PDA

View Full Version : cheap umbrella stroller

nofeea
04-14-2003, 12:11 PM
Hi. Any suggestions for a cheap umbrella stroller with recline? Any feedback on Kolcraft vs. Chicco Caddy? I already have a PP Venezia which I love for every day walks ( NYC) but it's rather bulky for in and out of the car to Grandma's house... DH wants small and convenient (but he's tall so the handles can't be too short :) )

blnony
04-14-2003, 01:46 PM
I would recommend a Mac. I have a Techno and I love this stroller. Maclaren has a lot of lightweight umbrella stroller choices with great options, and I don't think you can beat Mac steering. Maybe look at the Quest, Triumph or Techno. Also, my husband is 6'1" and he likes the Mac because its much easier for him to push than our other strollers.
To look at them go to Maclarenstrollers.com

Edited to say: Not really cheap, but a great reclining umbrella stroller.

nofeea
04-14-2003, 02:05 PM
I'm trying REALLY hard to resist the urge to go for a more expensive one. My Venezia will still be my primary so the umbrella is really just for convenience to throw into the car if we decide we want to take DD for a walk when we're away from home. (I also just bought a jogger which I ended up spending more on than I initially thought I would.) It's so hard to stick with the cheap ones once you start researching all the features of the upgraded ones !!:)

blnony
04-14-2003, 03:05 PM
okay, this might be a better suggestion. Have you thought about a Inglesina Swift? Inglesina is a great company, I love their customer service. I found a link to one, not to endorse the company, just for you to look at the stroller. I have an Inglesina Zippy and I've had great luck with it. Just an idea, and its cheaper...:)It also has a four position recline which would be handy.

http://www.dmart2000.com/inswst.html

Edited to add: I just looked at the Caddy and it doesn't look like it has a basket? I don't know if this right though. But other than that, it looks pretty good. I know the Chicco 2002 gets rave reviews esp. for steering.

jenmcadams
04-14-2003, 04:27 PM
I loved the Swift, but ended up going with the Peg Perego Aria b/c my DD seems to really like to have a napper bar. I wouldn't generally call the Aria cheap, but you can find some good deals on new in box previous years models on eBay (I paid about $50 for mine). The Aria is super lightweoght, easy to steer, ok basket, etc., but I'm not sure if the handles would be too short. Also, the sun shade isn't great, but I'm just planning to get a pepeny shade for extended outings.

HTH,

Jen

parkersmama
04-14-2003, 04:36 PM
I have a Chicco London that I really like. It has 2 or 3 position (but not full) recline, a basket, and steers like a dream. I got it for less than $100 from Babies R Us. We have only played with it so far around the house with my 36 lb. 3 y.o. in it and it worked very well (although he's a little big for it). My dh is 6' and thought that the handle height was very good.

nofeea
04-14-2003, 05:59 PM
The caddy does not appear to have a basket...
However, my top priority now is really lightweight convenience (but not so cheap that it falls apart!:+ ) I just read a review on it that says how easy it is to take on the subway (folded with a shoulder strap.) That would be nice- right now DD and I are limited to walking distance shopping!
To confuse matters a bit more I saw a Delta today that partially reclines, has a canopy and a basket. BUT I don't think it's aluminum.
Choices, choices......

Tondi G
04-14-2003, 07:46 PM
I would say look at a Chicco Caddy or even a Chicco London... saw one of these IRL the other day and it looked pretty cool!!! Nice sun shade and has a basket VS. the caddy with no basket!

you could also have a look at a Chicco Ponee... they are discontinued but a lot of sites have them for less than 100 bucks! OR go for a Used Maclaren if your child is ok with the sloped seats... have you tried your daughter in a sloped seat? You might want to before you buy any of these bsides the Ponee which has a flat seat like a Peg! The other option would be a Peg Aria... you can get them on E-bay NEW for around 50 bucks!! Good Luck HTH!

~Tondi

nofeea
04-15-2003, 04:41 PM
Well, instead of narrowing it down I seem to be expanding my options!
Now I'm also considering the Mac Daytripper, the Peg Aria and the Combi Savvy Z. Any more insights? ARGHH!:7

ginalc
04-15-2003, 09:33 PM
I vote for the Mac Daytripper. I recently purchased one at BRU and LOVE it! I currently own 5 strollers. Of these, I love my MBUD and the Daytripper the most.

The Daytripper folds as small as they come, is light, and fits just about anywhere. It's incredibly easy to push with my 36 lb. 2.5 yr old in it, too. I can push this stroller with one hand while carrying loads of bags and my 4 mo. old.

This would be a nice complement to your Peg. I know that I've also seen the Daytripper on sale for less than what I paid 6 weeks ago. I am certain that you would not be disappointed with a decent second stroller.

One word for the Daytripper? Awesome!!!

gina, mom to 3

nofeea
04-20-2003, 10:55 PM
The last salesman I spoke to was steering me away from the Daytripper (claimed that Macs aren't as good anymore now that they are made in China)and towards Combi. The old Savvy Z's do seem to be the lightest but I'm a little concerned that they're too flimsy and hard to steer. Then again, this is not my main stroller... Then again, do I want something that will be difficult to push? Then again....

momathome
04-21-2003, 08:02 AM
Combis are made in China, too, I believe. Macs are a thousand times better quality-wise. Truthfully, I have owned both an English-made Mac Mistral and a China-made Mac Vogue and I did not notice any difference in quality between the two. Macs really are fantastic strollers - I absolutely love mine! I know you are saying it will just be an occasional-use stroller but I have found over the years that if you don't go with the better quality stroller from the get-go, you end up wishing you had something better. Good luck!
-Lauren

pamela mom of 3
04-21-2003, 11:18 AM
I agree i too have UK and non-uk made macs and they are fine....great to steer and the seats are a good size. I had a combi savvy z years ago i liked it but it is much smaller seat wise than my macs, plus really the macs do steer better..and i love the storm/rain covers!

:)

1st timeparents
04-21-2003, 01:39 PM
I just received the hunter green chicco at our shower. Yes, it has no basket...but I plan to just pick up one of the netted ones you can attach to the handles. It it so light - yet it feels nice & sturdy! Easy to fold. My husband & I love the way it seems to handle too. I know the baby isn't in there yet...but so far it looks great. The over the shoulder strap is really handy as well. There is also a canopy & rain cover---and the price was right.

We are also getting the Venezia---we loved it at the store. Glad to hear you really like it.

We have about 8 & 1/2 weeks to go :)

Karen

1st timeparents

nofeea
04-21-2003, 11:04 PM
Thanks for all the feedback. Just when I thought I had it narrowed down...
What about the issue of the larger canopy and the front bar (On the Savvy Z 2002)? Does the better steering on the Mac outweigh those features?
WHY can't I make a decision:7 ?

mom on the go
04-22-2003, 11:44 AM
I have had both Maclaren & Combi and found the Combi to be much higher in quality. My Mac had a leg snap into two pieces right by the wheel! The Combi just keeps going and going.

Just my 2 cents.

Mom on the go!

mamaharsh
04-22-2003, 11:55 AM
I agree with the recommendations to go for the Maclaren (I love my Techno so much I have two LOL), but if I had to have a cheaper stroller, I'd go for the Caddy. I had one for a while (got rid of it 'cause it just didn't compare to the techno), and it seemed pretty sturdy and decent quality for the price. It was also even a bit taller than the Maclaren.

As for Combis, I know nothing about the quality, but my DH is 6 foot and had to hunch to push it and kept kicking the back of it.

Sara, mama to Nathaniel, 10/01

Connie1222
05-03-2003, 08:32 PM
We live in NYC too, and the Caddy is our travel stroller for the bus/subway & car errands. It's sturdier than the cheapie umbrellas, it reclines (DS has taken a few naps in it), has a canopy & rain cover and the strap is very convenient! I bought a mesh stroller bag and it's been great for shopping too. I bought it for $40 shipped from the Stroller Swap board (brand new condition) but they only sell for $49.