PDA

View Full Version : stroller for NYC

sethi
05-26-2003, 10:46 PM
Hi, I need some advice about strollers for the city. I am due in October and we live in Manhattan. I really only want to get one stroller since space is limited in our apartment. I have narrowed it down to 3 strollers but am having a really hard time deciding. The 3 I was thinking about are the Mac Vogue, Zooper Zstreet, and P3 Perego Sportivo.

I am leaning toward the Perego but all I see is Macs which makes me think there is a reason why everyone has a Mac in Manhattan. I have been leaning toward the Perego b/c it has a great canopy which can be folded down for wind or rain and the plush seat so baby will be comfortable for long outings. It also seems the sturdiest of all 3 (ie. you can hang bags off it etc). My concern about the Perego is that it is too heavy to be used for subway/bus which I will be using a lot. Any thoughts on this or whether the P3 is a good city stroller?

I think the Mac Vogue is great but I am afraid the baby wont be comfortable in it for all day outings such as shopping or walking on the street for long periods of time. Also, there is no infant car seat adaptability. Does anyone have any thoughts about how comfortable the Mac Vogue is to be used as a primary stroller for being out all day?

The Z street seemed great but the canopy seems useless to me and I think it would be important if you are out all day. Also, the basket in the Zstreet seems useless. Anyone else think the canopy is really important in the city?

I have also seen the Zippy but dont like the carrying handle (seems so hard to carry although has a great fold!!)

Any thoughts about what is the best single stroller for Manhattan/city life? Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!
Thanks so much,
-Confused in NYC

Debtex
05-27-2003, 03:23 AM
Well, I'm living the urban life in Europe, and we chose the Bugaboo (so none of the ones you mentioned.) We're hoping to stick to one as well, and figured one fantastic stroller was more likely to allow us to keep it to one that one pretty-good one (at least that's what we told ourselves as we signed the Visa chit for an OUTRAGEOUS sum of money for a stroller.) It's lightweight, the canopy design is wonderful, it turns on a dime, and has great shocks. It comes with a rain cover and a bassinet, and so we can use it for ages 0-3 and in all weather. Basically, it's your urban commando stroller.

The only thing that comes to mind that might cause problems in NYC is that I seem to recall a past post that you have to collapse strollers in NYC on the bus (don't know about the subway.) Since the Bugaboo breaks down into 2 pieces, and really does require 2 hands to break down, that might be problematic. (I can ride the metro and the trams here with the stroller "locked" instead of breaking it down.)

HTH,
Deb

APG
05-27-2003, 06:25 AM
If all you want is 1 stroller, I would go with the peg perego. I have a Mac Vogue and in my opinion, it is not suitable for a newborn while the Pliko is due to the full recline

momathome
05-27-2003, 08:19 AM
Something else you may want to consider is buying a stroller frame like the Baby Trend Snap 'n Go or the Kolkraft Universal Carseat Carrier, both of which hold an infant carseat and do not take up much space. They retail between $50-60. By the the time your baby outgrew this stroller, they would be old enough to use a Maclaren. I have a Maclaren Vogue and absolutely love it. The new Techno may also be worth considering - the padding is much nicer than it used to be and I have heard that it has a nearly flat recline. I also have a Peg Pliko, which is my all-time favorite, but it is most definitely too heavy to be dragging on and off of a subway. I recently visited Boston with a friend of mine and we both brought our Vogues. It was hard enough lugging these strollers up and down subway steps while dealing with small children - I can't even imagine using anything heavier than this! Good luck!
-Lauren

emilyf
05-27-2003, 08:50 AM
I have a z-street and love it, I chose it over the pliko because of the one-handed steering issue (I have a dog). The canopy is kind of skimpy, but it comes with separate rain and sun shields, the basket is pretty inaccessible when reclined, I end up hanging things on the handle. I think the p3s are much better now though, so if I was looking now I might have gone that way. I think that is what I would choose if I were you.
Emily
mom of Charlie born 11/02

Blue Jeans Mama
05-27-2003, 10:09 AM
Hi I don't live in NYC but I go there sometimes. If I were you I would go with a Malaren stroller. Either the 2003 Techno or the 2003 Voque, the recline on the Techno is almost flat. As for the wind both stroller come with a rain cover that I have used for very windy days.

If you are concern about the stroller not been plush you can always get add a StrollSoft or a sheep skin.

http://www.kiddopotamus.com/prod_ii.html
http://www.kiddopotamus.com/prod_ss.html
http://www.organicbebe.com/stroller_fleeces.asp

I have a 2002 Techno and I use the Stroll soft a LOT. It fit the stroller perfect.

One thing I love about Mac is how easy they are to close. Something you might need.

The P3 is also a good stroller the ONLY thing I can think you might have problem with is that you need both hands to close it. So if you are by yourself with your baby it might be a problem.

HTH

Cathy

agigs
05-27-2003, 10:33 AM
Hi -
I live in Manhattan and have the zStreet I love it. I looked at all the strollers you mentioned and I thought the zStreet blew them all away by which it handles. The steering is amazing and you can push it one handed. Next time you see a Mac - look at the baby in it. The babies almost always loook "smunched" down in the stroller. And I don't like the fact that they don't have the bar up front so that the babies can put their feet up or hold on to it to sit up. The basket in the zStreet isn't the best - one drawback.

As far as the canpoy issue - I agree, it's not that great. The one on the Peg is great, but still not the reason to get that stroller. What you can do is buy a sunshade for the stroller. I just did. You'll see them all over the city on strollers. They sell them at Albee's, Planet Kids, Schneider's etc..

I don't like the Peg's for the city because they are much harder to steer. It doesn't seem like a big deal, but when you are on the crowded streets, you'll go crazy.

I would definitely get the Kolcraft Carrier - what a fabulous invention. I've used that in tandem with the zStreet. When we go out for long walks I use the zStreet. When we run errands I use the Kolcraft carrier.

Hope this helps, have fun looking.

memedee
05-27-2003, 10:45 AM
Which sunshade did you buy?
I looked at the pepeny and the hide a bub on line. Do those stores you mentioned stock sunshades?
My daughter has the z street in platinum.She has not used it yet as she has been using a kolkraft for quick trips.
I am not in love with the sunshade that comes with the z street.I think a hood extender type would be better.

agigs
05-27-2003, 11:41 AM
Hi -
I bought the Bertini Sunshade from the website below, just easier to order online. I found this link on another posting on these boards. Planet Kids does sell the sunshade. I would call ahead to make sure they are in stock.
I totally agree with you, I don't like the zStreet sunshade either. Too much sun was getting in - obviously not doing the job.

http://www.forthenewmom.com/pepeny%20shadecovers.htm

-Andrea

MamaKath
05-27-2003, 04:37 PM
Well, as someone who up until recently commuted on NYC's MTA buses and subways, I would go for a Zooper or a Perego P3. The Zooper will have the plushness you like in the Pliko with the fold of the Mac. However I would also use a P3 in NYC in a heartbeat.I think these tend to be more suited to the rugged sidewalks (and lets not forget potholes) of NYC. Some other options might be a Combi UltraSavvy, Aprca (these have a liftime guarentee on the wheels, much better than having to replace a Macs wheels at approx. $100 each time) or Inglesina Swift.

You also will need some kind of hipcarrier/sling for the ride on the bus. On the subway you don't have to fold, but it does make it easier to get downstairs (don't count on elevators working).

Macs are great, however they tend to be too sloping in the seat for some kids, and too tippy for some parents to feel comfortable using them.

Lots of NY parents actually also use the Graco Kite, Citilite/Citisport, and Metrolite because of their easy fold. This surprised me because longevity wise, they aren't the best. However do remember you can purchase a few of these before you reach the full price of a Mac (you can find good deals on last years models).

HTH

http://pages.ivillage.com/mamakath/mystrollercollection/index.html