PDA

View Full Version : kaths mom or other diaper backpack gurus! :)

Daisy918
05-21-2003, 07:41 PM
I went to BRU today to check out the ActivPack. I liked it a lot, but it was pretty big. I don't know if I would like having it on my back when I'm out shopping.

I found another backpack there--and I'm kicking myself b/c I forget the name of it. It had a tag on it that said 'smart' or something like that. Anyway, I liked it a lot b/c the straps zipped together and it was stylish. It had lots of special features (insulated, zippered, toy hooks, etc), but only one big compartment. I was picturing the diapers, burp cloths, extra clothes, bibs, and toys shoved in that big area. UGH I need more organization!

How does the ActivPack work in terms of separate areas for the big stuff I mentioned? Is there another diaper bag that would be better for me?

Thanks for reading this--I appreciate it a lot! I hate to buy something I don't use.

kathsmom
05-21-2003, 10:16 PM
Daisy,

The Activpak is fairly large! I have been using it constantly, but am looking for something for those errands/quick trips. I will still use the Activpak for church, all day outings, etc.

This is how I organize mine. On the front are 2 zippered pockets. I put my check book and wallet in the top one, as well as DS's many pacifiers. In the bottom one, I keep his Tylenol, because he's teething and any other medications he may need. In the side bottle pockets, I keep my cell phone, glasses, kleenex, keys and another pacifier. In the section that zips open and has all the mesh pockets, I put the diapers in the largest mesh pocket (I have not used the dirty duds bag that is attached to the large mesh pocket yet). I put the wipes case in one mesh pocket, sassy bags and a ziploc bag in another, and in the very top pocket, I put a couple of cloths to cover him when I change him (so I don't get squirted in case he decides to pee!). In the large, main section, I put the bottle cooler bag (which is shaped like a brown paper lunch bag, only with handles), a clean outfit, a blanket, 2-3 bibs, 2-3 burp cloths, and a few toys. It can get jumbled in there with all that stuff, but I keep his outfit at the bottom of the bag. I try to put the toys and at least one bib or burp cloth near the top of the stack for easy access. I don't use the big makeup/food case or the individual insulated bottle bag that came with the backpack. It can get heavy with all that stuff in it, especially with the cooler bag in there.

I know that Beth and Tondi have the Eddie Bauer backpack and really like it a lot. Do you have an Eddie Bauer store near you? I saw it on the web, but they don't give a picture of the inside.

If you like the one that you saw, you could organize the inside with ziplock bags or some of those mesh bags that you can get to organize your stuff when you pack your luggage. I know some moms do that. We went to Disney World last May when I was 5 months pregnant and we used one of DD's backpacks to put our stuff in. I brought a box of ziplock bags and separated out stuff - sunscreens in one, comb and scrunchies in another, extra film, etc.

I have to agree with one of the other posters on your other thread that the Avent backpack was not a good choice, at least for me. It has been a good choice for other mommies on the board.

Have you checked out the Healthy Back Bag? I know Rachels has it and she said it was very well organized (she got hers at a luggage store). I believe she got a small one, but they do make a Healthy Back Diaper Bag. Go to www.sierratradingpost.com to see what they look like (you can get them cheaper here because some are seconds, but you can also check out www.ameribag.com as well) and what the dimensions are. I am considering getting a small Healthy Back bag as my small errands bag. I think Rachels had the Activpak too and downsized to the Healthy Bag.

Are you looking for something for all day outings or a smaller one for everyday use for errands, short trips, etc.? Would you consider something like the Combi Urban Sling? I know that has been popular with a lot of moms and dads here.

If I didn't have to premake all of DS's bottles (he's on concentrate, because powdered makes him spit up) and have the cooler bag, I don't know if I would have gotten the Activpak to use everyday. I have enjoyed using it and I will continue to use it for those extended outings.

HTH some and if you have any more questions, please feel free to ask! I feel honored to be considered a backpack guru! :)

sbaker
05-21-2003, 10:53 PM
Have you seen the Eagle Creek Diaper Backpack? It's a little pricey, but it's well made. Here's a link:
http://www.eaglecreek.com/60075.html

Just my two cents...
:) :+ :)
Sara
SAHM to Rayce
02/09/02

kathsmom
05-22-2003, 01:54 PM
Sara,

I like the looks of that! Do you have one? My DH would kill me if I got another diaper bag, although he has agreed to let me get a smaller diaper backpack or sling for quick trips/errands. I don't think I would be downsizing with the Eagle Creek, unless they have smaller backpacks that I could convert to a diaper bag! I'll go back and check out the website again! I also love the look of the One Step Ahead High Performance Backpack!

Oh, the diaper bag envy I have!

myllam
05-22-2003, 03:41 PM
The eagle creek backpack is on sale right now at sierratradingpost for $39.95.

http://www.sierratradingpost.com/xq/asp/base_no.82449/str_base_no.21175,32586,33141,43859,43862,50115,55 274,55479,55480,63383,76624,82449,82468,99840,/header_title./page_name.prod_list_display_special.asp/search_type.L0%7E335/size1./size2./gender.0/ShowImages.yes/sq.0/cont.1/sqlSearchStr./intPgNo.1/special_type.sale/qx/product.asp

I don't have this one, but I have the 2001 model and I like it a lot. I also order a lot from the sierra trading post and they have a good return policy.

Edited to add that I found this free shipping code for sierratradingpost:

"Enter free shipping code 19846 in KEYCODE box when
placing your order. Code good till 6/15."

HTH.

Monica

Daisy918
05-22-2003, 03:47 PM
What is the inside of the Eagle Creek one like?

sbaker
05-22-2003, 04:20 PM
No, I don't have one. Before I got my I'm Still Me bags I was considering it. I haven't seen it IRL, but I've seen some of their other bags. The fabric was very lightweight, but seemed really tough.
When I was at the Bag'n Baggage store they did have a smaller Eagle Creek backpack that I thought would work well as a diaper bag, too. Here's a link to the one I looked at:
http://www.eaglecreek.com/60048.html

Just my two cents...
:) :+ :)
Sara
SAHM to Rayce
02/09/02

deananoelle
05-29-2003, 10:14 PM
Monica,
Thank you, thank you, thank you! My friend raved about this back pack and I have been longing for it but not at $70. I purchased it today using your information...I can't wait to get it! 42% savings and free shipping! Wow!

Thanks,
Deana