PDA

View Full Version : Stroller suggestions for Grandma's house?

teddy
04-24-2003, 12:23 PM
Hi, can anyone suggest a stroller suitable for occassional (e.g. 10 times a month) use on suburban paved sidewalks and mall walking? Also, I'd like it to last for a while as DD grows (she's 5 months now). Ideally, I don't want to pay more than $100 but will consider more if the quality is there. I was thinking about a Peg Pliko or Aria - but am open to other suggestions. I currently use a Zooper ZStreet for everyday use (lots of Chicago city walking).

This stroller would be at my mom's house so that I don't have to lug mine around. Thanks!!

strollerqueen
04-24-2003, 12:51 PM
Lol! 10 times a month seems like a lot to me. Most of my strollers are lucky to see the light of day once every few weeks! I am not sure the Aria will stand up to that much use,and the wheels are pretty small for outdoors. Also, the canopy doesn't provide much sun protection. The Pliko sounds good, also a Chicco 2002, which is similar, but with easier steering. A lot of people really like the Jeep Liberty, too. Easy to steer, easy to fold, huge basket, cupholders, toy steering wheel, etc. Folds pretty big, though.

Is storage a premium for her? Will she be using it in summer, winter, both? Can she manage a fiddly fold? There are some really good deals for top quality, barely used strollers on "Strollerswap." We set it up so that people could sell/trade strollers as their needs/tastes/child's ages changed.

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/StrollerSWAP/

ginalc
04-24-2003, 12:56 PM
You might want to look at the front-swivel wheel jogger made by Instep. Here's a link:

http://www.joggingstroller.com/brand/instep/safari.shtml

You can pick one of these up at Target for under $100 with a fixed front wheel, but they just aren't as easy to steer. You'll appreciate this feature when turning corners!

There's also the Jeep stroller. Be sure to test to see if it tips before buying (some complain that this can be a problem when older children climb in and out):

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.gsp?product_id=1956908&cat=5427&type=1&dept=5427&path=0:5427

teddy
04-25-2003, 09:08 AM
I'm so happy to hear from the experts on this board! Thanks for the suggestions and the link to the stroller swap board.

A roomy storage basket is nice but not necessary. Folding should be relatively easy; one handed is not necessary. Cupholders are a plus.

I guess 10 times a month doesn't seem like that much to me because I have been using my stroller practically everyday for the past 2 months it seems. Chicago was so miserable this winter that any time it hits 43 degrees or more, we're outside! Woo-hoo!

Rachels
04-25-2003, 10:54 AM
Just wanted to second the suggestion for the Safari or the Jeep. I have the Jeep Liberty and absolutely love it! It has TONS of storage space and is easy to fold. It's big, but my daughter is incredibly comfortable in it.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

teddy
04-25-2003, 12:04 PM
Do you have the tipping issue? I understand that it would tip backwards if the child is climbing in or out, but not if the child is seated? Is that correct?

Rachels
04-25-2003, 03:47 PM
I've never had it tip. I can't imagine it tipping backward, ever. It's pretty substantial. There's a woman on parentsplace & stroller swap who uses hers daily for her almost 2-year-old, and she told me she's never had a tipping problem. Maybe if the wheels were tilted annd it were on a hill... :)

I love the Jeep.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

anna lisa
04-25-2003, 08:36 PM
I was planning on going with a Graco Kite or the Chicco Ponee (on sale at BuyBuyBaby). Both are fine strollers for occasional Grandma use. Plus they are both under $50. I can't see spending any more than that for an "extra" stroller.

Check out the clearance aisle at BRU, my girlfriend got a Graco Kite there a while back for $25.

HTH,