PDA

View Full Version : For those of you who have unadjustable slings...

Kate888
04-22-2003, 09:24 AM
Do you find it difficult to put baby in? I just ordered one, but can't seem to put Maya in it. It's not too small, because once I struggle to put her in, there is enough space between us. She gets mad during the process and won't stay in it for more than a few minutes. This is a non-padded sling, and the fabric has no stretch to it (it's like a piece of fabric sewn together at the end). Maya is 14 month and I have to lift her half over my shoulder to put her in. Will it be easier if it's a fleece sling? I really hope this can work...

Any input is greatly appreciated!

Kate
Mama to Maya 2-17-02

Momof3Labs
04-22-2003, 09:39 AM
I have a fleece sling from Mom & Me Creations, and also have to lift Colin half over my shoulder to get him in. I've used it in the hip carry position, and he absolutely loves it. There is very little give to the sling, and it is snug when it is on, but it wouldn't be right if it were loose - Colin would be flopping around.

Hope this helps!

ginalc
04-22-2003, 09:40 AM
Some children do better than others in slings. Tanya at KangarooKorner has a terrific trouble guide that you may find helpful: http://www.kangarookorner.com/page61.html

Basically, I find that older children do better when you're going somewhere. Just "hanging off Mom" isn't always enough. :-) You can try bouncing and singing, talking, dancing, just acting plain silly with it on to see if that helps. Sometimes it's not being held that they're after, they just want our undivided attention - ALL THE TIME!

The Fleece pouch will provide more stretch and is adjustable, but if your little one doesn't like the feel of the sling, no sense in wasting more money on something you won't use. I own padded and unpadded slings, a mexican rebozo, the fleece pouch and a baby trekker. I use all of them at different times and can't say that one is more useful than the others. My children seem to do best when they're very tired and want to cuddle.

HTH,

gina, mom to 3

Kate888
04-22-2003, 09:58 AM
Thanks Lori and Gina!! Maya sits in the Hip Hammock nicely, so I was thinking maybe the plain fabric isn't as comfy as the fleece lined HH. I can exchange the fabric sling for a fleece one (unadjustable too) from the place I ordered, just need to pay a little extra and the shipping. But I want to make sure it'll work before I spend even more $$ on this. I don't know. This is a hard decision...

Kate
Mama to Maya 2-17-02

ginalc
04-22-2003, 10:05 AM
In my experience, if I don't love it at first, the affection doesn't grow over time. I usually hesitate because I think about how much it's going to cost, then when I finally DO bite the bullet and decide, I'm better off.

HTH,

gina, mom to 3

egoldber
04-22-2003, 11:32 AM
This is how I get Sarah into our sling. Once she's in it, she like it, but she does sometimes complain about the process. ;)