PDA

View Full Version : The Best Back Carrier For Father's Day?

bathbody
05-27-2003, 09:24 AM
We are first-time parents to be, and I want to find a great back carrier for DH for Father's Day. He says he refuses to wear a front carrier. I know absolutely nothing about back carriers, but I guess we'd be needing one for shopping/zoo excursion...no heavy-duty hiking.
OPINIONS MUCH NEEDED!

sarasprings
05-27-2003, 10:07 AM
When your baby is smaller, a sling or front pack is more appropriate than a backpack carrier. We have a Kelty front pack, which is black and made for hiking, so it is more masculine looking. I know Tough Traveler makes them, as well. We didn't try non-hiking brands on before buying ours, but the Kelty was very comfortable.

For backpacks, my husband tried on every Kelty, one Gerry, and every Tough Traveler. He preferred the TT (which we found out about from this board) because it was more adjustable than Kelty (I don't really know how) and it distributed our baby's weight better. They also sell a mirror that attaches to the pack so that the wearer can look back at the baby. DH has been very happy with that pack. He did say that the lower end ones were not as comfortable -- so even if you don't plan on hiking, it may be worth getting one if you plan on being at the zoo or out and about for more than an hour or so.

redhotpepper
05-27-2003, 03:20 PM
My dh is an actual hiker and he purchased a backpack carrier from REI. He has been very pleased with it. I believe it's called the Piggyback. It also comes with the little mirror to see what's going on back there!

My dh wouldn't wear the Baby Bjorn either!

Annie

Jeanmick
05-27-2003, 08:57 PM
I posted the following in reply to a question over at "Toddler Bargains." I second redhotpepper's recommendation to the REI Piggyback. I've copied the reply I posted below:

We purchased the REI Piggyback from our local REI store back in 2001 (they also sell it on-line if you don't have a store in your area). We really like this carrier compared to others we've tried. It's comfortable for us to wear (I'm 5'4" and my husband is 5'11" and was comfortable for our daughter to ride in. We've had other friends and relatives of various weight and body types try it and they also thought it was comfortable.

It has a good-sized rear compartment, two elasticized pockets and a front mesh pocket. It's not too bulky...holds enough for diapers, wipes, change of outfit, bottles, wallets, keys, etc.. What my husband really likes about this pack is that it comes w/ an unbreakable mirror so that he was able to see our daughter to make sure she was okay. We also purchased the rain/sun bonnet. It's a relatively light-weight (about 5 1/2 pounds), cool-looking carrier and we can't wait to use it again when our second child is old enough!

Go to:
http://www.rei.com
click: "Kid's Shop...Child carrier/strollers"

Check it out and compare it to the others. Good luck in your search and hope this helps.