PDA

View Full Version : Stroller help

ginamlee
04-11-2003, 11:30 PM
I have just received the new 5th edition Baby Bargains.

This is my 4th child (unexpected, so most baby gear is gone).

I see that travel systems are not recommended.

We are a family that LOVES amusement parks and similar outings. With my last child, we had the Evenflo Osh Kosh travel system and loved it. People complain about weight, but what was more important to us was the HUGE basket, parent tray, and plenty of room for the baby. We used the snap in feature for the infant seat regularly while my son was in it.

The best comparable system on the market seems to be the Graco Chauffeur because of the quality of the car seat.

But, with all the bad talk about these mass market travel systems, I have looked into the Peg Perego. I think the Atlantico Sportiva or Trek models seem to be the most similar to what we are looking for - we'd have to get the Viaggio car seat, which is fine.

What are the baskets like on these? We need a big basket with 4 kids...our Evenflo one was regularly stuffed full.

Is it really worth the price difference? This will be our last kiddo.

We have a Combi Savvy Z which we can use when we need lightweight and small. What we are looking for now is something packed with features.

Should we go with the Peg Perego or will the Graco Chauffeur work just as well for our situation?

ginalc
04-12-2003, 02:53 AM
I would go with the Graco Chauffeur.

I have a Peg and I like it alot, but previously I owned a Graco and that was fine too. There are so many other ways to spend money on your child besides a terrific stroller that will last 10 years.

gina, mom to 3

Calmegja
04-12-2003, 08:48 AM
I have an Atlantico (bought for my fourth child, after running through two Gracos)...it's the attributes you're talking about, with the higher quality. Big basket, great sun protection, plush fabrics, cupholders for all...

It's a tough call. Gina's right that there are lots of things to spend your money on for the baby, but if you're like me (and I have 4 kids), you need dependability and durability, because with four kids, you will be out and about much more than you would be with just one child....

I would never buy a stroller based on a carseat. There are issues coming to the light about possible head deformation (plagiocephaly), and respiratory issues with children who spend too much time in carseats. The current recommendation is 20 minutes on either side of a trip, then take the baby out of the carseat, and either place them in a reclined stroller (changing their position often), or carry them in a frontpack or sling....

With my four kids, I never used the carseat outside of the car. I always transferred them to a carrier (frontpack/sling), or a reclined stroller.

The PV carseat isn't a highly recommended carseat. The Graco is....

If you really want the feature of being able to transport baby in the carseat, outside of the car, you could get a Snap and go carseat frame stroller. They're cheap, and they get the job done, and you can spend your money ona stroller that will suit your needs better, and for a longer period of time. A stroller from Graco that comes with the travel system is not as likely to last as long....

Poke around here, check the archives...you'll find lots of reveiws on the strollers you mentioned, all which would be good material for figuring out what you want to do. You may also want to look up plagiocephaly, and reclined respiratory issues in infants.....;-)

Congratulations on the babe...I have four, and it can be crazy around here, but it has been an amazing trip so far!

momathome
04-12-2003, 12:26 PM
The Graco Chauffer is huge and quite bulky - if you want a Graco, this is probably not the best stroller to get. The Metrolite or Sterling systems are not quite so bulky and have big baskets. I personaly am a huge fan of Peg Perego - the quality of their strollers can't be beat. I have a Pliko Sherpa Bubble and a Venezia - the pliko basket is kind of flimsy but holds a fair amount, if you added a stroller bag to the back, you would probably be fine. The Venezia has a more traditional basket and a snack tray for the baby. One thing to keep in mind in you invest in a better quality stroller - once your baby outgrows it, you can always consign it and get some of your money back. Gracos aren't worth anything in the resale market. Just something to keep in mind! Good luck and congratulations!
-Lauren

Tondi G
04-12-2003, 12:27 PM
you could alwasy get the Kolcraft Universal Car seat Carrier to start to transport the infant seat of your choice and it has a HUGE basket and parent tray etc.... then when baby outgrows the car seat buy the stroller that serves your needs best and your child likes!!!! Honestly I know lots of people who have the Evenflo strollers with the one handed turning etc and really love the big basket etc.... Have a friend who had a Graco Chauffer and the whole back end started swaying.. they returned it and have a jogger and a cheepy umbrella now.... it all depends on what your needs are / will be!!!!!

The Atlantico is a nice stroller and you can often find them on e-bay... maybe check stroller swap too... I think there was one up on there as well, used only a handful of times!!!!!

Good Luck!
~Tondi and Mason... PLIKO lovers!!!!

stillplayswithbarbies
04-12-2003, 01:19 PM
The Kolcraft Universal Car Seat carrier has a big basket and a parent tray. You could get whatever infant seat you like and use that for the stroller at first. That is what we are doing and I love it. I have a Bertini stroller for later after she outgrows the infant seat.

I had a Graco with my first child and it didn't even last through his needs. The wheel snapped off and Graco would not do anything about it, nor would the store where I bought it since it had been more than 90 days (their return policy). That was 12 years ago, but I swore I would never buy another Graco. They just are cheaply made and not durable.

...Karen
Jake age 12
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

anna lisa
04-12-2003, 10:42 PM
Have you looked at the Graco Quattro? It's new for 2003. It looks pretty cool. New shape for Graco. I checked it out in person and have to say, I really envy the large basket.

I have friends who swear by their Gracos. I just don't think they are for every lifestyle. If you've loved your travel system in the past, your'll love the new models. They are lighter and more sporty looking. Plus the weight of the stroller won't bother you so much as your used to it.

I'd say go for a travel system and skip the expensive strollers (you will miss the large baskets).

Here's the Graco Quattro:
http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/tg/detail/-/B00006AMZQ/qid=1050203853/br=1-16/ref=br_lf_ba_16//002-7179529-4612848?v=glance&s=baby&n=542442

Oh, I just remembered. The Jeep Liberty has been getting great reviews and it has LOTS of storage. Big basket and saddlebags too. I don't think it's suitable for a newborn (you might have to start with the Kolcraft carseat stroller first)but I bet the Jeep Liberty will be a perfect theme park stroller!

Here's the Kolcraft Carseat Stroller:
http://www.strollers4less.com/proddetail.cfm?CFID=3075807&CFTOKEN=65434846&ItemID=104&CategoryID=5

Here's the Jeep Liberty:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=1956908&cat=5427&type=1&dept=5427&path=0%3A5427

ginamlee
04-12-2003, 11:17 PM
I'm still pondering and researching...and paying close attention to all of your advice.

You all are very friendly and helpful! Thank you so much!

Gina
mom to
Madison, almost 13
Mariah, 11
Atticus, 5
baby due September

ginalc
04-13-2003, 10:24 PM
Hi Gina,

I just noticed that you have a 5 year old. My suggestion? Go shopping and have your 5 year old sit in the stroller and push it around! I cannot imagine a better test for a stroller than to push a real child who challenges the upper weight limits!

Also, I would second the vote for the Jeep Liberty Stroller with front swivel wheel. The front swivel wheel gives new meaning to strollers and I believe that Instep is the company that makes the Jeep brand too. I have an Instep 10K jogger that I have used for 2 years and it is holding up GREAT!!! The bicycle style wheels make pushing a breeze!

Good Luck!

gina, mom to 3

Ryansmom
04-14-2003, 09:20 AM
Hi Gina,

I had orginally purchased the Peg Atlantico Travel System. However, the Viaggio car seat did not fit well into either of my cars (even after re-installation and inspection from a CPS tech). I then purchased a Graco Snugride and The Kolcraft Universal Car Seat Carrier. This combo worked great! The Car Seat Carrier's big basket and a parent tray made quick errands very easy.

I kept the Peg Atlantico stroller and love it! It's perfect for the frequent long walks we do and it's medium-weight isn't a problem for in and out of the car now that DS has outgrown his Snugride. I am able to lift the Atlantico out of the car and open it with one hand, while holding squirmy DS.

Bottom line: It is most important to find a car seat that has a very good fit in your car.

Good luck!

ginamlee
04-14-2003, 12:48 PM
I'm starting to think that the Jeep Liberty might be a good choice for our family.

I'm seeing at least a couple of different versions. How may versions are there?

Here's one:
http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=1956908&cat=5427&type=1&dept=5427&path=0%3A5427&xsell=1956907

Here's another:
http://www.dreamtimebaby.com/jeepliblimur.html

Thanks!

ginalc
04-14-2003, 05:24 PM
Here's a great site for info:

http://joggingstroller.com/brand/instep/safari.shtml

gina, mom to 3