PDA

View Full Version : Stroller Suggestion for TALL Parents?

gemanda
04-16-2003, 04:47 PM
..and when I say TALL, I mean TALL. My husband's is 6'9, and I'm 6'3. We both have extremely long strides to boot.

Our first is due towards the end of the year, but we're trying to get a jump on things due to a cross-country move coming up this summer. We're going nuts trying to find a stroller that we're not constantly kicking. And I refuse to put those extender handle things on a stroller...I'm not spending top dollar to add something that looks ridiculous.

We've spent a bunch of time at BRU and the only thing we've found that we like and don't hunch over or kick is the Expedition LX Travel System. My concern is the front wheel is non-swivel...making it harder to manuever at the mall and so forth...

This link is to the stroller, not the TS. http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/t...s=baby&n=542438

Size isn't an issue...we drive a full-sized SUV, so there's plenty of space. And since neither of us is tiny, weight isn't too much of an issue either.

I'm really not looking for a TS...with our heights, we seriously doubt our baby will be in an infant seat for more than a couple of months and are going to go with a convertible seat right from the start.

We just want something that we're not constantly kicking!! We've tried the Gracos and the Pilkos...no dice. The Combis didn't work. When I was a nanny, the family had a Mac Techno (probably a 2000 model), and that was ok, but I still kicked it from time to time and my husband kicked it all the time when he pushed the baby.

I've also had the KidCo LS3000 suggested to me...we're probably going to try to see that one at one of only 2 stores in LA that carry KidCo Strollers this weekend.

HELP!!!!

hardysmom
04-16-2003, 11:24 PM
The new Teutonia Toni looks pretty kick-proof. It is new so the jury is still out on it, but it might work for you.

I am not sure if it can be used for the first couple of months, but many find they carry/sling/bjorn the baby most of the time in the beginning...

Stephanie

Jen841
04-17-2003, 09:28 AM
For my 6'4" husband we decided on the Inglesina Zippy. We considered the Pliko, but the rep talked me out of it. My 6'6" friend has the Graco Quatro. I can not push a Combi without a problem and I am 5'6".

We did not like the MacClarens (sp), so our choices were very limited.

Good luck!

emilyf
04-17-2003, 09:41 AM
Just a word in defense of the handle extenders, I really fell in love with the zooper z-street which is not great at all for tall people, I'm 5'8", and it's ok for me but a pain for dh (6'1"). Anyway, I was researching to find a better stroller for him because I thought the extenders look so cheesy, but I went ahead and bought some and they have been great. They definitely cut down on the coolness factor a bit, but I can walk with a longer, faster stride and dh now loves the stroller. They are pretty comfortable too. So, if you find a stroller you love I wouldn't totally rule those out. I think mountain buggys make an extender to fit their stroller, probably not so goofy looking.
Emily
mom of Charlie born 11/02

gemanda
04-17-2003, 10:24 AM
Thanks ladies!

We looked at the Teutonia Toni last night and like the looks of it...now it's just a matter of trying to find somewhere in LA that has it IRL. DH is very big about seeing them IRL before purchase, even if we buy it online.

I haven't looked at the Inglesias or MBUs...I'll try those next!

Any other idea, please throw them our way...

khakismom
04-17-2003, 11:26 AM
Just some ideas of what we use and works for us (I am 5'11 and DH is 6'3). We used a Peg Venezia for when DD was an infant. It has an adjustable and reversible handlebar and we never found ourselves kicking it. We made it into a travel system and used a car seat rated to 22 inches length, which we needed because DD was tall (and still is). We debated skipping the infant seat too but am glad we didn't. We got 6 months of use out of it, it fit our daughter better when she was an infant (the conv. seat seemed huge on her), and the infant seat was easy to lug around--rather than always having to unstrap her from a convertible seat and carry her. Imagine eating out with a 3 month old--where do you put the baby if you don't have an infant seat?

We now use a Mac 2001 Vogue and 2002 Daytripper and they work great for us. HTH a little :P --good luck and have fun stroller shopping!

...Maureen

Mom to
Kathleen 3/22/01
Ellen EDD 6/12/03

gemanda
04-17-2003, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the suggestion, Maureen! We looked at the Venezia's, Vogue's, and Daytripper's too...DH was kicking those...

The problem is our child will likely be 22 inches at birth. Unless by some fluke we end up with a tiny baby...DH was 23 inches at birth, I was 21.5. So far, this baby is measuring ahead of schedule, making the doctor think that this is going to be another LONG baby...he said he wouldn't be surprised if this one is 23 inches like his/her Daddy. So we may get a month or two out of an infant seat, if that. We just can't justify the expensive of two car seats in the first 3 months!

Definitely not as convenient as an infant seat...having been a nanny, I can speak from experience as to how wonderful infant seats can be. But we have to be realistic about our baby!

Tondi G
04-17-2003, 12:42 PM
as far as the infant seat goes ....I would suggest buying the Evenflo with the Higher weight and height limits... if you go with an infant seats at all.... if it were me I would just for the first few months, but that is me!!!!!

As far a strollers go... have you considered the Mountain Buggy Urban? It might just do the trick for you... most jogger types have much better clearance as far as kicking the back goes! It is much like a jogger but has a front wheel that swivels and it is more compact than a regular jogger so will do much better inside for you!!! The other option would be maybe an Instep Safari...same idea as the MB but it is cheaper... not as well made but might be fine for you... only thing is I am not sure of the seat recline which is important when using it for a new born! I would definetly suggest looking at the Mountain Buggy Urban... with a stroller fleece insert your infant would be fine and it's a GREAT stroller!!!!!! Since you probably aren't getting an infant seat you can use some of the money towards a great stroller! Go to www.mountainbuggyusa.com ... also they offer an accessory that is a handlebar extension even better for vertically blessed parents!!!! check it out... you won't be disappointed... there are LOTS of MB owners here on the boards that LOVE thier Urbans!!!!

Congrats and Good Luck!
~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01!

khakismom
04-17-2003, 12:59 PM
Oops, I meant that our car seat was rated to 22 pounds (instead of 20) and 24 inches (not 22). Sorry! Of course, if your baby will be 23 inches a birth, then no matter what the rating is, it probably won't help you! :o Good luck!!!

Edited to say: I don't know what is off with me--maybe pregnancy brain. Our car seat--a Century Smart Fit 22--is rated to 29 inches, not 24, and 22 pounds (I think most car seats go to 27 inches in length). I apologize for not remembering correctly--it's been too long. And DD was 21 inches at birth and used it for about 6 months. HTH!

...Maureen

Mom to
Kathleen 3/22/01
Ellen EDD 6/12/03

gemanda
04-17-2003, 01:03 PM
Thanks Tondi! I definitely like the look of the MBU...there's a store fairly near here that carries them...have to take DH over and show them to him and see if I can convince him about the price tag! I've seen the Safari's, but haven't walked with one...

You're right, Maureen, not much we can do! We're waiting for the next u/s, thinking that MAYBE the baby will be slowing down in his/her growing, but that's doubtful!

hardysmom
04-17-2003, 01:37 PM
The MB might be great. BRUs in California are starting to get Toni's in since Britax is distributing Teutonia. On the Britax site (www.britaxusa.com) you can see dealers. I know they are out there as there have been severa IRL reviews from the West Coast.

I have an Inglesina Zippy. I would skip looking at it if you are tall. Tall & long-strided parents don't like it very much. Many people (even average height) kick the ocversized wheels. It is a great stroller, UNLESS you are tall..

Stephanie

Momof3Labs
04-17-2003, 08:01 PM
A suggestion on the infant seat... Colin is VERY tall (22" at birth, 28.25" at 6 months) and we bought a Fisher Price Stay-in-View infant seat for him. It goes to 29" instead of the usual 26". It is discontinued, but can still be found new-in-box on eBay for a reasonable price. It is the rare baby that wouldn't fit in this seat for at least 4-5 months (we moved Colin out at 4 months or so because he was getting fussy in it, even though he was below the height limit).

stillplayswithbarbies
04-17-2003, 11:20 PM
I am 6'0" and my husband is 6'1". We have a Bertini Sport and have no problem with it. It has an adjustable handle.

http://www.bertinistrollers.com/bertinisport.htm

...Karen
Jake age 12
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

smomom
04-18-2003, 08:28 AM
I have a Zooper Sport and would love to add some extra height to the handles.

where did you get your handle extenders? I have seen some handle extenders at One Step Ahead, but wasn't sure how they would work. Any details on yours would be great.

thanks!

emilyf
04-18-2003, 08:52 AM
I got mine at the Right Start, but the z-street has umbrella handles, and I think the Sport has a bar-I think they make extenders for bars too though. Anyway, ours was a cinch, they hooked right on. In a way, I actually like having two-when I'm in line or something I use the regular handles and the stroller is closer to me and we take up less space, when I'm walking fast I love the extra height of the extender.
Emily
mom of Charlie born 11/02

Tondi G
04-19-2003, 06:14 PM
One thing to keep in mind with the infant seat too is that your child could be long but it could be all in their legs... even if they measure 29 inches some children still fit! As long as their is one inch of car seat shell above thier heads they can still use the infant seat!!!! Just a thought!

I would suggest looking at either the Evenflo or finding a Fisher Price Stay In View on E-bay. Honestly it doesn't seem like much but for the first few months when baby sleeps so much it really is convenient to ahve the infant carrier/car seat!!!! some restraunts don't have room for your stroller next to your table.... so having the infant seat solves that problem and you don't have to hold the baby or lay them on the booth etc... It really was a life saver for us many times!!!!!

as far as Ultrasounds go... don't put TOO much faith in them! I was told my son would be 7.5 pounds and he was closer to 6.5! I have a friend who was told her baby could reach 10 lbs by the time she was born and the baby was just over 7lbs..... it really is a guesstimate!!!! You are tall but that doesn't mean you couldn't get some good use out of an infant seat and make your lives a little easier with a newborn!!!!!

GOOD LUCK!!!!

~Tondi

C99
04-19-2003, 07:18 PM
I know that you said that you didn't like the Mac Techno, but my husband is 6'7" (I'm only 5'9" ) and he chose the Mac Global.

stillplayswithbarbies
04-20-2003, 05:45 PM
That happened to me too. The ultrasound was saying baby would be over 10 lbs and she was only 8lb 6 oz.

The larger mom is, the more inaccurate the ultrasound measurements are. In fact, the technician told me they don't like to do measurements if mom weighs over 180 lbs because it won't be accurate.

...Karen
Jake age 12
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

Sarah1
04-24-2003, 07:27 AM
We have the Maclaren Global Buggy, and it is really comfortable (although I'm o nly 5'9" and husband 6'3"). My husband loves it!

The other thing is, you were saying your baby will probably grow out of the infant car seat quickly--I'm sure you're right--I don't know if you've bought an infant car seat yet, but if you haven't, I would advise AGAINST the Graco Snug Ride. Although I absolutely love this seat and think it's great, the max length is 26" and my daughter was squirming in it uncomfortably at 3 1/2 mos! So maybe there is a bigger infant car seat out there that could buy you another month. It would be SO worth it!!!!!!

Sarah1
04-24-2003, 07:30 AM
One more thing--I just saw where you said you were going w/a convertible seat right from the start--this is smart, but at the same time, if you can get a good deal on an infant seat you might consider it...as I'm sure other new moms will tell you, the infant seat is GREAT because you don't have to wake the kid up when you're moving him from car to stroller, stroller to house, etc...even if you can only use the seat for 2 mos, it is SO great to have. We switched to a convertible seat when our daughter was around 4 mos, and I really missed the portability of an infant seat! Also, it supports their head really well which a convertible seat doesnt' do so much. So, if you can borrow one or get one cheaply, consider it!