PDA

View Full Version : P3 and Kolcraft Universal

jenji30
05-22-2003, 05:41 PM
I recently purchased (still waiting for shipment!) the P3 stroller. Since then, I have received a bunch of advice about having two strollers -- in particular the Universal Car Seat stroller for quick trips. Here is my question:

According to the specs of the Kolcraft Universal, it weight about 14 pounds. How is this preferable over the 15 pound P3? Is it really that much easier to manuever, carry, etc? Having both sounded like a good idea, but I'm not sure under what circumstances I'd use one instead of the other (since I plan to just plop the car seat in the P3, as well).

Any insights?
Jennifer

emilyf
05-22-2003, 05:54 PM
I'm definitely in minority on this, but I only have one stroller (a zooper z-street) It is similar to the p-3 as far as weight, and I never really missed a snap n go, I either popped the carseat into the stroller, put him in the stoller w/out the seat or most often carried him in my baby bjorn. He was a winter baby, so we weren't out and about as much we are now, but that worked well for us. I know some people like the universal stroller for keeping in the trunk at all times and they are great for travel b/c of the big basket.
Emily
mom of Charlie born 11/02

chrissyhowie
05-22-2003, 11:46 PM
I'm with Emily on this one. I say hold off on getting the Kolcraft for now since you are getting a great stroller. I think the Kolcraft would be a good idea if the stroller you were getting could not accomodate an infant seat, which isn't the case with the P3. If you find out over time that you want something to keep in the car you can always get it after the baby's born.

memedee
05-23-2003, 08:17 AM
My daughter has the z street.
Do you an additional sunshade like a pepeny to go with it?
I think the stroller is great but the hood does not go down very much.
It does come with that net shade but that says it does not block out uvs.

cvharris
05-23-2003, 10:18 AM
I had a Kolcraft Universal that I recently sold after getting a P3, which I love. I never opened the Kolcraft, but I had the matching Peg infant car seat that snapped easily into the P3, so figured I would never use the Kolcraft.

Also, I think it is good to have the option of laying the baby down in the stroller, with all the posts warning about constant car seat use. If my baby is awake, I don't plan to use the infant car seat in the stroller, but just place him in the stroller directly.

emilyf
05-23-2003, 10:19 AM
I use my sunshade, and he looks pretty shaded under there, I guess I didn't realize it didn't block uv. I guess it depends how much she will be using it in direct sun- I have used it several times for pretty long walks in the sun and didn't see any signs of sun exposure. If the sun is behind you when you walk he stays pretty shaded by the canopy. I will probably try to use sunscreen if I think we will be outdoors for an extended period of time.
Emily
mom of Charlie born 11/02

teddy
05-23-2003, 12:09 PM
I also have the red Z Street and bought a black Pepeny shade for it. It's from Australia so it definitely blocks the UV rays. I found it at www.littlefolks.com.