PDA

View Full Version : has anyone NOT loved their MBUS or MBTS? why?

zen_bliss
05-27-2003, 08:13 PM
i read thru the archives about the relative merits of terrain vs. urban & these seem to be universally adored. just curious if there are dissenters... thinking about taking the plunge...

also, are there any links to pix of BB members' mountain buggies? the old links are not working.

beckyr88
05-27-2003, 09:07 PM
No complaints with my MBTS yet!! DD seems to like it too...(most important, I guess...:) ) It did take some getting used to, not having the steering front wheel, but now I am used to it and can really manouver well. It just feels so sturdy.

I recommend the "plunge"!!!!

stella
05-27-2003, 09:07 PM
Well, I adore my Double Urban, but if I had to complain about something: it's heavy. 32 lbs. Not any heavier than my zooper walk air single (or if it is heavier, not substantially) and it takes up a good bit of space in the trunk of my car.

But it is so well-engineered and fabulous that it's worth every pound - and every penny.

In the double department, your options are limited and it was by far the best of what's available IN MY OPINION! (I know there are some kiwi-lovers out there as well - I have never seen one living out here in the sticks).

But I know you want a single - I wouldn't hesitate to take the plunge on an urban single - in fact, I'd love one, but can't figure out any way to justify that!!

This should be a good thread. I can't wait to keep reading!

zen_bliss
05-31-2003, 10:33 AM
the resounding lack of response is the highest endorsement ever!
it is the sara lee of strollers: nobody doesn't love it :) or however that annoying ad goes

pamela mom of 3
05-31-2003, 07:03 PM
Well their must be something i like about since i own four ;)

Seriously though....they are not for everyone, why? not all like the rugged more basic set-up that they offer....i mean they are no plush..grammed with fit-a-dog-sized-baskets or the coffee and snack holders but they do give great durability and great function they are like a tank.

Complaints? my double isn't light but really neither is a graco duoglider actually i think it's worse....and people survive just fine with them LOL...i'm used to the weight now, heck if i can carry my sound asleep 44lb 7yo, i can lift a 32lb stroller! plus i am small just under 5'2 and vary between 100/105lbs and this buggy goes into the back of a full sized GMC truck so up off the ground..i figure if i can do this somebody bigger should be ok :+
Yet as for singles they are quite managable..17lbs MBTS and 19lbs MBUS...so that is more of a "double" than a single issue.

I suppose i would like some liners you know extra padding? i have bowron sheepskins which work great but they did cost me extra $$..

The urban single is a bit wide in the back so you do have to be more aware of where you can go but really i manage fine, just a matter of getting used to the strollers design.....

I mean i don't really have any complaints...more just maybe add this{liners} make this a bit bigger{basket} etc...NO stroller is perfect i think everybody has a few things they would change the important thing is the good outweighs the bad for you. Why i like my MB's is they are strong, EASY to push with any of the 3 kids, Can actually fit any of the 3 kids{7, 4.5, 2.5} and still go through all the winter slush and muck we have in this countries ever'lasting winters....the ride are good which is important being rual i know i won't rattle my kids to death, they are simple to operate and have what i need without being "overdone" with stuff i don't really need...i like the looks too, not babyish so my 7yo isn't concerned about hopping in.

Again they are not for everyone but for us they work just fine ;)

My site shows three of them
http://pages.ivillage.com/cl-pamelamomof3

ginalc
05-31-2003, 10:14 PM
I own a MBUD and love love LOVE the way it steers!

This evening, I only had 1 kiddo with me and went for a walk with my fixed-wheel Instep jogger. I've really gotten spoiled with the front-swivel wheel on the Mountain Buggy. Hard to push anything else these days! (except maybe my Mac single :) )

gina, mom to 3

smiley76
06-01-2003, 01:02 AM
I have never seen a MB IRL (only online). But I must say I don't get it. Please tell me why it's so great (or maybe it's better for me not to know LOL).
I have a jogger that I can take on rough terrain, and a stroller I can take to the malls ect. The MB is unpadded (it seems), the canopy doesn't look like it is full range (I may be wrong about that..) doesn't have a napper bar.. Why would I want one?

Puzzled

ginalc
06-01-2003, 01:36 PM
Can you believe, this stroller almost pushes itself!?! I bought the double after going through agony trying to find a suitable double that wouldn't break my wrists while trying to manage 2 children. I can easily push mine one-handed while it holds 80 lbs of kid, while holding the hand of my 2.5 yr old as well, in the mall, at the zoo, you name it!

It's really hard to push another stroller after pushing something as easy as a Mountain Buggy. After the birth of my 3rd baby I realized that I really only have 1 back, 2 arms, and a finite amount of energy.
That's why we're crazy enough to spend that kind of money on a stroller! :)

BTW, this stroller is really my only luxury item. And, it's for the children, right? :)

gina, mom to 3

stella
06-01-2003, 03:04 PM
Gina, I think you would be a bad mother if you hadn't given the children a MBUD. They deserve it!! So, is the reason we are so tight on cash these days that I have a MBUD, 2 britax RA carseats, 2 maclaren umbrella strollers, a zooper walk air, a Bonavita bed, a baby bjorn, and the list goes on...

But in my defense, I have never bought a swing (borrowed), borrowed baby #2's crib becasue #1 is still in his, the Bonavita was 1/2 off as a floor sample at Burlington, the MB was a gift, the only gear that has been new for baby #2 was the MB and I didn't buy it.

Seriously, every time I have tried to make do with something cheaper I have regretted it. For example, I bought 2 cosco touriva convertible seats for dh's car and mil's car and I cannot abide them. There is no comparison with the Britax - although there are nicer carseats out there that are not a Britax - I'm sure there's a happy medium.

I think you are right on the money with the steering itself comment. It's incredible and I just love it.

Why would you want one?
-The steering (you cannot know until you have pushed one or another high-end stroller how bad many strollers are)
-It's got a fabulous swivel wheel, turns on a dime, very maneuverable
-Is compact for an all-terrain (and for a double, but I know you're asking from a single point of view)
-Is very comfortable for the babies (it looks uncomfortable to me, but they never complain in the MB)
-Is extremely solid and well-built
-There is no effort to pushing 40 lbs of baby and 30 lbs of stroller - it is so well-engineered.
- It really does look cool (not that this is a good reason to buy a stroller - although it helps with dh)

We've loved ours - so much so that I'm thinking I need a bigger car - like an SUV with a cargo area so that I can take it more places. I guess I just need to practice this trunk-hoisting thing.

But if you're happy with your strollers, I suggest not trying one because then you may get into this stroller-envy cycle and it can be very expensive!

Did I explain anything at all? I really didn't "get it" either until it arrived in the mail, and I have bever looked back! I wouldn't trade it for anything!

McQ
06-06-2003, 11:02 AM
Does anyone know where I can test drive a MBUS in the DC area?

Sandy
06-06-2003, 11:58 AM
Yes. You can set up an appointment with babyoutfitters. Here is their website.

www.banjobaby.com

Click on contact us button and you will find their address, phone # etc...

Sandy
mom to Alexander Thor 3/16/02

Miiki
06-06-2003, 02:20 PM
To Pamela, Gina & Stella-

You gals have helped me a lot in making up my mind to get an MB.

I will use it mostly for jogging but it seems like a great city/country AT vehicle.
I like the compactness of it. One thing that is not often mentioneed. It is shorter, front wheel to handles than most/all? other joggers and AT's.

You have answered many questions but I still need to know-
will a single fit in the trunk of a Volvo and leave room for weekend gear when we go away? Usually I will not use the car but on occasional weekends, I will want to take it with us to the beach.

Thanks!
Miiki

ddmarsh
06-06-2003, 09:27 PM
Oh I'm so going to have to use that phrase "every time I have tried to make do with something cheap I've regretted it" - it makes the purchase of expensive baby gear sound *so* necessary and just! I'm just giddy thinking of popping that one on DH. I can see it now, the look of utter dismay as he searches, grasps but find that there simply is no response to such a wondeful statement..........ok, well I can dream :).

BTW, I love my MBUS but find that closing the back of my van door with it is difficult. I'm seriously going to buy a bungy cord and wrap it around one of the back headrests to secure it so I can get the hatch down. Other than that, it's a great stroller and I think really comfortable for the babies.

Debbie
Mommy to 3 boys, 1 girl

Bsuperbmom
06-08-2003, 12:35 PM
Okay I'll complain a bit-

First of all I do love our MBUD. It is way cool and MAN does it push... I mean it glides, it's effortless. Really! For my family it is our only option since I have big dudes that ride in it.

But it has a huge & terrible fold and baskets, our footplate looks terrible already, fabric getting dirty...grrr. The front wheels sometimes have a mind of thier own, it really ought to have a hand brake. When the seats are reclined my knees bump into it. The kids sometimes get sick of being so reclined even when it is in its most upright position. They are very recumbant children but sometimes they try to sit up and kinda lean forward in the seat, which affects the momentum of the stroller.

But when ever I am getting miffed about something like this I start pushing it and wow, like butter. I mean what do I really need my stroller to do? Push I guess.

So overall I am happy. Great CS. I have pestered the guys I got mine from and he is super nice. And the kids LOVE it. My DD often chooses it for her walks even when she is going alone.

So nothing is perfect but the MB are way cool!

madzach2
06-08-2003, 04:10 PM
Thanks Bsuperbmom for your honesty :) I have been going back and forth on the MBUD for the past 2 months. I have to purchase this sight-onseen since there is no dealer in the MA/RI/NH area. This will be my *ONLY* stroller due to space constraints. We live in Boston so it will be used multiple times each day and folded up after each use. If you don't mind, I have a few followup questions for you...
1) I have an infant and a 3+ year old, so one of the sides will be reclined fairly often. I'm concerned about the "knee bumping"...how tall are you?

2) How badly does the MBUD's swivel wheels have a mind of their own, and under what conditions? I will be navigating through uneven brick/pavement, curbs, around tree guards, up and down hills, etc. Also, under what conditions do you find it necessary to lock the swivel wheels into the fixed postion?

3) My toddler has been happy/comfortable hitching rides in a friend's Baby Jogger and doesn't complain about the seat's angle...do you know if it is similar to the MBUD? My daughter hated the Mac's for this very reason - she kept pulling forward to sit up more straight. So, I'd hate to find out the MBUD is similar.

Thanks in advance for all you help!

Miiki
06-08-2003, 04:37 PM
Hi-

I live in Boston too. Cambridge really.
Have also been debating about the ideal jogging stroller-
I have to say my 22 month yr old d loves her Macs- she likes the recline.
From what I could tell from pics, the MB has a similar recline to the Macs which is why I think she would like it.
We have napper bar/upright toddler friends but my gal just likes to "chill out" in the stroller and observe- but not really partake.
This led me to think the MB might be an option.
From the sound of it, your dd might not like it so much.

Hopefully, we wrap this search up soon!
I want a new stroller I can jog with and go to the beach with-

Ciao for now
Miiki

Bsuperbmom
06-09-2003, 03:31 PM
Okay- I am just shy of 5'8 with no shoes. The bumping happens to DH too; he's 5'11. It did NOT happen to my mom who is like 5'2. I kvetched about this at the PP board and height played a role based on the responses I got. More petite moms seemed ok as I recall.

Th wheels are the most dangerous IMO while going across a hill or incline. Like occasionally if a sidewalk has a pitch to it. I am in Illinois where it is mostlty flat!!!! (God is it flat!) so I really do not put my locks on often, its just not worth it. Going straight up or down wouldn't matter that much, I don't think. But when on a hill be sure to have a good grip and use the hand strap 'cause this baby has momentum!

The stroller will drift even flat, like stopping in the mall, then the wheels can get turned on each other. The trick that works for me when starting from a stopped position is to pull back to straiten wheels then go forward.

I have not seen a BJ in a while so I would say the the MBs seems to be angled about the same. YK, typical jogger hammock type thing- but based on these pix I am not so sure-

http://www.babyjogger.com/

http://pages.ivillage.com/superbmom/myfirststrollerpixwebsite/id1.html

see how the BJ baby seems more upright? But she is not wearing a slippery fleece snosuit like my baby was.