PDA

View Full Version : Baby Sling/Carrier for premie?

schr_ei
04-09-2003, 09:39 PM
Hi,

Well my darling little boy surprised us by coming 6 weeks early, before any showers or shopping. I had planned on buying a fleece pouch and a Bjorn carrier but given that he is only 5lbs 4 oz I am wondering if this is still the best idea. I know I can't use the Bjorn until he is at least 8 lbs. I'm not sure about slings...Does anyone have any suggestions for the best sling to use with a little guy?

Thanks in advance!

ginalc
04-09-2003, 09:57 PM
Congratulations on your new arrival!!!

I would encourage you to write (e-mail) Tanya at Kangaroo Korner and ask her advice. She has always answered my e-mails promptly and has been very helpful!

My girlfriend was able to use my old KK lightly padded sling with her 5 lb. baby, she just tucked a receiving blanket underneath and it worked well.

The fleece pouch fit my newborn really well and I found it very simple to use, even easier than the sling! (and I LOVE cloth slings!) But he was full-term and a little bigger. I think the pouch would be OK to use with your new baby, as long as you folded the material under him. An avid sling user, I find that I use my pouch more because it feels so comfy and cozy, like they are still a part of you! :-)

HTH
gina, mom to 3

daisymommy
04-10-2003, 08:10 AM
Since you use your fleece pouch so much I thouht I would ask you for your help...I have one, and am so frustrated! Josh is big enough that I can only carry him on my hip now. Unless I put him in it on the shortest snap setting, the sling stretches out to touch my thighs after only 5 minutes. But with it on the shortest setting, it is so tight I'm afraid the lycra edge banding/hem is cutting into the bottoms of his thighs. Do you roll that edge under or something? I'm used to my OTSBH which I adore, and it's padded rails under his legs. Also, the edge of the pouch digs into my neck and restricts my shoulder movement. Any ideas?
Thanks!

ginalc
04-10-2003, 10:02 AM
Hi Daisymommy,

I would suggest that you write to Tanya and ask her advice too! My pouch does not have that much stretch. I remember reading that some fabrics stretch more than others. I would ask Tanya about yours and share with her how much trouble you've had. I've always had super responses from her and I know she wants her customers to enjoy using her products, especially this early in your child's life. You should get at least one if not 2 years use out of your pouch!

Have you tried the middle set of snaps? I find that the pouch fits best when it feels snug on me. It stretches gently to accomodate my 2 year old without the binding digging into her legs/thighs. And yes, I do usually fold the material up so that it sort of "catches" under her bottom. As long as there is some material to catch the groove under her bottom and a small portion of thigh, I don't worry about her going anywhere. Her arms and head are cuddled around me. She also likes to have her legs tucked inside the pouch (fetal position) at times too.

I hope this helps.....I find that I am most comfortable when the center of the pouch fits over my shoulder. Not too close to the neck, not too restricting of my shoulder movement. Certainly can't play volleyball with it on, :-) but I can do some grocery shopping, drink from a cup, push a stroller and write checks. :)

I use the pouch mostly for short trips, and as a footmuff/blanket cover in the stroller and carseat. I definitely prefer the adjustable slings for nursing. I use a BabyTrekker for long walks.

I still encourage you to contact Tanya. She has so much more experience than I do!

gina, mom to 3

Calmegja
04-10-2003, 10:36 AM
Yep...I'd write Tanya...I have several fleece pouches, and carrying my 11 month old or 3 year old, I've never had them stretch like that at all....

Maybe there's something wrong with the fleece? Mine stretch out to put the baby in, but then they kind of snap back and snuggle around the baby again....

Anyways, contact Tanya, she's super to work with, and I'm sure she'll help....