PDA

View Full Version : What would you buy for a used double mall stroller?

sbirmantaz
05-27-2003, 03:30 PM
My 2 kids will be 13 months apart and I am going to get a MBDT (I think!) for outdoor use, but now need an indoor stroller. I don't go to the mall often, but when I do I would like a stroller that is easy to use, not too wide etc... So, that's why I am thinking I should go with a good used stroller. Any ideas would be helpful as to good strollers that are a few years old now. Thanks!

stella
05-27-2003, 04:40 PM
Why not a double urban? That's what I have fpr my 17 months- apart babies and it is very versatile.

I bought a cheap double (avalon $60 at Baby Depot) for just what you describe - to complement my MBDU and I'm getting ready to sell it.

I think you're right - as little as you go to the mall now, you will probably go even less with 2 babies - or babies yes, but toddlers no. But the MBUD will be agile enough for the mall and a pleasure to drive outdoors.

I have not found a satisfactory answer to the double mall stroller dilemma.

A combi twin savvy might be the thing - or maybe the Kolcraft double. But my avalon doesn't push so well - it's pretty heavy loaded with 2 babies totaling about 40 lbs. I yearn for the MB every time I don't take it. And it's no more difficult to take in and out of the car than the 22 lb avalon.

I do look forward tohearing other responses to your question.

And if you can afford it, get yourself some help with those two babies. It's starting to be really fun (6 months and 23 months), but it is always INTENSE!!

Congratulations!!

pamela mom of 3
05-27-2003, 07:14 PM
The double urban option may work for you, what is the "outdoors" use? I use my MBDU as a mall stroller oddly enough i know it doesn't strike most as though it's suitable for that but it is. Weight wise it's really no worse than a graco duoglider..

As to used dbles..hmm an older mac dble would be good not 2002! they messed up a bunch & they landed with narrow seats. A perego microtwin or ariatwin{not sure how many would be out there 2nd hand tho} combi but not the 2001 with the breaking handles LOL ;-)

HTH :)

gravymommy3
05-27-2003, 07:27 PM
I agree - go with the MBUD. You will love it for the mall and it will prob. meet most of your outdoor needs as well. I throw my older two in mine (to keep them from running wild in the mall) and throw Hayden in a hip carrying device and off we go. Good luck to you.

sbirmantaz
05-28-2003, 06:53 AM
wow, thanks for the ideas! But, now I am getting nervous about the 2 baby thing! I am 17 weeks now so I have yet to think about the daily reality of 2! Yikes! As for the stroller, I do 90%+ of my stroller use outside on old bumpy sidewalks, grass and gravel roads, that's why I am leaning towards the terrain. I also already have a fixed wheel (zooper buddy) and like it... I would only use the stroller inside about once a month, so not sure if I should sacrifice the fixed wheels for that? Now, to throw another wrench into my plans, my dh likes the idea of a tandem outside stroller (Gozo, Kiwi...) I don't want to go back to the drawing board yet again!!

pamela mom of 3
05-28-2003, 10:58 AM
Hi, ok well if your roads are realy, really bad you may find the terrain the better bet....the urban handles alot of outdoor stuff very well, however if your going across very uneven places and such then the terrain has a lower center of gravity.

The gozo would be great for outdoors i know strollerqueen owned one....not sure at what age you can start using one though.....i don't think it really folds either...but if that is for outside then really doesn't matter.

The kiwi for really rough stuff i dunno...i mean again she is like the urban can handle most stuff no problem but again i don't think a fixed swivel wheel replaces a fixed wheel. Plus for outdoors you would need some sort of back seat protection for the little one and the seat weight limit isn't there....i figured i will use my doubles MB"s outside for years after the indoor use is gone....the kiwi i couldn't i think her concept is better for travel....moderate outdoor and indoor crowded use.

Basically what i always tell people is spend the most money on what you will use most.

Can you test drive any of the choices your looking at to see which suits you?

Oh and as to more than one.....don't worry you get it down pretty quick! ;)

sbirmantaz
05-28-2003, 02:20 PM
Thanks for the encouragement! As for strollers, unfortunately (as far as I know and researched) I don't have any way to test drive any of the all terrain doubles we've mentioned... I live in the Boston area too, which you would think would have some places to see them... Very frustrating, but makes a board like this so indispensable to have as a resource! I really value everyone's opinions! Thanks again.