PDA

View Full Version : cheap place to get one step ahead backpack?

Daisy918
05-23-2003, 07:28 PM
After much debate (thanks to everyone for all the advice!) I think I want the One Step Ahead High Performance Backpack. Is there a cheaper place to buy it than their website? ($80)

kathsmom
05-23-2003, 11:39 PM
Hi, Daisy!

I had e-mailed One Step Ahead the other day about the dimensions of this bag, because I am interested in getting a smaller backpack for quick errands. They e-mailed me back and said the dimensions were 16"x16"x9". I think the only place you can get these backpacks is on the website or on ebay. I saw 2 for auction the other day, but don't know if the auctions are over. One was a mauve color and the other was the hunter green featured on the website picture.

I saw the bag that had "smart" on it that you were interested in at BRU. It is by Baby Innovations.

Just being curious - what made you choose the One Step Ahead? I really like the looks of it and the closed/insulated bottle holders on the side are a definite plus! I don't think you could go wrong with that one!

Good luck and I hope you enjoy your bag!

Daisy918
05-24-2003, 08:04 AM
I like all the organization of it! But the dimensions seem big, don't they? I'm scared to buy something and not use it b/c it's cumbersome. Plus it's hard to justify $80...

What did you think of that 'smart' bag? I liked the looks of it a lot--i just don't know how much it would hold.

Andrea S
05-24-2003, 08:25 AM
I got the OSA backpack for air travel and it is great. I love all of the compartments. For me it is to big for everyday use. I wish I had packed a smaller bag for running around and used the OSA for all day outings. It was hard to swish in my stroller basket when we were out shopping.

I got mine when they had a 20% off code someone here had posted about a month ago I do not know when it expires it think it was sum20.

Andrea
mom to Andrew 8/14/02

stillplayswithbarbies
05-24-2003, 02:11 PM
I got this bag when they had the 20% off code, I think it was SUMMER20. I am returning the bag. For one thing, it is too big and heavy and stiff. For another, the zippers stick and are impossible to zip open and closed without using two hands and jerking them. I called OSA and they said I could return it, although she did not say this was a defect I suspect it is. I can't imagine they all work like that. The other thing I did not like is that the top does not open all the way to get into the large section. It's hard to see down in there and I imagine it would be hard to rummage around to find stuff.

I decided I would not buy any more diaper bags without seeing it in person. I went to The Right Start and looked at a Kelty Kids bag and decided that was it. (It was on sale for $47!) It is a bit smaller than the One Step Ahead bag. There are two small pockets and two big pockets on the outside. One compartment inside with a pocket there. The top unzips all the way with two zippers so you can see all the way inside. But the best feature is that you can carry it like a backpack, or with a shoulder strap or with handles. I am loving this bag. I took it on a trip last week and it was great in the airport. I can fit 10 diapers, my sling, a blanket and a change of clothes in the main section. Some burp cloths and toys in the outside pockets plus my bottle of water. And I still had room to spare.

Here it is on sale at babyage.com:

http://www.babyage.com/product_details.asp?productId=1572143

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

jenmcadams
05-24-2003, 07:34 PM
I have the Kelty backpack and have used it as our exclusive diaper bag for 9 months and really like it. But, if you prefer something with lots of organizational pockets, it might not be the right one for you. The outer pockets combined with the main area has been enough for me, but I know some folks have complained b/c they feel like the inside is just one big pocket (even though there is technically a small divider/pocket area where the changing pad goes).

I agree with Karen that the best part of it is the ways it can be carried...like all Kelty's, it's comfortable as a backpack, but it's nice that it has carry handles and a shoulder strap too.

Jen

gremlin44
05-24-2003, 09:14 PM
>I got this bag when they had the 20% off code, I think it
>was SUMMER20. I am returning the bag. For another, the zippers
>stick and are impossible to zip open and closed without
>using two hands and jerking them. I called OSA and they
>said I could return it, although she did not say this was a
>defect I suspect it is.

I also got mine with the 20% off. None of my zippers stick--and I use this bag everyday. I almost always am opening the zippers with just one hand.

>I can't imagine they all work like that. The other thing I did not >like is that the top does
>not open all the way to get into the large section. It's
>hard to see down in there and I imagine it would be hard to
>rummage around to find stuff.

Actually, it's not. I'm glad it doesn't zip down any further, or else I would be in constant fear of opening it and having all the contents tumble out. I like how almost all the zippered openings have two zippers so that you can open them from any direction.

kathsmom
05-27-2003, 09:07 AM
Daisy,

Sorry I am just now answering your question about the Baby Innovations backpack. We have been doing spring cleaning all weekend!

I went back to BRU yesterday to get a few things for DS and checked out the bag. DH commented that he thought it is about the same size as the Activpak. He held our Activpak up to it and it was very close in size. I do like the outside pockets. I put the backpack on my shoulder with the straps zipped together and it didn't hang right on me. I am not a big fan of drawstring/flap closures that this bag has. I prefer zippers.

I did see a new Eddie Bauer backpack diaper bag at Target. It is not the one with the drawstring/flap closure. This one closes with zips and I believe it was smaller than the Activpak, but it was open space in the main compartment. I am thinking of going back and getting it. I had bought the Babies Alley black microfiber backpack a few days ago, but I'm not sure I am keeping it.

Have you thought about getting a regular backpack and buying one of those kits to make it a diaper bag? I believe babystyle.com has the kit. I think it's $25-$30. It has 5 pieces to the kit.

One thing I did was to buy whatever bag interested me and I would pack it up, wear it, make DH wear it, and put it in my dinky stroller basket. That way, I could judge what the bag felt like with everything I wanted to carry. I returned whatever didn't work. I stopped ordering bags, because I couldn't afford to eat the cost of return shipping (I only ordered 2 bags, but didn't want to continue and end up with lots of charges if they didn't work!).

Good luck finding a bag! Let us know what you get!

Daisy918
05-27-2003, 02:23 PM
Yeah, that one is big, too. I just can't decide what to get. And I'm so sick of transferring my stuff from diaper bag to diaper bag. Right now I have a big one for the sitter, a big sling one for me that I hate, and the free small one from the hospital. I think I will get that ActivPack. I like how you said you organized yours. You've inspired me! And the price is def. right! :)

kathsmom
05-27-2003, 07:14 PM
Daisy,

If you are interested in the Activpak, I would suggest that you buy it and keep your receipt. Bring it home and fill it up with the things that you normally carry and then carry it around the house, put it in your stroller (my Activpak has a hard time fitting in my PP Venezia basket, but I can get it in if I don't overstuff it), get your DH to try it out. If you don't like it, just return it to BRU. The Activpak is not too heavy when I just put the regular diaper bag items in - it gets heavy when I add my bottle cooler bag. In fact, I am in the process of looking for a larger cooler bag, because I am trying to get DS to drink from sippys and he is starting to show more interest in solid foods.

Good luck! Let me know what you end up getting!