PDA

View Full Version : sorting out slings/carriers -- our specific situation

wpainter
05-28-2003, 03:10 PM
I've got a 4.5 month old son who weighs over 16.5 pounds. I very much want to wear him around much more than we do, but I've run into several problems:

1. My Nojo sling is just *wrong*. I ripped out padding and rails, and I still can't get it right. It's not tight enough and my biggest issue is I really can't go hands-free. I don't trust it to keep him in. I want a sling that is *really* secure, so that I can put him in and know that I can move all about and not drop him.

2. I have horrible back problems to begin with, and I can only use things like the Baby Bjorn for about 15 minutes before I start hurting.

3. We live in Texas, and keeping the baby close to me makes him HOT, so I need a very cool material.

Given those constraints, can anyone help me out? I've been looking at the peppermint site (http://www.peppermint.com/) and Kangaroo Korner (http://www.kangarookorner.com/), but honestly now I'm just *more* confused by the proliferation of choices out there. To review, I need something that:

1. Can be worn *securely*, no worries about being hands-free.

2. Won't kill my back with this kid who's bursting out the percentile charts.

3. Is made of something cool enough so that we don't both get heatstroke from the other's body heat.

Thanks!

Wendy
Mom to William, 1/13/03

Susann
05-28-2003, 03:21 PM
I just learned that the Nojo sling is for huge people. If I was you I would try out the solarveil sling that kangarookorner had on their site.I mean, can thre be anything lighter than that?
About the handsfree: I would only occassionally take my hand of the baby, maybe it's just me, although I was very comfortable wearing a sling.My third baby had a bad habit of arching back, so with her I just had to pull the sling all the way back to her neck and hold on tho her all the times.
Good luck
Susann

C99
05-28-2003, 04:21 PM
There isn't anything worn on your front that is truly "hands-free" in that you have full use of both arms for an extended period of time. However, I have a HotSlings.com sling and although I hated every other sling, I like it. It's made of cotton and was cut specifically to my measurements. My son is only 14 lbs., but the sling is fairly comfortable when I wear it on my shoulder (and not on my neck). In any case, Kristen's slings are only $18.85 w/shipping so if you try it and don't like it, you're not out a lot of money.

stillplayswithbarbies
05-28-2003, 08:34 PM
I love my Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch. It was handsfree only when she was first born and would sleep in the tummy to tummy position.

I also have a New Native Baby Carrier for when it is too hot outside for the fleece pouch. It's basically the same, except it is not adjustable.

I don't know of any front carrier that would be hands free.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

ginalc
05-28-2003, 10:11 PM
Have you considered the Ergo Carrier or a Baby Trekker? They are made to distribute the weight of baby more evenly and will do better as your child continues to top off the charts! :)

I have a horrible back too (well it wasn't so bad before I had kids! :) )and can only use my slings for a short time before I'm in pain. With my 33 lb. 2.5 yr old and my 19.5 lb. soon-to-be 6 month old, I can use my Baby Trekker all day. I use it when I'm hanging laundry on the line, doing dishes, cooking, using my exercise bike, vacuuming, folding clothes, out for hikes, nursing baby, you name it! It truly is a hands-free carrier!

I don't handle the heat well, either, and I find the Baby Trekker easier to wear even when it's hot than my slings. Slings wrap around you and baby completely while the Ergo or Baby Trekker allows more air to flow over and cool both mom and baby. If you're a skinny-minny, the Ergo is a great option. If you'd like something that even DH can wear comfortably, the Baby Trekker is maybe the better deal. For more info:

www.babytrekker.com

HTH,

gina, mom to 3