PDA

View Full Version : Portable DVD/VCR Player for Plane Travel w/ 1Yr Old

shanesmom
04-05-2003, 02:35 AM
Hello --
We will be traveling for 7 hours on a flight with our 1 yr. old; I've heard that some people recommend a portable dvd/video type player (similar to those that can be purchased for cars) can work for plane travel. Does anyone have any experiences with this? Can anyone recommend a good one? Don't want to spend a ton of cash!
Thanks.

ginalc
04-05-2003, 02:40 AM
We've used our laptop for travel purposes to play DVDs. I priced the VCR players and they are pretty available at stores like Target.

cdlamis
04-08-2003, 03:43 PM
We purchased a portable dvd player made by Apex for around $300. It can also be used in the car if you had a way to make it stay in place. It has the screen built right in. We use it on the plane and you can connect it to a tv (like in a hotel room) and play your dvd's through the tv.
We like it so far and the screen quality is pretty good. It is probably one of the least expensive brands of port dvd players out there.
Here is a link to it:

www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00008N6XA/qid=1049833606/sr=8-1/ref=sr_8_1/102-7607734-8326558?v=glance&s=electronics&n=507846

Hope this helps-
Daniella

C99
04-08-2003, 04:20 PM
We also use a laptop for watching DVDs. If you'll be traveling for 7 hours, just make sure that you have charged an extra battery for it. :)

suribear
04-09-2003, 02:48 PM
Make sure the airline doesn't have personal video screens on the seat backs. Our dd loved those! It would save you from having to buy something..

KRis

sntm
04-13-2003, 06:13 AM
jet blue is one airline that has tvs for each seat. i can't remember exactly, but think they has the cartoon network as one of the options.

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03

mamaharsh
04-14-2003, 10:30 AM
I just purchased an Initial DVD player with a 4" screen from Walmart.com for ~$200. It was reviewed as being good for the price.

When are you traveling? I'm expecting to receive mine this week and we will be traveling with it in 2 weeks. I'd be happy to report back our experiences if you are interested.

Sara, mom to 18 month old Nate

shanesmom
04-14-2003, 12:07 PM
Thank you to everyone for all of the suggestions.
Sara, we are not traveling until May 22nd. I'd love to hear of your experiences with the portable DVD player. Thanks so much. Enjoy your vacation and I'd love to hear if you have any other suggestions after your travels with Nate!

Oh, can that model run on batteries? Most of the players I've seen only work with car auto lighters or electric plugs. I'm not sure how I can use one of those on an airplane. I thought about using a laptop, but my 1 year old would just go crazy banging on that keyboard the entire time, I'm sure! Does anyone know of a DVD or Video Player that would work on batteries so that I can use it on the plane?

Thank you again,
Doris, mom to Shane, 12 months

shanesmom
04-14-2003, 12:11 PM
Thanks for the Personal video Screen suggestion; Unfortunately, our flight does not have these. Maybe next time?! Thanks again. :)

shanesmom
04-14-2003, 12:14 PM
Thanks for the suggestion. But how to you prevent a baby from attacking the keyboard for the entire flight?!

shanesmom
04-14-2003, 12:16 PM
Thanks Daniella. I looked it up, but can't tell if it can work on batteries too. Do you know? We'll need to be able to power it on a plane ride. Thanks!!

mamaharsh
04-14-2003, 12:40 PM
Doris,

The Initial does come with a battery. I think it only lasts for about 4 hours, but I think you can buy an extra one. It also comes with the car adapter and a normal plug. I know nothing about the quality at this point, so I'll have to get back to you on that point.

I travel with Nate at least once every two months, usually by myself, so here are some other suggestions.

1. Snacks, especially those that they have to concentrate on eating, ie, one cheerio at a time.

2. Fisher price has a toy that has lots of different buttons that just make noise called the Bright and silly sound center http://www.fisherprice.com/us/sesame/products/thumbnail.asp?cat=preschool&catcode=ss_presch
This used to entertain Nate for quite a while in the car or plane. The noises can't really be heard by anyone else due to the sound of the plane.

3. Lots of different books and small toys that they can manipulate.

4. Nate loves his travel magnadoodle and has for quite some time.

On our last trip, Nate spent 30 minutes pouring a small amount water between a bottle and a sippy cup (just make sure it's a VERY small amount). Then he spent another 10-20 minutes taking the lid off and on the bottle. I always try to have a new book or toy and have some "old" ones that I hid for a while before the trip.

Hope that helps.

Sara, mom to 18 month old Nate

shanesmom
04-14-2003, 04:15 PM
Sara --
Thanks for all of the great suggestions. We've never traveled with Shane before via plane (only short car trips), so we're quite nervous about how he'll react to having to sit still for so long. I'm going to try and get the magnadoodle and the other toy you recommended. Glad to hear the player has a battery option. Four hours should be fine....Oh, by the way, can you recommend any favorite DVDs? Thanks again for all the info.
Doris, Mom to Shane, 12 ms. :)

angie
04-15-2003, 01:08 PM
Hello!
We purchased a portable DVD before a 12 hour car ride with my 16 month old. It was the best investment!!!
We purchased the Toshiba SDP2000. It is pricey, but was reviewed as one of the top players and has one of the largest screens. You can get an adaptor that works for both the car and plane travel. I have not tried it on a plane, but it works great in the car.
I highly recommend it.
Angie

Kimberly H
04-16-2003, 05:20 PM
Not all flights/planes/classes have the seats with plugs for laptops and DVD players so definitely be prepared with a back-up option.

ameelo
04-22-2003, 11:49 PM
Sara,

I'ved been looking for one of the silly sound centers and can't find them anywhere. do you mind sharing when you got it and where?

thanks,

Amee