PDA

View Full Version : Is there a reason to have a B.Bjorn AND a sling?

posterelle
04-24-2003, 05:43 PM
I was looking at slings/pouches (mostly for carrying baby around the house). Then I finally tried the B. bjorn, and now I'm wondering -- is there a reason to have both? Do they serve different functions? Or could I just use the B. Bjorn around the house, as well as outside?

dogmom
04-24-2003, 06:27 PM
They are definately different and I use them differently. The slings was great with my baby when he was fussy and needed comforting. Many people use them for colicky babies, although some people don't like them. It "scrunches" up the baby. My son is sleeping on my lap right now in his sling. I also use it to rock him to sleep and then gently put him down in his cradle for his nap. However, the sling can be hard on my back and he is getting bigger. I use the B.Bjorn for walks with the dogs in the woods. When he gets enough head control I will probably use it more around the house with him facing out. You can't nurse in a Baby Bjorn either. I have used my sling more so far, but he is young.

Jeanne
Mom to Harvey
1/16/03

Calmegja
04-24-2003, 07:15 PM
I'm probably the wrong person to ask, as I think my carrier addiction probably needs treatment or meds..... ;-)

The BB has a shelf life. It will not last you the span of time that you will need to have baby in arms. I know the guidelines say a pretty high weight, but I think it's near impossible to carry a baby that heavy in it.

Unless you have a petite little baby, by the time your baby is about 6 months old, wearing the Bjorm can be oppressive, and really start to hurt. That's where a sling can be terrific (or a Trekker, or an Ergo, or....you get the drift)...

I definitely think there's room for more than one, weight distribution aside, functionwise, the sheer versatility of other carriers, especially slings/pouches make them worth their weight in gold....

Roleysmom
04-24-2003, 08:46 PM
I also second (or third!) the idea of having both a Bjorn and a sling. We did use the Bjorn around the house when DD was very little since we didn't get the sling until she was three months old, but once we had the sling that's what we used inside. She seemed much more snug and comfortable hanging out in the sling when doing household stuff (like typing on the computer.) I also found it was nice to have more than one option when taking her outside. It depended on the weather, how much schlepping I was doing on public transportation, etc. whether it was a Bjorn or sling trip. One way to save money on a sling/pouch is to try ebay. I got my slightly used OTSBH on ebay and am very happy with it.

Paula

nohomama
04-24-2003, 09:30 PM
Like everyone else, I think having both a front carrier and a sling is a good idea. I had a Bjorn on loan from a friend, a Kelty Kangaroo carrier (w/hip belt), a New Native sling, and a sling I made myself (Maya Wrap style). For me it was an issue of finding what carrier didn't cause neck/shoulder/back discomfort and tension. Ultimately the slings worked better for me while my partner was able to use all the carriers with relative comfort.

chrissyhowie
04-24-2003, 10:39 PM
You can use a sling right away, as soon as you come home from the hospital. The baby needs to be at least eight pounds before you use the bjorn.

I have the Theodore Bean carrier. Both DD and I hated it when she was smaller. The "infant pod" insert that you need to use until the baby is around 12 pounds made it very difficult to insert her. Now that she is bigger and can face outwards, I think I may start to use it since she doesn't seem to mind it now that the pod insert is gone.

Mainly I have been using a sling that I made. I never thought I was a sling-type of person until I actually had the baby and realized she hated the Bean carrier! Definitely worth having a sling so you can use it right away.

HTH,