PDA

View Full Version : Teutonias or Bebecars in Chicago?

teddy
05-25-2003, 01:05 PM
Does anyone know where I can test a Teutonia Pixxel or Bebecar Raider or Tracker in the Chicago area? I've called Bellini on Halsted, Cella on Lincoln, Lazar's in Lincolnwood, Baby's Room on LaSalle and in Arlington Heights, and Babies R Us in Schaumburg and Vernon Hills. Nobody has these strollers! The Teutonia/Britax website lists retailers but I've called them and they don't have strollers. The Bebecar website is no better. Help!

uccomama
05-25-2003, 01:13 PM
I can't help with the Bebecars but I can tell you you won't find a Teutonia PiXXel in any store in the Chicago area. Actually anywhere in the country except for Heritage Baby in San Diego, CA. Heritage Baby is the only place that had them and Britax, the distributor is not importing them into the US, so when their stock has gone, that's it for the PiXXel unless you order it from Europe.

Sorry I couldn't give you better news :(

Deborah

teddy
05-25-2003, 01:22 PM
Aieee! Thanks for the info, I guess... :(
Well, can anyone describe the feel and drive of the Pixxel?

blnony
05-25-2003, 07:58 PM
Also, I don't think Bebecar is distributed in the US anymore. It used to be distributed by Kidco; but no longer. I know you can find them in Canada and a few places on the web.

shishamo
05-25-2003, 09:58 PM
Hi,

I hope I am not breaking any rules, and if I did I am very sorry... but I have a Teutonia Pixxel for sale on Yahoo Strollerswap site if you are interested (please email me at [email protected]).
I can also answer some specific questions (whether you are interested in purchasing from me or not), but there were a number of discussion regarding Pixxel on this board and Parentsplace board. Just do a search under Pixxel and they should all come up.
You can see Pixxel at www.heritagebaby.com

HTH,

Sawa

partyof5
05-28-2003, 05:21 AM
I'm in Chicago and I just got my PiXXel from Heritage Baby last week. I think they have two left, one navy and one grey plaid. They are 2001 models. If you plan on ordering one from them make sure to call and ask them to apply the Strollerqueen discount which saves you 10%. If you want a 2003 model with the reversible seat, you would have to order one from Europe. [link:www.kinderwagen.de|Schmuck's] is a website that will ship to the US but it can be very expensive.

Now about the PiXXel. It's a very sturdy and roomy stroller but heavy, around 32 lbs or so. The fabric is nice and plush and the canopy can extend pretty far down toward the napper bar to provide adequate coverage. There's also a peek a boo window on top and the canopy can be unzipped in the back to provide some ventilation. I find it's easy to push and steer even with my 40 lb 3 yr old in it. Although I haven't tested it outside I think it will do fine on our uneven sidewalks because it has great shocks. The only drawback for me is that it's heavy and it doesn't stand on its own when folded. You wouldn't want to be lugging it up and down any stairs.

Have you looked at the Bugaboo? It is great for the city. Lightweight, versatile, and it's excellent at handling our uneven sidewalks. When my 28 lb DD #2 rides in the seat and my 40 lb DD #1 stands on the Bugaboo board I can still push and steer it effortlessly with one hand! It just glides along and you can't even tell that the sidewalk is uneven. I love it!

I hope this gives you a better idea of the PiXXel. If you have anymore questions about either stroller, ask away.

About Bebecar, [link:www.crocodile-kids.com/index.html|Crocodile Kids] in Canada carries them and so does [link:www.babyuniverse.com|Baby Universe] in the US.

Happy stroller shopping :)

teddy
05-29-2003, 09:21 AM
THANK you EVERYONE so much for your information! These boards are fantastic.

Now, I have decided that the Pixxel is not for me. As much as I appreciate the small, swivel front wheels, the walking I want to do with this next stroller won't have me in too many shops. I want a smooth ride for DD, so 4 big tires are okay. This also rules out the Bugaboo.

That said, I am considering the Zooper Walk Air again because I found one for under $200. BUT.... I also am planning for the future and am considering the Teutonia Regent. I like the carry cot feature, the reversible handle, and the ride-along board for the older kid. But Baby #2 is probably 2 years away and I want something to use this summer. So I am going to inspect the Walk Air today and decide if it's suitable.

Does anyone know if the charcoal color (now discontinued) has the aluminum or steel frame (see other post from today)?

:) You are all so great