PDA

View Full Version : Can I use a hip carrier?

Magda
04-05-2003, 10:03 PM
I would like to use a hip carrier for my 9 mo old son because he is just too heavy to carry for a long peroid of time. Bought an OTSBH today (garage sale, 5$) but he moves around so much it didn't seem safe. He likes to twist his torso foreward and it felt like he would fall out. Is is adjusted wrong or is this just a bad option (or do we just need more practice)? Would a hip hammock or something like that be any better?

Please advise.

Thanks,
Elaine

ginalc
04-06-2003, 12:15 AM
I own several carriers and find them all to work in pretty much the same way. They hold baby close to you and you have to use less upper body energy to hold them. It can make your life easier, but it does take time for both of you to get used to it, regardless of the carrier. I find the OTSBH to work best if you take the material between the sewn tail and the sling rings and pull REALLY hard on the upper batting to tighten it. Somehow, this fits my baby and me better. Also, it may to helpful to try different carry positions, until both of you are used to how it feels.

Have you visited this site? http://kangarookorner.com/page8.html

There are photos provided on how to use the OTSBH. There is also a sling trouble-shooting guide that may be helpful for you.

Don't know if your DS has gone through the stage where he screams as if "his arm has been chopped off" every time you put him down, but when that happens, you'll be glad to have ANY carrier around!

I should add, too, that although I love slings and carriers, they are not for everyone. I have 2 friends who have recently had babies and I have tried and tried to teach them to use slings. For them, it's just too much work and/or too difficult. Also, some children don't do well in slings or are just too heavy to carry this way. My suggestion would be to really give this sling a try for a few weeks.

Good Luck!

gina