PDA

View Full Version : Question for short moms! What carrier works best for short/petite moms? Bjorn, pouch, sling, other?

dueinmay
04-07-2003, 01:15 PM
Hi everyone,
I've heard that the Bjorn may be awkward for short or petite moms to wear (e.g., hard to reach around to use your hands if your arms are short, hard to adjust to a comfortable position, or just too bulky and encumbering). I am 5'0". Anyone out there somewhere near my height with experience with the Bjorn, or with any of the other carriers (pouch or sling)? I've been looking forward to purchasing one (or more!) and wanted to be able to wear the baby quite extensively. Any suggestions would be welcome! Thanks!! :)

Rebecca
#1 due 5-13-03

sparkeze
04-07-2003, 03:01 PM
I'm 5'1" and I've used the Baby Bjorn without any problems. Well, until DS got really big that is. I think any carrier will seem more bulky on someone small but that's just because the baby is the same size whether you're 5'0" or 5'10" and the baby will look and seem bigger carried by the smaller person. I loved using it and did quite a lot (up to 5-6 hours a day!)

If you plan on getting the OTSBH and you're slender, I would suggest getting the size small. I have a medium and I think a small would have worked out better.

withnf
04-07-2003, 03:45 PM
I'm 5'1" and had no problems with the Baby Bjorn. I never tried any other form of carrier, so I can't compare, but I didn't feel limited when i was wearing the Bjorn. Hope that helps!

dueinmay
04-09-2003, 02:21 PM
Many thanks, both of you, for the info on your experiences. I think I will go ahead and get the Bjorn, as I planned, and probably a second carrier, too; some kind of sling or pouch, probably Kang Korner fleece pouch -- maybe -- am still overwhelmed by all the choices! The info on this board is so helpful, though!

Thanks again for your help!! :)

Rebecca
#1 due 5-13-03

suribear
04-09-2003, 02:46 PM
I'm 5' 1.5" and the Baby Bjorn was okay until 15 lbs. I much prefer the baby trekker, though, which is much more comfortable but a bit harder to put on.

Kris