PDA

View Full Version : baby sherpa bag

sntm
05-23-2003, 11:17 PM
I got this for DH for father's day and it just came in today. Someone here had recommended it, but all her posts had been on the baby sherpa, so I was a little worried that she may have been a plant from the company! But DH had done his own research and determined that it was the best "rugged" bag. He's a mountain climber and very knowledgeable about gear and said it was superior to the Kelty and Eagle Creek diaper bags.

It looks great. Has some interesting features like modular bottle holders so you can move them around and the inside is silver to make things more visible inside. It feels very sturdy, like Chip's climbing gear. Has a little carabener (sp?), though that feels like cheapy metal as opposed to the real ones.

Have it stashed away for now, but I will let you know more when a) he sees it and b) we have the baby to use it with!

shannon
not-even-pregnant-yet-overachiever
trying-to-conceive :)
PREGNANT! EDD 6/9/03

edited to add:
here are DH's actual comments

My current top three choices for diaper backpacks are as follows:

Eagle Creek "Parent Survival Pack 2.0" http://www.eaglecreek.com/60075.html
1lb, 8oz., 1600cu.in., 8.5"x14"x16.5", 400 & 1000 denier fabric, CHERRY RED,
$70

Kelty "Diaper Backpack" http://babyant.com/bh023053.html
1lb, 11oz., 1000cu.in., 8"x11"x15", 450 denier fabric, BLACK (if avail), $56

Baby Sherpa http://www.babysherpa.com/
2lb, 9oz., 1596cu.in., 7"x12"x19", 600 & 1000 denier fabric, BLACK, $99

The Baby Sherpa is my favorite based on construction, looks, and
functionality. It even has a built-in insulated section to keep things cold and is the only one designed so much like a real backpack that it has a sternum strap.

Other comments:
-I like the extra capacity of the Eagle Creek & Baby Sherpa. 1600 cu.in. is a good size, less than 1000 is a waste of time.
-Kelty is small, I don't care for their color blue, but it does attach to the Kelty Kid Carriers if we planned to get one. The rope handles are a bit goofy, but at least match the logo. Hardly anyone sells it in BLACK, my preferred color for a backpack. REI sells this one (in blue) and the Eagle Creek. Would we ever get a kid carrier in the backpack style? I haven't researched those yet.

If I was to list them in order of preference:
1) Baby Sherpa
2) Eagle Creek
3) Kelty

There are some really pansy looking bags out there. These three are the least offensive I could find and the Baby Sherpa actually looks like something to be worn outside in an adventurous situation. The other two are still very urbanized. Eagle Creek makes most of their stuff for travelers (good quality), Kelty makes a lot of mid-grade camping equipment (primarily 'family' type camping). I equate most of the 'backpacks' out there (designer leather and fur-lined?!) with the people who wear a $400 North Face coat to the mall and are afraid of snow. Same types as would get a 4x4 SUV and never leave the pavement.

There you have it....
Chip Mc.
Concerned citizen, father (to be), and consumer

stillplayswithbarbies
05-24-2003, 02:20 PM
I was looking at the Baby Sherpa too, but as you, I figured the lady suggesting it was a plant and it turns out we were right! My suspicions turned me off of that bag. I like to make their schemes backfire like that.

Anyway, I decided on the Kelty. (by the way, The Right Start stores have it in black). It is cheaper at www.babyage.com right now and in the Right Start stores although it doesn't seem to be on their website.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03