PDA

View Full Version : Travel system vs. seperates

heatherly2475
04-17-2003, 10:20 AM
I thought I wanted to purchase a Graco travel system that included the Snugride infant car seat. Now I'm not so sure. I really like the Snugride and am almost definately sold on it; friends like it and we find it easy to use. However, friends say the Graco strollers are too bulky and heavy. They also warn me that the child will quickly outgrow the infant car seat and then I'll be left with a dud of a stroller if I do get the travel system. I like the convenience of just sitting the car seat into the stroller without disturbing the baby. But I also want a quality lightweight stroller that's not to large when folded (I have a small trunk). I am wondering if it would not be better initially to purchase the infant car seat seperately and use a universal cart type carrier for the stroller until my child is old enough to go into a better lightweight stroller. Please advise me on what to consider; it's my first baby and I'm so overwhemled! Thanks.

jenmcadams
04-17-2003, 12:09 PM
I would definitely go with a snugride and a Kolcraft or a Snap'nGo (I liked the Kolcraft better). Our daughter did grow out of her infant seat early (4 months), but I was so glad to have her in it as long as we could. We used our Kolcraft carrier everywhere at the beginning. It was great to travel with, etc. It's pretty inexpensive and if you have more than one child, you'll be able to use the infant seat and the Kolcraft next time. By waiting to get your stroller, you'll be able to get the latest and greatest and also be able to test-drive strollers with your baby.

HTH

hardysmom
04-17-2003, 01:43 PM
The Universal carriers are the way to go. You have so many more stroller options after the baby is about 3 months!

Also, many "high-end" strollers (Mountain Buggy, Inglesina Zippy, Peg) can take a Graco carseats with or without an adaptor. You don't have to purchase the "system." The fabrics may not match, but that is it.

Stephanie

schums
04-17-2003, 02:15 PM
Don't discount the Combi Perfect Match strollers. They can take a Graco car seat, but also work fine for infants (the seat reclines flat) and older kids. This is my primary stroller and I have a 12 month old.

The only down side the the snap-n-go type strollers is if you get a baby that doesn't want to be in the car seat every time you go some place. My DS didn't mind the car seat in the car, but would get quite fussy (almost from birth) if he was in it for an extended time (more than about 15-30 min) outside the car.

Just my two cents.

Sarah

heatherly2475
04-18-2003, 08:08 AM
Wow, I checked out the Perfect Match on a few websites and it sounds like I may have found the answer! It received great reviews on the BRU website. Thanks a lot for the advice. I can't wait to check out this one in the store!

Ti Lung
04-18-2003, 01:39 PM
I have the Snugride with a Combi Ultra Savvy. Combi has a matching pad/cover for your Snugride so don't worry if the patterns do not match. It's a great system because baby can recline fully, and face you as you stroll. Plus, when a baby is so young you can lift her/him out of a stroller via the car seat, which is nice, particularly as you are getting into and out of vehicles. I got my Combi Ultra Savvy for $100 as a gift from Buy Buy Baby. It is a 2002 model however. But then, who cares?! I read in a post in this forum that Zany Brainy has a clearance sale where some Ultra Savvys are going for $54!! Good luck!