PDA

View Full Version : Daddy needs help picking a stroller!? *information overload*

JunebugsDaddy
04-04-2003, 07:28 PM
Well my wife and I are expecting a baby girl in June and we're currently stuck, confused and basically exhausted with the amount of information that's out there.
Up until now I've been reading and searching the boards and I am still confused. We're first time parents and we need help.

We both will be working and driving seperate vehicle. (not sure if that helps but I'll toss it in)

We both like to head to the malls and to the parks but we aren't joggers.

I am a tech freak. I love the newest gadgets and quality items.

My wife would just go with the Graco Metrolite if I didn't have any input, but I want to make sure we get something that's safe, has quality and is stylish at the same time.

We test drove the Maclaren Buggy and we both loved the steering and the way it moved. I loved that I could use the Graco Snugfit until she was ready to move into the stroller. What we both weren't sure about was how comfortable it was. There was no padding. There was a Peg next to us and it had great padding. It looked like the Maclaren Techno.

Then low and behold I spotted a Britax Teutonia Toni and loved the way it moved (just like a Maclaren) and loved the padding. Wife thinks it's ugly. Any comments on the Toni?

For those that have the Maclaren how do you feel about the padding in the Buggy? Is the Quest the same with the padding?

Any suggestions on a stroller for a newborn that rolls like a Maclaren, has sufficient padding, can fit a Graco Snugfit carrier and is ideal for a newborn +?

Also when is it safe for a newborn to ride in the stroller? And how many strollers do we need as new parents?

Thank you.

jfolker
04-04-2003, 08:12 PM
I went throught the same thing trying to pick a stroller before our baby was born, and now we actually have three, plus a frame for the car seat.

We really like the convenience of the Kolcraft universal carseat carrier for quick erands. It's light, and it's easy to unfold from the trunk. Also, it's only about $50 or so.

As for a regular stroller for longer walks, etc., have you looked into Zooper strollers? www.zooperstrollers.com Since it sounds like you'll be in and out of the car a fair amount, you may want to check their Sport model, or even one of the ligher ones (the "EZ", I think it's called). Lots of people really like these strollers, and they're pretty cool looking. But, I'm not sure if their strollers fit infant seats or not.

Good luck,
Jim (Dad to Nate, 12/20/02)

Mommy2TinkNBoo
04-04-2003, 09:05 PM
I've owned the Toni - it didn't last long (aprox. 10 minutes) before it was to the point it couldn't be used.

There quality of the Toni is something I strongly feel needs to be worked on. I love the design and the features, the handle is nice height, it glides along smoothly - but the quality just isn't there.

With ours there was a plastic piece that came out of the lower part of the handle rod that made it impossible to open the stroller all the way and if I happened to pop it in right it was impossible to fold it - either way the handle wouldn't lock into place. I've also heard that some stores have had wheels falling off. There is also some question of the weight limit - BRU has it listed as 50 pounds but Britax has it listed in the 35 pound range.

If you're interested in the Maclarens, there is the Maclaren Global that takes infant seats, I'm not sure if that's the one you're talking about. I've had a few different Maclarens - a 2002 Vogue which I didn't care for and a 99-2000 or so Opus VI that I loved. I'm currently waiting on a Techno XT that should arrive next week!

Have you looked at the Peg Perego P3 yet? I am in love with that one but my DH has banned me from buying anymore strollers for a few months!

And now that I've turned my brain back on, there is the Bebecar Raider AT+ since you mentioned you looked at the Mountain Buggies, this is what I got after looking at the Mountain Buggy. It's a gorgeous plush stroller, infant car seats will fit in it but I haven't found a way to secure the seat in it. But you can also make a bassinet type seat for a newborn so they can face you. I bought mine in Canada (I'm in Seattle) and it's been worth every penny! You can see them at www.crocodile-kids.com. It's a bigger stroller with all terain wheels - but it's awesome for walking - it handles like a dream in really thick mud I found out recently! The front wheels swivel or lock.

As for how many strollers you need - it depends on what you need them for. I will have a total of two once the Techno gets here, one for the car and one for home (though I do toss it in the back of the van too) I have had in the last 6 years A LOT of strollers (under 100, more than 30) It's been about finding the right ones and what works for us, and a few of them have been great deals I can't pass up, and a few more were just really cool looking but turned out to not be what I wanted or needed.

If the stroller reclines flat you can use them from newborn on up.

HTH some!
~*~ Jess ~*~
Mommy to:
Boo 11/96 and Tink 12/01

memedee
04-04-2003, 10:20 PM
The Maclaren global is a great stroller but I really like the zooper it is called the z street
it is heavier than the global but a little more padded and does accomodate an infant car seat
the kolkraft infant carrier would be great to have in the second car if you do not want to move the stroller all the time but it is only good while the baby is in the carrier
I thought the Toni was a little heavy and it does not have a basket
The z street is much cooler looking
hth

cpike
04-04-2003, 11:29 PM
I'm in the same boat as you (1st baby is due in late May), but I decided to bite the bullet and buy the Bugaboo so I would have an 'all purpose' stroller that would still fit in the car with a week's worth of groceries. It's light, easy to steer, good for malls, parks, etc. Hopefully I won't need to buy another stroller, but only time will tell.

It was pricey, but hopefully everything will work out and we'll be thrilled.

The others I consider were:
1. Mountain Buggy Urban - came a very close second
2. Bertini M5 - a bit too big when folded
3. Maclaren Techno - not great recline for newborn
4. Zippy - didn't have the big wheels for 'offroad' walks

Best of luck...shopping for a stroller was the most painful shopping experience I've ever been through!

susabusa
04-04-2003, 11:46 PM
No experience with it, but my DH loves the look of the Mutsy and would get it in a heartbeat just to look cool pushing a stroller. LOL!

We currently have the MBUS and love it! Handles great in the mall and outdoors..

Stephanie

spikeso
04-05-2003, 04:10 AM
I was in your position not too long ago. I am also into gadgets, and like well built "stuff". Like you, my wife was fine with the Graco Metrolite, but I am also into researching purchases, and found this board and the ParentsPlace board. From advice received, we looked at

Maclaren Global (Buggy)
Peg Pliko
Zooper zStreet
Combi Ultra Savvy
Inglesina Zippy

You might also consider
Chicco 2002 (model name, not year)
Kidco LS3000

We got to look at all the first ones IRL, but not the last two. They are all about 14-20 lbs, except the Combi US, which is both smaller and lighter. They all take carseats, although the Pliko only takes the Peg carseat out of the box. (A universal adaptor bar can be bought on eBay.) As you will find when researching strollers, every stroller has its fans and detractors, its strengths and weaknesses. So, the best bet is to try as many as you can IRL at the store, post specific concerns and questions on the boards, and go from there. IMO, its kind of like buying a car. Cars are such individual purchases. Strollers are similar in that way.

We happened to choose the Zippy, but haven't used it yet. Our daughter is 3 weeks old, and we are soon going to venture out when the weather allows. We chose the Zippy because it has nice padding, near flat recline, a cool fold/unfold, relatively large wheels which will hopefully give for a smoother ride over more surfaces, and handles decently (not as good as Maclarens or Chicco's supposedly). Neither of us are tall, otherwise we might have gotten the Maclaren. We don't have a toddler second child, otherwise maybe the Peg. And the weight doesn't bother us, otherwise, maybe the Combi.

HTH
Neal

blnony
04-05-2003, 09:42 AM
Well, it looks like you've really thought about what you are going to use the stroller for, and that makes it a lot easier to narrow down your choices.

A Kolcraft carrier would work if you weren't planning on long walks or keeping the baby in the infant seat for long periods.
If you want a stroller that you can either use as a car seat carrier and a fully reclined stroller, you might want to look at the Inglesina Zippy, Zooper Sport or Z Street, Mac Global, Peg Pliko, or Peg Venezia. I've had Peg's and I'm not a big fan, but there are those out there that swear by them. I currently am using a Zippy and I really like it a lot. If you do a search here on the Zippy you will find a lot of reviews.

If you are looking for something with all terrain wheels, you are going to have to sacrifice on the indoor use capabilities. I have a Bebecar Style AT, and while it is great outdoors, it is not useful indoors ie. mall, shopping etc. It is just too big and doesn't steer well enough for tight spaces. The Zooper sport does have air wheels and that might help for outdoors. The Zippy does have larger wheels, but not air filled, and I've found it does fine on sidewalks, pavement etc. Not the Bebecar, but then there is a big difference what the two strollers were meant for. There are some wonderful choices in this category.

I also have a Toni, and I've never had any quality issues with it, but I don't think it really would suit your purposes. I wouldn't really use it with a new born, and I don't think your carseat would fit in it very well.

When your baby is a little older, you might want to consider a lightweight, umbrella type stroller for quick trips or errands. I have a Mac Techno that I love, but it isn't an all day stroller and I wouldn't use it for a newborn. But you can wait on that stroller until your baby is here and she what he/she likes at that time. Some babies don't like the way a Mac seat slants (we've never had a problem, but I've heard that other have.)

I think its hard to beat the steering of a Mac; my Zippy has great steering compared to my Peg, and the Toni is a little better, but my Mac is the best.
Sorry if I've made you decision harder, but the best thing is try them out if you can.

Tondi G
04-05-2003, 12:53 PM
your best bet for a stroller that steers more like a MAC but has the padding and can accomodate an infant carrier would probably be a Chicco 2002 (deluxe, trekking or training).. check out BCF Baby Depot or www.babyuniverse.com . It doesn't exactly say it will take an infant seat but the seat area is large enough to just drop an infant seat in and if you want to make up a strap it could very easily be done to make you feel more secure!

I would also have a look at the Inglesina Zippy or the Peg Perego Pliko.... on Pegs website go to the "whats new" section... check out the NEW P3 Pliko.... lots of people who have seen them in real life LOVE them.... we have a regular Pliko and love it... I am yearning to look at this new one... my hubby would kill me though!!!!LOL

The Macs are nice and for some babies it is absolutely fine (for a smaller baby look at the Vogue or Techno.. more recline and padding!!!).... but a lot of children do not like the slope of the seat and you will find yourself carrying the child in one hand and pushing the stroller with the other (maybe that is why they made sure to have such great steering..LOL!)

Other strollers that people love a round here

Mountain Buggy Urban.... a jogger type with a front swivel wheel that can easily manuver in the mall!
I love the look of the Teutonia Pixxel.... great for indoors and out with air tires... but it is heavy!
Zooper Z-street and Buddy... Z-street for indoors and the Buddy for out check out their website!

As long as your stroller has a good recline a newborn can ride in the stroller... it is actually better for them to ride flat than in the infant seat... but it is so convenient if they fall asleep to jus tbe able to put the seat in the car and go rather than waking baby to transfer from seat to stroller or vice versa!!!!

Good Luck
~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01!

JunebugsDaddy
04-06-2003, 01:36 PM
I just wanted to say thanks to all that replied. My wife and I ended up going with the Zooper Z-Street.

We loved the steering, look, recline and that it could hold an infant carrier. Of course I only tested it in the store, but felt it was comparible to a Mac in steering, fold and the ergonomically correct handles were the same. Unlike the Mac the Z-Street has tons of padding.

Who know's how it'll work in real time, but for now I'm happy to finally have that checked off the list and am confident I made the right decision.

Thank you to all who responded with the helpful comments.