PDA

View Full Version : Kiwi vs. MBU

Calmegja
04-15-2003, 10:00 AM
Long story short, I need another all terrain stroller. I bought a Liberty, but returned it because of a tipping problem.

I have a Buddy, but I am thinking I'm probably going to sell it shortly, but in the meantime, I do need another all terrain stroller single. I have the MBUD, and love it, and I definitely want the swivel wheel capability.

Has anyone had their hands on a Kiwi and MBU? Are they comparable in fold? I want irt to be more compact than the Buddy, and I want it to be portable. I like both strollers, my only question is in reality, how do they fold? I have the MBUD, so I figure the folded size is about half that for the single, but I'm clueless on the Kiwi....

Anyone know?

nohomama
04-15-2003, 11:39 AM
I can't give you any insight into what the fold of the Kiwi is like or its dimensions when folded, but I can tell you that a new model is due out sometime in May and that one of the improvements is the way it folds.

For more information on both the current and yet to be released models try posting a question for "kiwidad" (a,k.a. Rodney) on the Parents Place stroller board or contacting him directly through his ebay store. He's been extremely helpful to me in describing all of the features of the stroller and passing along information on the improvements of the upcoming model.

Sorry I can't be of more help,

pamela mom of 3
04-15-2003, 11:50 AM
Yeah i do....um well i like my urban better. The fold is more fiddly on the kiwi explorer, plus the basket holds less weight..it doesn't recline as much..and the hood is more open. Brakes are not harder to apply but i couldn't really manage it in bare feet KWIM?{yes with my urban i can}

I do like the bag and the soft grip handle and the backrest is taller than my urban single but honestly if it were not for it's 'double' ability i would not own one.

The kiwi expresso is more urban like..bigger basket, closed in hood..more recline etc. The explorer is very much set up for use as a double, i mean yes it does work as a single but well you lose out on things to be able to ever use it as a double...kinda hard to explain but as a single the urban is just more 'easy, simple'

So just my opinion but i would say either the urban single or the expresso by kiwi. The explorer is really more for those who need double ability..not who own a double and want a single IMO.

HTH :)

strollerqueen
04-15-2003, 01:40 PM
I have mentioned this problem before, too, but I guess it got lost in the shuffle. My DS is used to climbing up on all my strollers; they don't tip. But surprise! Every time in the store he tried to climb in the Liberty, it tipped! He went right over sideways with it onto the ground, but was more shocked than hurt.

If you want to use the Kiwi as a double, it will also tip if the older child climbs out first. The weight of the younger child pulls it backwards. I have never seen a Kiwi Espresso, just have to go by what Pam says there.

I agree that the MB Urban won't tip. The company is HUGE on safety issues. Another A/T that I personally love is the Emmaljunga. There are still a couple of EC1's left at Heritage Baby. If you can find a Husky, it is similar, but with smaller wheels. The big advantage of that model is that it takes a toddler seat. It also folds more compactly, surprisingly flat. It would be pretty impossibe to tip either of those.

Calmegja
04-15-2003, 03:07 PM
Thanks...I'll look at the Expresso and the MBU, then. I'll probably just get the MBU...I'm not quite so patient as to wait for the new Kiwi to come out, knowing me! I don't need the doubles capacity, so the difference is good to know. I still can't believe the LIberty tipped, but when I looked harder at the reviews afterwards, I found several instances where it was tippy.....Oh well.....

I love Emmas, but I want swivel capacity. My friend has a Husky, and I love it, but I don't want to have to pop the wheel all the time.....

Thanks for the insight, guys!