PDA

View Full Version : Help with stroller purchase

lolov
04-18-2003, 05:37 PM
Hi,

Can someone PLEASE help this preggo-brained, sleep deprived, can't think herself out of a paper bag momma figure out what I need??

I have a DS who turns 3 on Sunday and another DS due any day now (please, PLEASE NOT SUNDAY! LOL).

Currently, I have a 2000 snap n go, a 2000 Chicco LX, and a 2002 Chicco Ponee. I also have a backpack and a baby bjorn. The Ponee is brand new... the Chicco LX, well, it's seen better days... many airline trips have abused the poor thing to where I have to do some "adjusting" whenever I fold/unfold the poor thing! It has been my workhorse stroller (just fyi... I also had a maclaren vogue which I just sold. I liked the stroller, just couldn't stand the basket situation and figured I'd need something different for a second baby).

DS #1 will be starting pre-school in the fall... probably 3 days a week.

I am wondering if I need to get a double all terrain stroller (not a top of the line one, just a reliable one - like the safetech double that's on ebay right now for 168) for things like the zoo, disney, walkign around on uneven pavement, etc.

I am thinking that for regular day to day stuff, mall trips, etc. that I can get away with the Ponee, perhaps buying the sit and stand platform made by Litaf industries (like a buggy board, but with a seat AND a standing platform) for my 3 yo when the baby isn't in the Bjorn... the Litaf thing can attach to both the snap n go and the ponee (from what I've read... haven't tested that out, tho).

My dilemma is this... do I NEED a double? I like the safetech because it gets decent reviews from people who seem to use it as I would and it's inexpensive. Do I need to give in and replace the Chicco 2000 LX with another single or will the Ponee do? How long will it be before my DS#1 is "too big" to ride in a stroller or on the sit and stand thing? (he's not a "big" boy... just average... 37" tall and 33 lbs at 3yo).

I'm afraid to HAVE to take two kids to the zoo with one in a stroller and one in a backpack or Bjorn (my aching back!) kwim?

ANy and ALL advice would be greatly appreciated!!! I'm just going bonkers trying to figure out what I need vs. what I want (I am a stroller "ho" at heart!)...

Thanks in advance!

Lo

Tondi G
04-18-2003, 06:07 PM
I would get the safetech!!! It will be fine for what you need it for, no real need to spend all the money on a Mountain Buggy if you feel the Safetech will suit you! If you are going to be going on all day outings then you will most likely want something where your older child can sit and rest etc.... that or you will find yourself renting doubles if they offer them, the LA Zoo offers doubles but they are not suitable for infants... really only toddlers!

As far as the Ponee goes.... what kind of recline does it offer? If it doesn't recline much then you might have to start out with your 2000 LX and then move to the Ponee when #2 has better head control... haev you tried placing your infant seta in the Ponee.... maybe that would work for you! If not, will your 2000 make it through the first couple of months? If not maybe look for a gently used Pliko in E-bay... your baby can ride comfortably and you could use an infant seat... your toddler can ride on the little todder step on back! At this point.. does your 3 year old want to ride all the time still or does he walk most of the time... some do fine walking others see the new baby riding in the stroller and absolutely HAVE to ride!!!! I suppose it would be hard to know till the baby arrives... maybe you should just get the safetech to know you have a double and won't have to worry about it anymore!!!!!!

I have probably confused you more.... hope others have more opinions for you! Good Luck and congrats on #2!!!!

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01!