PDA

View Full Version : Zooper Spot, Chicco Caddy, Combi Travel Savvy

momentofclarity
04-07-2003, 09:14 AM
I am finally resigning myself to having two strollers -- one that can handle rough sidewalks & long walks in the park and one lightweight.

I'm leaning toward the Zooper Sport for a hardy stroller, but it's 24 pounds. What do folks think about the Zooper Sport? Is 24 pounds heavy enough to be annoying? Will I curse myself every time I take it in & out of the car? If I get this stroller, do I definitely need a lightweight second stroller?

If I'm going to get a lightweight second stroller, I'm considering the Chicco Caddy and the Combi Travel Savvy. Thoughts on those?

Looking forward to reading your advice!

momathome
04-07-2003, 12:32 PM
I know a lot of people are happy with the Chicco caddy, although it doesn't have a basket. The Travel Savvy has gotten a lot of negative feedback - it's too small for most kids over 2 and difficult to steer. Have you considered the Inglesina Swift or the Maclaren Daytripper? They are both very popular , good quality, and not too expensive ($100-129). I have a Maclaren Vogue that I use for my umbrella/travel stroller and I love it! I don't know much about Zooper - they are supposed to be great quality, but 24lbs is awfully big for a lightweight stroller. Good luck!
-Lauren

smomom
04-07-2003, 01:14 PM
I have a Zooper Sport. I love it dearly, but it is heavy enough to be a little cumbersome for frequent loading and unloading. I made the decision to buy the Sport because weight was not a huge issue for me. I wanted a stroller that was durable enough for frequent walks at home on rough roads, but manageable if I did take it out mall-ing. So far it has served its purpose. In the future I may buy an umbrella stroller to leave in the car for quick excursions.

Here are my favorite features of the Sport:
- it rides like a dream! ok, technially I am not the one riding in it, but it handles very smoothly. My DS loves it.
- the straps are padded and the seat is more plush than on many strollers I looked at.
- it steers great. no problems with 1 handed steering.
- I occaisionally walk in the evening and like the reflector strip on the shade.
- I live in the Midwest so I have found the boot to be very useful on cold day outings. I haven't used the rain and shade covers, but they are handly also. (they have the cool climate product line now that for a lesser price doesn't come with the boot)
- once you get the hang of it, the folding mechanism is easy
- you can't beat Zooper for customer service. they are extremely responsive.
- it is infant car seat compatible, but it also has a feature to zip up the feet (for lack of a better description) so the the bottom of the stroller is closed in, creating a sort-of bassinet effect. You can unzip this part when the baby is older and has feet that will hang longer.
- there's a peep hole in the shade cover to keep an eye on the little one.

Here are the cons:
- pray you don't have a blow-out. I worked forever trying to remove one of the tires to replace the inner tube. Zooper is sending me another one now. Thankfully you have 8 tires, so if one blows you're still ok.
- although the Zooper has a basket, it is not extremely large. It is mainly accessed from the sides. I can't fit my diaper bag in it, but it holds plenty of shopping bags so far. I hang my diaper bag on the handles.
- if weight is an issue, it may be cumbersome to load and unload frequently. I don't do a lot of frequent in-and-outs so I haven't found this to be an issue for me.
- I am tall (5'10") and would love to have a couple more inches on the handle height when I am trying to "power walk". For strolling, the height is fine, but when I am walking faster I wish it were higher. I did find a handle height extender at one step ahead that I may try.

Sorry to ramble, but if the Sport fits your needs I would highly recommend it. You will most likely still need a lighter-weight stroller in the future, but this one is great for a comfortable ride for baby.

hope that helps.....

vikivoly
04-07-2003, 11:44 PM
Instead of the Zooper Sport, why not go with the Zooper Z-Street. I did a side by side comparison. The Z-street is lighter and steers better. The basket on the Sport is a little bigger. I don't think you'll lose much as far as "hardiness" goes. I've used my Z-Street in the winter and pushed through snow & ice. I think it's a very good all-purpose stroller.