PDA

View Full Version : Diaper bag necessities

spencersmommy
04-25-2003, 12:29 AM
Hello everyone! I was wondering what you all find necessary to keep in a diaper bag. I am due June 2 and starting to get my diaper bag in order, and was wondering what you find a necessity! Thanks!
Amy

ginalc
04-25-2003, 06:46 AM
My packing depends on how long we are going to be out. It I'm just running to the mall for a few hours, I pack a change of clothes, diaper wipes in a reuseable diaper-wipe container, and 4 diapers. I've been able to BF all of mine, so bottles were never a concern.

I always pack a diaper bag and leave it in my vehicle. I use the LE Do-It-All and fill it with 12 diapers, a summer outfit that's too big, a warmer outfit that's too big, a gallon-sized zip-lock bag full of wipes, extra cloth diapers, a blanket or two, socks, bibs, diaper cream, extra sippy-cups, etc. That way, I alway have something to fall back on in case I run out.

Generally I don't use my "emergency stash" very often, and the clothes in the bag in the van tend to be forgotten, so I like to choose something that's either not my favorite, a hand-me down, or something too big. I would rather put something a little too big on my little ones than be stuck carrying them around in only a diaper!

At first, babies seem to go through a ton of clothes. Lots of laundry to do! But by 5 months of age or so, we can actually get through a whole day with the same outfit!

HTH,

gina, mom to 3

Momof3Labs
04-25-2003, 07:17 AM
We usually carry an extra bottle of Infants' Tylenol, too, especially now that Colin is teething off and on. And now that he's interested in toys, we carry a couple of small toys. And extra pacifiers!

You'll probably want to tuck in a couple of spit rags and an extra receiving blanket - I also carry a second receiving blanket to use under Colin for diaper changes.

August Mom
04-25-2003, 08:00 AM
I generally pack the following:

Knit receiving blanket
Burp Cloth
4 diapers
Travel container of wipes
Emergency Outfit (the most compact & least favorite sleeper I have)
2 gallon ziploc bags (to contain dirty clothes)
4 scented diaper disposal bags
Travel container of Purell
Changing pad
Travel container of Aquaphor (for DS's eczema and/or diaper rash)
BRU Coupons (so I won't forget them)

At around 4-5 months, I also began packing a few toys.
At around 6 months, I added an assortment of teethers.
At around 7 months, I added a container of puffed rice cereal.

Also, if you are BFing, you may want to pack some bottles of water. I don't put these in my diaper bag, but I keep them in my stroller. If you have a bigger diaper bag, though, you could put a bottle of water in there to drink while BFing.

ginalc
04-25-2003, 09:11 AM
Where did you find scented diaper disposal bags?

What a great idea! I usually carry small sacks and tie the ends together. (usually the kind the paper is stored in on rainy days)

Now I need to go shopping!:)

khakismom
04-25-2003, 11:15 AM
Scented diaper disposal bags are the best! The 2 places that I know to buy them are BRU (Esp. for Baby brand) or at Wal-mart (Sassy brand). I actually use these at home too for real stinkers since I gave my very-stinky Diaper Genie the heave-ho. :) HTH!

...Maureen

Mom to
Kathleen 3/22/01
Ellen EDD 6/12/03

partyof5
04-25-2003, 10:33 PM
I always carry my pediatrician's business card and enough emergency cash to pay for our medical insurance co-pay (or any other expense) in one of the pockets of my diaper bag. You never know when you'll need to call your pediatrician or forget your wallet at home.

I also carry a spare copy of my house and car keys just in case I get locked out.

Last but not least, infant Tylenol with the correct dosage written on it since it's not always indicated on the packaging. Always be sure to ask your Pediatrician for a Tylenol sample whenever your baby gets vaccinated. These small bottles are very convenient to carry in your diaper bag or for leaving at the grandparents' house. Also a suction bulb comes handy for when baby spits up.

HTH!

chrissyhowie
04-26-2003, 08:08 AM
One great tip I read on this board (to whomever suggested it -- Thank You!!!:D ) was to put all the essentials for the diaper change itself into a cloth bag (like the kind fancy shoes or nice purses sometimes come in). I keep the changing pad, two diapers, a tube of Balmex, a ziplock bag and the wipes in it. This way I don't always have to take the whole bag with me into the bathroom to change her. While even with just one child I think this little tip was great, I can see how it's real utility will come to light when there is more than one child. This way you can leave all the toys and snacks out with DH (so he doesn't freak out!) while you run and change the baby!

HTH,

kathsmom
04-26-2003, 09:53 PM
Hi, spencersmommy!

I pack the following in my diaper bag:

1 receiving blanket
1 thermal knit blanket
2-3 burp cloths
2 bibs
1 change of clothes (an outfit that I don't care if he ever wears or not, since it will stay in the diaper bag)
2 of the gallon size ziploc bags
several scented diaper disposal bags
4 diapers
wipes container
4 pacifiers
a few toys (stuffed animals and Sassy toys)
infant tylenol (he's teething)
insulated cooler bag (for bottles - he only takes concentrate - powder upsets his tummy)
1 changing pad

I use the Baby Trend Activpak in navy, since it is large enough to hold all of the essentials, as well as the insulated cooler.

Good luck with everything! HTH!

Toni - mom to Katherine (5/19/96) and Andrew (9/23/02)

spencersmommy
04-26-2003, 11:04 PM
Thanks everyone for your advice! I love this message board and recommend this site to all my pregnant and new mom friends. You are all awesome!!! :-)
Amy
EDD 6/2