PDA

View Full Version : Advice on Prams: Why Should I Buy One?

bathbody
04-14-2003, 04:23 PM
I'm completely overwhelmed by strollers, even with my Baby Bargains book. I don't live in a metro area to be able to test drive the great ones. I've pushed around a Bertini pram and am in love with the suspension and and swivel front wheels. But it's pretty heavy.

Anyhoo, I'm uneducated in the actual purpose of a pram, besides the fact that they look great and this particular one was a dream steer.
Why would I perhaps register/purchase a pram versus a lightweight like the fun Zooper Sport?

jfolker
04-14-2003, 06:33 PM
You may or may not need a pram, depending upon what you want to use the stroller/pram for.

We have the Bertini Sport (which I think is the one that you test drove), and we get a good amount of use out of it. We like the big basket for certain things like trips grocery shopping (because it even holds heavy stuff like milk and cans of soda), and we've been glad that it has the bouncy suspension because it helps to rock our 3 month old to sleep sometimes (both inside the house and outside). The adjustable incline is also nice, although our son isn't really into the nearly flat position. The big air tires are also good because they handle the bumps really well, and where we live (in a converted warehouse district in Chicago), the sidewalks can be pretty bad.

On the down side, the Bertini (and all traditional prams that I can think of) are pretty big and heavy, so it's not too easy to get them into the trunk of a car. We had to buy a smaller, lighter stroller for trips in the car. Also, its a little tough to drive it around stores with cramped aisles and in restaurants, but it can be done.

There are some hybrid types where you can change between the stroller seat and a bassinet, such as the Inglesina Zippy, the Mountain Buggy strollers, and the Bugaboo Frog. I think that these are all lighter than traditional prams.

Hope that helps,

Jim
(Dad to Nathan 12/20/02)

smilequeen
04-14-2003, 08:58 PM
I'm planning to buy one simply b/c I love them so much. I like the suspension and comfort for "rocking" the baby, the look, and the ability to handle some terrain. I plan to use it for walks around the neighborhood and longer trips. I think babies look so comfy in them, and that toddlers are quite cozy in them too.

But, it won't be the only stroller. I don't think it could be. I plan to buy something else more suitable for the mall and travel, and possibly an all-terrain depending on my needs.

strollerqueen
04-14-2003, 10:37 PM
I am still in love with my Silver Cross, and always will be. Why should I buy a pram? is like asking--"Why should I buy a Ferrari, or Lamborghini?" Because they are just a dream to push! Same reason people shell out the big bucks for Teutonias and Bugaboo Frog. SO fun to drive, and top quality. Great amenities, too. My SC has three boots, two different sun canopies, rain/wind cover, bug cover, infant insert, HUGE wire basket, (My pre-schooler can actually sit comfortably in it, because the seat sits so high up), chrome fenders, and that WONDERFUL bouncy suspension! It allows you to glide over almost every surface. On my SC the napper bar slides all the way out, meaning my now two year old can climb in and out easily. I also have a Kiddy board attached for my almost 5 year old. It is the favorite stroller of both kids. ANd did I mention how GORGEOUS it is? LOL!