red leather on the bottom. However, I can only speak about the style and not its practicability as I am not due until the end of May. While the bag does not have tons of pockets, it seems pretty spacious and light. I got a make-up bag and an insulated bag for smaller things and the bottles, respectively. While my bag closes with a ribbon, Kate Spade makes bags that have zippers as well as a messenger type bag. I like the fact that the bag looks a bit different without being babyish and is not the general run of the mill black microfiber diaper bag. Hope this helps.

SASM
04-04-2003, 02:04 AM
Anna Lisa,

When did you find your Nicole Miller at Baby Depot????? OMG...I want one at that price!!! A dream come true... What pattern was it ~ Stork or Baby?

Oh..Wish me luck!!

zuzu
04-04-2003, 10:31 AM
Has anyone seen the Le Sportsac baby bag?

http://www.lesportsac.com/store/7528_5205.html

I've tried to find it because I too am looking for something lightweight, but have yet to see it other than online. If it's like their messenger style bags, it probably has lots of pockets and compartments.

I did receive the Longchamp baby bag as a gift, and really like the way it looks--not at all like a diaper bag. It only has one outside pocket (full sized), but several inside. I'm still trying to decide whether to keep it.

http://www.longchamp.com/us/actualites/actualites.php3?id_news=29&langue=USA&numPage=1

Although it's not too stylish, DH has a Eddie Bauer bag that seems very practical and I'm sure we'll get lot of use out of that. I'm just looking for something I won't mind carrying around that will also double as my purse.

If you like tote bags, I have a few friends that have Sally Spicer baby bags. They said they do not have many pockets but are roomy and come in fun fabrics.

http://www.sallyspicer.com/

Happy shopping!!

celfsh
04-04-2003, 10:32 AM
Me too, me too! But alas my Baby Depot didn't have any :(.

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02
http://homepage.mac.com/the_big_fish

anna lisa
04-04-2003, 11:13 AM
Last weekend. So it's fairly recently.

This past week, two friends of mine also went to pick up a bag from two different Baby Depot locations on Long Island (so, I'm guessing that all stores received a shipment)

Good Luck it's a beautiful bag!!! And $19 is a STEAL!

Dcclerk
04-04-2003, 01:41 PM
I haven't had my baby yet, so I can't speak to its functionality, but all of my friends with kids have raved about the Petunia Picklebottom diaper bags. I like that you can use it either as a messenger bag or as a backpack. They say that even though it is made out of silk, it really is durable and doesn't show stains, even after a few years. In my dream world, this is the diaper bag that I would get.

[http://www.petuniapicklebottom.com/store/views/productdetail.asp?ssid=1&prod_id=138]

My husband claims, however, that he could not carry such a bag, so we'll see who wins:).

celfsh
04-04-2003, 03:06 PM
Ooh! Those Sally Spicer bags are tres chic! Which one do your friends use as a diaper bag?

celeste
mom to olivia 9/25/02
http://homepage.mac.com/the_big_fish

SASM
04-04-2003, 04:37 PM
Hi Annalisa!

Do you, by any chance, have an item number on the tags and/or receipt for the salespeople to reference? What pattern is it ~ stork or baby?

THANK YOU!!!

Kate123
04-04-2003, 07:26 PM
It looked cute on the website. How do you like it? What do you like/dislike about it? Lots of compartments? Is it very big? WHat color?

I actually bought the NEW Coach diaper bag (black not leather though) I think it's the NEW Multifunction tote. They are not so heavy and tapered up top so it does not look so bulky when filled, plus have straps that are more comfy. I am 90% sold on the looks and like it, but still on the search for something better.

Thanks for any info!
Kathy

memedee
04-04-2003, 08:58 PM
I called baby depot and they said if i could get the sku number they could see if they have it.
Do you think you could get it off your receipt
the man said it would say child and the number begins with 708 and there are eight digits after it
you could e mail me at [email protected] or post it
Thank you

SASM
04-05-2003, 12:33 AM
AnnaLisa,

THANK YOU SO MUCH!!! None of the Baby Depots in my area (or state for that matter) had one. Actually, they all thought that I was insane for asking about a Nicole Miller bag! I have to say...YEAH!!! A very nice manager happened to answer the phone at one store, did some tracking, and was able to find one for me on Long Island!!! Plus, they are transfering it to my store! The number matches yours :-) Thank you so much for sharing the information and GREAT buy!! I actually like that pattern MORE than the Babies and Storks ~ it is so fun!! If you can't have a margarita or martini, you might as well wear it, right?!!

THANK YOU...THANK YOU!!! :-)

JMarie
04-05-2003, 12:55 AM
I have the Sunset Dragon Roll bag and absolutely LOVE it! It's positively gorgeous, I get tons of compliments on it (particularly from DH's family), and it doesn't look anything like a diaper bag. It is very functional and just about the perfect size for a day out. DH said he wouldn't carry it, but he's been seen toting it around when he's too lazy to switch bags (we bought him an Eddie Bauer backpack diaper bag). I highly recommend this bag - it's a total splurge and completely worth it!

JMarie
Mom to Aidan Christopher 01/28/03

memedee
04-05-2003, 12:55 AM
I found one too!
Cant wait to get it.
they are transferring to store close to me.
Thanks so much!

SASM
04-05-2003, 01:13 AM
Dori,

Where did they end up finding your bag? I would love to get another one but they could only find one :-(

Thanks!

anna lisa
04-06-2003, 02:34 PM
Oh, your welcome! I'm so happy you were able to find one. It's really a wonderful bag and I do love the lining!

Enjoy it!! :)

It just makes your day sharing a bargain, doesn't it? :)

zuzu
04-07-2003, 09:58 AM
They have one called "baby bag." But it's very similar in design to some of their regular totes, with a few extra pockets.

zuzu
04-07-2003, 10:00 AM
Kathy--I replied to you on the other thread you started. I think I forgot to mention I got the black one though.

anna lisa
08-25-2003, 11:11 PM
I no longer have my receipt. I was so excited that day I threw the receipt and stuffing paper in the garbage so I can begin organizing the bag with supplies.

I did leave the Nicole Miller tag on and it says model #60135.

Also, it's not the storks or the babies pattern. I did a search and found out it's called the Mixed Drinks Cocktails pattern from 1999. You can say it's very "sex and the city" chic. :) Hey, it's cheaper than the Bugaboo! :)

I like that the pattern is not babyish, you can use the bag afterwards and never know it was a diaperbag. Plus, it's Mom's bag, who wants baby patterns.

Here's a tie I found on ebay that has the pattern: