PDA

View Full Version : Bjorn Lovers: What Carrier Works Best After the Bjorn?

August Mom
04-12-2003, 08:35 PM
DS LOVES the Bjorn. I really like it too, but I recognize that in the not so distant future we'll need another carrier. I've also concluded that DS and I aren't sling/pouch people. We've tried the Maya Wrap and the KK Fleece Pouch and I don't think we have a solution. I'm considering one of the hip carriers (Hip Hammock, WRF or Sara's Ride), a Baby Trekker or an Ergo Baby Carrier. For those of you who loved the Baby Bjorn (or whose babies loved the Bjorn) which carrier worked best for you after the Bjorn?

Also, for those of you with an Ergo, can you wear it on the front with the baby facing out? That's DS's favorite position, but the photos on the Ergo website only show the baby facing in.

TIA

zoethebeagle
04-12-2003, 09:32 PM
We loved the bjorn, too. Your son is younger than my daughter but we got a backpack around the time she turned one. It's totally different than the bjorn but Caleigh LOVES it. We bought the Madden Voyager. It's great for walking in the park with our dog and we recently used it for our day at the zoo- which was great since she could see the animals much better from up there than in the stroller. I find it very comfortable and she loves it.

I also just ordered a sling from hotslings.com to try out with my daughter for something a little different- more for shorter neighborhood walks.

Erika
Caleigh 9/11/01

August Mom
04-13-2003, 12:53 PM
Can you easily adjust a backpack carrier so that both parents can use it? Just wondering. We had thought about one of those but I wasn't sure if we would use it often enough and I have done zero research on the backpack front. Thanks for the suggestion.

ginalc
04-13-2003, 10:05 PM
An important feature to look for as your child gets heavier is waist support. The Baby Trekker carrier has excellent support that distributes weight evenly across your entire torso. Works well with different sized parents, too.

I was unable to use the Bjorn because it had no waist support and my babies are big from birth. I love my Baby Trekker and use it more than I ever used my framed back carrier. The Baby Trekker has terrific padding and folds into itself to hang from a stroller handle when not in use.

Haven't tried the Ergo carrier because I'm set with the Baby Trekker, but it looks similar, just appears to have less padding.

The trick about the Baby Trekker is that the material that supports baby's bottom spreads wide to provide support with baby facing in. When used with baby facing out, there are 2 thick velcro'd strips that gather the material tight so that baby's legs are more comfortable. I would imagine that you could do the same with the Ergo carrier, it may very well be made this way, too.

Tanya at www.KangarooKorner.com is an expert at providing advice and suggestions on carriers. She has some useful charts and "How To Choose" features that I found helpful. Check out her website and e-mail her with your situation and questions. I'm sure she's be happy to help out! I saw that she now sells the Ergo carriers, too! :)

HTH

gina, mom to 3

zoethebeagle
04-14-2003, 08:22 AM
I can only speak for our Madden backpack, but it is simple to make adjustments. We brought Caleigh to the zoo yesterday and my husband and I both took turns carrying her in the backpack.

Erika
Caleigh 9/11/01

spa
04-23-2003, 10:12 AM
I love Tanya at Kangaroo Korner. She's really a wonderful resource. I recently returned the Ergo to her, because it just wasn't made for large-breasted women. My husband found the design flawed and it really only works as a front and back carrier. As a hip carrier, the straps dig into shoulder. And as a back carrier, there isn't much support for the baby's upper back, so if you have a baby who flings his head back or squirms, it is less stable.

Anyway, my favorite carriers post-Bjorn are my three slings: Sling Ezee, Maya, and Adjustable Fleece Pouch.

jenmcadams
04-23-2003, 11:33 AM
Our Kelty Backpack (Back Country Model) is also easy to adjust. We used it from about 6 months and Abbie had always loved it.

hardysmom
04-23-2003, 03:18 PM
Hey-- I have used several backpacks and reviewed several. If you do a search, you should find a lot of discussions last summer. I have had a Madden, 2 Vaudes, a Kelty, and a UK imported Bush-Baby. Do your homework! One person's perfect carrer is another persons major bach ache. For example, the Madden is an excellent carrier, but doesn't fit shorter people very well. My husband loved it, but I couldn't tolerate it for more that a few minutes.

For an easy-duty, post-bjorn carrier, I really like Hip Hammock. I use mine with my hefty 30lb 17mo DS. I have some pretty serious back problems, buyt it has never given me too much trouble.

Stephanie