PDA

View Full Version : Travelling by airplane with Combi Ultra Savvy - HELP

ctsiouts
04-11-2003, 10:36 PM
Hi -- I have both a 2001 Combi Ultra Savvy and a 2002 Kelty Convertible stroller. I am thinking of taking the Combi on a trip this sunday to Florida. I want to know if anyone has any hints for how to make sure my stroller does NOT get trashed during gate check. I have heard that a lot of the strollers get damaged by the luggage guys. I really don't want to have to buy a separate stroller carrying bag though. Is there any way to take it on the plane?
Any other plane travel recs. would be appreciated!
Thanks so much

Christy
DD Anya Christina 08.09.02

sbaker
04-11-2003, 11:22 PM
I have traveled a few times with my Maclaren Vogue. I was too cheap to buy the Maclaren bag, so I measured my stroller and went to the Container Store. I bought a cheap ($10) black canvas duffle bag and used it for a stroller storage bag. It was a little large so we stuffed our jackets around the stroller - less for us to carry onto the plane and a little extra protection for my stroller. So far my Mac Vogue has been gate checked without incident.
I think sporting goods stores carry large canvas duffle bags, too.
Hope this helps..
:)
Sara
SAHM to Rayce

egoldber
04-12-2003, 07:28 AM
I have gate checked many different strollers many times and I have NEVER had a problem and I have never used a bag. That being said, it is not unheard of for an airline to damage a stroller. If your stroller is irreplaceable to you, then don't bring it. If it isn't, gate check it and don't worry about it. I personally think that the hassle of a bag isn't worth it.

Also, I have heard stories of airline employees being confused by stroller bags, thinking that the item is gate checked carry-on (as opposed to a stroller) and taking the items to regular baggage claim.

HTH,