PDA

View Full Version : Kiwi double vs. MBUD vs. Safetech double????

nohomama
04-16-2003, 08:53 PM
I was hoping to pick the brains of all the stroller mavens over at the Parents Place board but I've been trying to post this all afternoon without success (the new format over there is really pissing me off at the moment!!!). So, I'm posting on Baby Bargains (because I can!!!) for input from the stroller mavens here...

I've literally been thinking about this for weeks and I'm beginning to go cross-eyed from the strain. Here's my situation... My daughter is 18 months old and our family is part of a childcare co-operative. 3x a week (or more) I have another toddler for a 3 hour stretch and my back and knees are aching from pushing one in the stroller while carrying to other on my back. As this crappy New England winter is fading and we're spending more time outside, this is becoming more and more of an issue. The other piece is that whatever I choose will be used for a toddler/newborn (#2???) combination someday as well.

I want an AT swivel wheel for walking in the neighborhood, a downtown business district, on a bike path, and for LIGHT (definitely don't need/want a permanent fixed wheel) trail hiking. The toughest criteria is the downtown business district. I want/need something that can easily navigate through stores with tight spaces. If it weren't for that, I'd have already bought the Safetech.

I thought I was all set to get a Kiwi and then some of you posted on the BB board that you preferred your MBUDs. I feel like I can justify the cost of the Kiwi to myself because it can be both a single and a double and therefore has a longer/more versatile lifespan. The cost of the MBUD is harder for me to stomach. The price tag and esthetics of the Safetech are both incredibly appealing to me, but at 32" I'm afraid that it wouldn't be appropriate for rambling around downtown which is what I'll be doing with the stroller 50% (or more) of the time.

What would you all choose and why? Any advise is much appreciated.

Sarah

egoldber
04-16-2003, 09:19 PM
Have you considered two strollers? As you have pointed out, finding one to do all those things is probably asking too much of one stroller. And I would weight the stroller purchase on the basis of which one you will be using the most.

If I were only going to get ONE stroller, I would get the MBUD. That way you would have a stroller that would suit all your needs.

If I were going to get two strollers, I would get the Safetech/Mothercare/Schwinn/Instep double (LOL!!!) and also a shopping double, and spend enough money to get a nice one. If your budget is $500 (cost of MBUD) and the Safetech is $150-ish, that gives you $350-ish to spend on the nice, smaller double you would use most of the time.

If I were you today, I would probably get two strollers. Actually, if I were you today, and if my back were dying, I would probably end up with THREE strollers. LOL :) I would run to Target and get a Kolcraft SBS double for $50 and start using it now!

HTH,

nohomama
04-17-2003, 06:56 AM
Bumping this up.

ginalc
04-17-2003, 08:26 AM
Check out a used Emmaljunga! I understand that the European brand pulled out of the US, but just yesterday I stopped a mom at a bus-stop to ask about her side-by-side double, an Emmaljunga!

She said that she LOVED it! It has the wheels and build for all-terrain, and very easy to push. She also said that she prefers to push her double over her single because it glides so easily! She's had it for 6 years (a purchase for her twins!) and it still looks like it has several years mileage to go!

Yesterday afternoon I went on-line and found "The Twins On Line Garage Sale Site" and saw several of these doubles used, on sale for $300 or so. I can't seem to find the link at the moment, but maybe you will have better luck.

I love my MBUD, and find it very easy to use, both in town and out. I can push it easily through McDonalds, in their small bathrooms, Subway, the mall, and it stores standing on it's side in my van. I fit $200 worth of groceries in and around my MBUD yesterday morning without a sweat. I don't need another stroller because this one does it all, but I agree, the $500 price tag was VERY hard to swallow!

Just wanted to add that today, I went out and made 5 stops in and out of the van, then stopped by the local Elementary school to run another errand, and used my MBUD at each and every stop. In and out of the vehicle with 2 little ones. I'll say it again, this stroller is easier to get in and out of the vehicle than my 3 children! I can go over curbs with ease, in and out of bathrooms, even small spaces, easily. The MBUD will provide you with decent transportation for many months, if not years. They should call it "the stroller that pushes itself!"

HTH,

gina, mom to 3

erzzie
04-17-2003, 09:20 AM
Well I didn't post on the other Kiwi thread because the person posting really only wanted a single stroller. I think if you're sure you'd never use the doubles capability, many of the advantages of the Kiwi are wasted.

I just bought a Kiwi and I have some pics up if you'd like to see them:
http://pages.ivillage.com/erzzie/id6.html

For what you've described, I think the Kiwi is a great option for you. My son is almost 4, and my baby is due next month. We chose the Kiwi because I really don't know how long my son is going to be willing to ride in a stroller, BUT I do know there are times where I'll NEED to have him in a stroller. I.E. home alone with 2 kids and exercising, long trips to the zoo, possibly shopping in the mall alone, etc. I didn't want to spend the money on a double, just to turn around and need to get a single soon.

The other reason I wanted the Kiwi, is that I really didn't want the width of a double stroller if I wasn't positive I'd need a double for long. Even at MB width, it's still a double. For using it in stores, I'd definitely go with the Kiwi over the MB. I think the reason several people have MB and Kiwi is that they have found the smaller width to be nice for crowded/compact places.

One of the commonly mentioned negatives of the Kiwi seems to be the fold. As far as fiddly fold...I assume that comment was intended for older Kiwi's? I have a new one, and I can't understand why it would be considered fiddly. It takes two steps to fold. There are 2 knobs that pull out from the frame which release one of the "hinges" and then another single knob that pulls out to release the other hinge in the frame. I guess I'd say it's fiddly in the same way that a Pliko 2 step fold is different from a Zippy 1 step fold?

Let me know if you have any questions. And good luck!!

Melinda

pamela mom of 3
04-17-2003, 09:27 AM
Hi,

Ok well i do think in this situation the kiwi would work for you..since you require super compact A/T double ability.....while i still think my MBDU is better....it is still a SBS and sometimes despite how narrow they are it can still be a problem...heck some store you can't get a single through!

A couple of things you'll need to keep in mind with the kiwi are....storage when you use it as a double the basket is pretty much gone so i would suggest the pannier bags...BUT this will make the stroller a bit wider....something you'd have to play with a bit.

Next no sun protection for the rear rider and i am not over the moon on the front seat hood either{kinda open in the back} so you will need something if your going to be walking outdoors....you could look at their sun cover or maybe a sun umbrella for the back?...

I gather you won't be folding this thing alot? don't get me wrong i can fold mine but i would rather not LOL....it's just way more fiddly than my MBDU...again workable just more effort involved.

One last thing somebody must be in front for a child to be in back so if the older child is in/out this may become an issue for you.....

Anyhow i do think it could work for you....now the other idea of the safetech and some other more compact dble works too....

HTH :)

Calmegja
04-17-2003, 05:40 PM
Pamela...did you sneak a Kiwi into your collection? ;-)

Oh, and thanks for the advice the other day regarding the Kiwi vs. the MB single, I ordered another MB today, so now I'll have the single and the double....

But no Terrain, so you've got me there! LOL!

pamela mom of 3
04-18-2003, 03:54 PM
LOL yeah one just popped on by LOL...

Still a huge MB fan though!.... :P

Congrats on that MB single! :+

pamela mom of 3
04-18-2003, 04:02 PM
Nope i mean fiddly for the knob style fold......mine is the same as yours ;)

I mean it IS doable but does require more fiddly steps..i'm sorry i cannot find another word for it..i can fold my urban and terrain much faster and easier than the kiwi...and it doesn't have to do with getting used to it, honestly it's a design difference between the models.

The kiwi touches the ground more than the MB's do...

I guess the best way i can put it is the older pliko was simple for me to fold, the P3 is even easier...faster, less fussy....yet the other was still workable just more involved.

Kiwi is prefectly workable...but stil just not IME as simple and fuss-muss free as the MB...LOL :+

Both have their good and bad points...neither is perfect and alot depends on where you go & what ages/sizes your kids are! :)

Calmegja
04-18-2003, 04:47 PM
Thanks!

"one just popped on by"....

Don't you hate it when that happens? :7

I think several of the strollers in my garage came to me the same way.....LOL!