PDA

View Full Version : Slings with or without tail? Pouches?

SASM
04-09-2003, 02:40 PM
In your experience, what are the advantages/disadvantages to having a tail? I prefer the more tailored "no tail" look but have the opportunity to buy a GREAT sling (with tail) at a good price. What am I missing if I don't have a tail, other than making adjustments to the length?

Has anyone compared fleece vs. fabric pouches?

Calmegja
04-09-2003, 02:51 PM
Is it padded or not?

That to me is waaay more key than whether or not it has a tail....

I have a Maya, a lightly padded Solarveil sling, and several fleece puches (and numerous other carriers, but we're talking slings here)
;-)

Out of those options, I like the Maya the least. I have a hard time with unpadded slings, but I've got bony shoulders and a flat chest, so there's not much cushion there.... I like the tail for covering up during nursing. It's harder in a fleece pouch (marginally so), but the tail is good in the Maya (and mine has a pocket, so that's good for storage...

My lightly padded shoulder sling is more comfortable, and I do like it, but my all time favorite is a fleece pouch (or two, or three)...

SASM
04-09-2003, 02:59 PM
It is not padded and made of a light cotton natural fabric. I am definitely NOT flat-chested (BFing 2mo) and my shoulders are average, I guess.

spa
04-09-2003, 04:06 PM
Sharyn,
Usually if there is no tail, there is less ability to adjust the sling. Pouches are usually not adjustable, except for the wonderful Kangaroo Korner fleece pouches, which have three (or more at an additional cost) rows of snaps, but even still, once you have it on, you can't really adjust the fit too much. Slings with rings and tails like OTSBH, Sling Ezee, Rosado, Maya, etc. all have much greater adjustability. Some people are intimidated by the tails and prefer to have a non-adjustable pouch like the New Native Carrier, but IMO, a tail can make things easier, especially with a small baby. With an older baby and toddler, you tend to wear them on your hip, so the need for adjustments is minimal, but with a young baby, it's good to know you can make the fit just right.

csa12
04-10-2003, 02:35 PM
Hi Sharyn!

I have the Maya wrap and although I wasn't able to use it when Liam was first born (the pocket was too deep for him to feel comfortable) I enjoy using it now. I wear him in the vertical newborn position and having a tail is really helpful in getting a good fit. Also, I like the look of the tail. It doesn't necesarily fan out or hang too long, it kind of looks like a cool sash of pretty fabric. I have fabric #39 which is a deep red pattern.

But now I may try a hotsling pouch just b/c its inexpensive and now that Liam is getting older I won't have to adjust as much to wear him on my hip.

Hope all is well and good luck with picking your sling!
Cheryl

egoldber
04-10-2003, 02:54 PM
The advantage is that it is adjustable. The disadvantage is that is adjustable. :) With a pouch sling, it always at the right size. It is a bit harder to take your babe in and out.

Personally, I think it is all what you get used to. I also prefer the pouch "look" and the incredible ease and convenience of the way a pouch folds up to nothing.

HTH,