PDA

View Full Version : Is there such a thing as a comfortable umbrella stroller?

smomom
04-24-2003, 04:39 PM
I am looking for a lightweight, umbrella-ish stroller. I want it to be as comfortable as possible and suitable for tall parents.

However, after looking at some umbrella stroller I am starting to wonder - is "comfortable umbrella stroller" an oxymoron similar to "jumbo shrimp"??? Is that really the case - or does someone know of a not-too-pricey model that may work out?

I now have a Zooper Sport that I love, but I wanted a light weight stroller that is a little more narrow and easier to lug around.

I have looked at the Mac Triumph which runs about $149. Does anyone have experience with that Mac model?

lots of questions, I know.... any information/advice is appreciated.

ginalc
04-24-2003, 05:02 PM
Use the Search feature that Baby Bargains offers and type in Maclaren. You'll find LOADS of people who love these strollers, myself included. Some are basic, like the VOLO, others have full-recline, boots, etc. Older s are made in England, newer s are made in China. No suprise, the England made s and are supposedly better.

I bought a Mac Daytripper at BRU for $129 and LOVE this stroller for quick trips! I think it's the best moving stroller! It steers easily with my 2.5 year old in it, yet my 4 mo. old sits in it comfortably too.

Maclarens are AWESOME, lightweight, don't-steal-all-your-trunkspace strollers!

HTH,

gina

Calmegja
04-24-2003, 07:17 PM
Yes...;-)

I call it the Maclaren Vogue, but you could call it Mmaclaren "fill in the blank".....(Triumph, Volo, Daytripper)

I'm tall, and I'm in love with it. I never knew there was to life than the blue freebie from BRU! ;-)

Calmegja
04-24-2003, 07:18 PM
Gina...

I owe you measurements, but my MIL owes me my Lil Tripper back! ;-)

Soon as I get it, I'll let you know!

ginalc
04-24-2003, 09:25 PM
Jessica,

I won't need the measurements after all..........

I finally received the Handlebar Extender for my MBUD and it is different than I anticipated. It turns the 29 inch bar into the size of a regular stroller. (more like the width of a regular jogger) I thought it would be the same width as the original handles........

But I like the Extended handlebar even better! The best part is that now my LE Little Tripper fits over it! Yeah!!! :)

gina

egoldber
04-24-2003, 10:04 PM
I think it depends on your baby. Some are very comfy in Macs and some are not. My DD deals with it for short trips, but MUCH prefers a larger more comfy stroller for longer excursions/mall shopping.

HTH,

Tondi G
04-24-2003, 11:25 PM
I would check E-bay for good deals on Maclarens! I suppose it depends on the age of your child as to what Mac to buy... depending on how much of a recline you need! maybe check on Stroller Swap and see if anyone wants to sell a gently used Mac! the Inglesina Swift is another option... also check e-bay for this one... I believe Baby Universe might have it as well!

Good Luck

~Tondi and Mason 7/8/01! (a Pliko family)

Rachels
04-25-2003, 10:56 AM
We have a Mac, and Abigail seems to like it just fine. One thing I did was buy the Bowron stroller fleece from www.juliesstuff.com . It adds a nice cushy layer which REALLY seems to make Abigail more comfortable, and it also helps to minimize the Mac seat slope a bit. It was worth the money. It makes a slightly comfortable stroller into a very comfortable stroller.

-Rachel
Mom to Abigail Rose
5/18/02

candybomiller
04-25-2003, 12:50 PM
We love, love, love, love, love our Mac techno. I wish I would have bought this stroller first, rather than wasting $$ on peg perego and inglesina. I highly recommend Maclarens.

I hear a lot of talk about the decline in quality since Mac moved to china. I HAVE to see one of the England-made Macs. It must be absolutely unbelivable!

Candy
Mommy to Matthew Nicholas
5/22/02

mclark3
04-28-2003, 10:00 AM
Dana,

I was wondering what you decided about the Mac Triumph... I'm interested in this stroller (at this point am debating between the Peg Aria and the Triumph) but can't find a Triumph to see IRL.

My assumption is that the Triumph folds with one hand, and folds more compactly than the Aria; these are the two features on the Aria that I'm not sold on. With the Triumph, my concerns are how easily the seat reclines with the "squeeze and release" mechanism, and how comfortable the seat is - particularly with the seat depth. Any info you - or anyone else has - I'd greatly appreciate it!

Thanks,
Maura

ginalc
04-28-2003, 10:28 AM
Hi Maura!

I hesitated on the Mac decision until they became available locally. What a mistake! I suggest ordering one on-line with free shipping. It will cost less to ship it back if you are not happy than buying the Aria and wondering..........

gina, mom to 3

smomom
04-28-2003, 11:03 PM
I am still debating on the Mac Triumph. My local Zany Brainy carries them, so I was able to wheel it around the store. It appeared to steer well with one hand (although DS was not with me) and the fold up seemed very easy. It also comes with a carrying strap which would make it easier to lug around. For a Mac the price is reasonable also.

The negatives that I saw were..... there's no peep-through in the shade cover, but I guess I am being picky. My other hesitation is that some people complain that the seat is not comfortable for extended periods. I could help alleviate that by purchasing a pad. The Triumph does have 2 recline positions - all or nothing. You simply move some sort of latch in the back and the seat fully reclines.

I am hoping to see a Inglesina Swift IRL, but am not having any luck. I am so indecisive on baby products, it's doubtful that I will make a decision soon. It took me 5 months to decide on my Zooper.

Oh to be more decisive.....

strollerqueen
04-29-2003, 02:29 AM
Have you considered the Zooper EZ? They are much plusher than Macs, w/ longer, firmer legrests. My DS seems to prefer it! They have a nice net cel phone holder, a deep zippered pocket in the canopy, padded harness, and normal rear brakes. They don't steer quite as well one-handed, but they are a lot less tippy. Since you are so pleased with your Sport, you would probably be very happy with this.

smomom
04-29-2003, 08:08 AM
I have thought of the Zooper EZ, but I wasn't sure if the handle height of 39" would be tall enough. One of my few complaints about the Sport is that I would love for it to be adjustable.

I know..... I want way too much out of a silly umbrella stroller - and I could always add the height adjuster.

Have you ever seen the Inglesina Swift IRL? I think my top 3 choices would be the Triumph, Swift, and EZ but I am having trouble finding a couple of them IRL.

Calmegja
04-29-2003, 10:10 AM
I think the Swift is really short handled. I can't push Ingelsinas because of their handle heights....too low for me......