PDA

View Full Version : Anything you don't like about the Baby Trekker carrier?

csa12
05-30-2003, 03:05 PM
Hi Everyone!

I would like to carry my 17lb 4 month old Ds more and find the Baby Bjorn to difficult to use now that DS is getting bigger.

I have read the reviews on the Baby Trekker and am this close to getting it.

Experienced users, is it really comfortable to wear for a couple of hours? How does it fare in warmer weather? It seems to provide more support than the Ergo carrier, but with all that fabric it seems like it could get pretty warm.

How easy is it to put on by yourself?

Sorry for the repeat questions and appreciate the feedback,
Cheryl :)

Piglet
05-30-2003, 04:35 PM
Hi,

I considered the Baby Trekker and had a few problems:

1) DS didn't like the padding by his face - he is pretty short in the torso, and the padding rode up on his cheeks (and made him look like a bulldog, LOL)
2) I had a hard time putting it on.

That having been said, all carriers take some getting used to, and this is no different. I ended up buying one called the "Maximom" (also somtimes called the Tot Tender) and really like it.

http://www.4coolkids.com/carriers/maximom.html?gMaxiMomSection=1

It is very reasonable priced, goes up to 35 pounds and is very versatile.

I know others have been very happy with the Trekker, but DS didn't like it.

uccomama
05-30-2003, 09:02 PM
It is a very comfortable carrier for the wearer, but I am not so sure its the best carrier for the baby. Because of its design the baby isn't carried in an anatomically correct position. The carrier places the baby's weight on the pelvis which is not ideal. If you look at how a baby naturally holds themselves when carried they go into a froggy position with their legs tucked under them and their back rounded. The Trekker supports them in a straight position which isn't good for their spines and doesn't allow them to hold their legs as they would naturally do.

The Ergo Baby Carrier provides the baby with much better support where is it is needed in their pelvis and lower back.

If you aren't sure about the Ergo Baby Carrier, I would look at the Wilkinet in preference to the Trekker. It offers the same flexibility but is more anatomically correct for the baby. I have had a Wilkinet carrier for all three of my children and have loved it. It is very comfortable and easier to manage because it uses ties rather than buckles. http://www.wilkinet.com

Deborah

csa12
05-30-2003, 09:34 PM
Wow, thanks for the feedback Deborah. The Wilkinet looks pretty promising. (It's amazing the wealth of info and variety of products you learn about from these boards!!) I am going to check out the instructions tomorrow. Can I ask how much you paid for it?

Thanks for the reference and link! :)
Cheryl

uccomama
05-30-2003, 09:42 PM
Good question, because I bought mine almost six years ago. But I think I paid pretty much the same as it is now. They do ship to the US and are very quick.

If you have anymore questions about the Wilkinet, just ask!

Deborah

Mom of Three
06-01-2003, 09:17 AM
No, I had one and it was great to wear in warm weather, it fit both DH (a big guy and me) and was super comfortable even after a couple of hours.

hth

ginalc
06-01-2003, 12:46 PM
When it's hot outside, it's going to be hot wearing a baby as well. I choose the Baby Trekker over a sling in the summer simply because not as much of me is covered, so I'm cooler. Also, I find that when I'm walking for a great distance, the Trekker is nice because it takes the work of carrying a baby off of one side and I actually feel less winded and hot. Breezes generally cool me and baby at the same time.

If I were to choose another carrier, it would be the Ergo. I considered the Wilkinet when I shopped for a soft carrier a few years ago. At that time I decided that the long straps of the Wilkinet would annoy me and make taking baby in and out quickly an issue. I've been very happy with the Baby Trekker and use mine daily.

I think the Ergo would be a good choice for you to consider.

gina, mom to 3

csa12
06-01-2003, 03:12 PM
Hi Gina -
Thanks for the valuable feedback. I think I will try out the Ergo, based on what you mentioned: easy on and off, less bulk, etc. I got pretty frustrated with my Maya Wrap, so the Wilkinet will probably not work for me either.

Thanks again,

uccomama
06-01-2003, 05:39 PM
Actually, I have both the Ergo and Wilkinet and the Wilknet, believe it or not, is easier to get the baby in and out of than the Ergo, even though it ties.

Deborah

csa12
06-01-2003, 07:50 PM
Hi Deborah -

I don't mean to pester you so much about this sling business, but If you were me and not very patient with adjusting a carrier/sling, had a fairly heavy child (17lbs at 4 months) and needed something to wear him with to go on walks with a big lab and a medium sized border collie, and do a little housework . . . which carrier would you reach for first: the Ergo or the Wilkinet?

I think I may order both and see which one suits me.

Thanks so much for your help,

uccomama
06-01-2003, 08:12 PM
I would reach for the Ergo. For several reasons: it has a larger seat area and with a 17 lb 4 month he/she is only going to get bigger and heavier! For walks and housework the Ergo is great as you will be using the backcarry. It just isn't so great for the front or side carry. The Wilkinet is much more comfortable in those positions.

The Ergo does take a bit of practice to get the baby in and out of -- especially in. Also, with the Wilkinet I can lay a sleeping baby down and get him out without waking, even in the back carry. It isn't so easy in the Ergo but is doable.

I hope this is helping with your decision. I know its hard trying to decide on two different carriers without trying them out. This is probably why I have fifteen! I do have an excuse though, as I am about to teach a babywearing workshop!

Deborah

csa12
06-01-2003, 08:30 PM
Hi Deborah!
Thanks so much for your prompt and helpful advice. It was funny because I was just reading the thread about the Zolo sling and saw your post, I was thinking "wow, how many slings does she have?" :) LOL!

I also checked out the instructional videos for the Wilkinet and it DOES look easier than I first thought. I also like how you can use it for a newborn up to an older baby. I did some converting and it looks like it will cost me about $56 plus $10 shipping.

I am so bad I already ordered the Ergo as well as a Rebozo that was fairly inexpensive (I know I don't need the Rebozo, but I thought maybe it would be easier to use than those darned rings on my Maya Wrap!) So I plan to test the Ergo out and see how it goes. The Wilkinet sounds like a better alternative than the Baby Bjorn, so for our next baby I will definately consider it.

Thanks again and by the way where are you located? I would love to attend a baby wearing workshop. I have this love hate relationship with my MayaWrap and can't decide it I should keep it, make it into a pouch, or resell it!

Thanks so much again for all your help,

uccomama
06-01-2003, 08:48 PM
The same city as the Fields, Boulder, CO!

Deborah

csa12
06-01-2003, 08:59 PM
Shoot! CO is a bit far from where I am located for a daytrip (NC) :)
Thanks again!

liya
06-01-2003, 11:43 PM
omg, im sorry to intrude in this conversation but since i see your the sling gooroo here goes my question...I hate all the carriers in the world....no not really just the ones like the bjorn...who ever said that was an excellent carrier was INSANE....my back is totally distroyed and i hate, dread and despise carrying him in those things, so does my son...My husband is more patient and he likes the bjorn...but hes sooo thin plus he says he likes it but its really killing his back also...If you can please give me some advice on a carrier that can be confortable for baby as well as my back...I was reading the post but i looked at the ergo and the idea of having a baby on my back isnt appealing, the wilkinet looks appealing but it looks alot like the bjorn and others except for not having the circle in the middle and a strap added to the back...I dont know Im sooooo confused i need help big time..Plus i live in extremely hot climate so i need something thatll breath and thatll let me breath..OMG im rambling so ill just stop:7 ..Please help me i would owe you big time...

thanks in advance
linda

Calmegja
06-02-2003, 07:09 AM
Not Deborah, just a disciple, but I've got a few ideas....

If you don't like the idea of a back carry, then a pouch style sling may be just what you need. Tanya at Kangaroo Korner is coming out with a stretchy cotton adjustable pouch, just like the fleece, but opbviously, in a more breathable fabric. The fleece pouch design is top notch, and my favorite of all time, so I cannot imagine how cool the cotton pouch will be. They should be in stock by the end of June. A pouch is adjustable, and easy to use, and lets you use a variety of positions. For really hot weather, as well, KK has Solarveil slings. I have one with a very lightly padded shoulder, and it is breathable for baby, offers sun protection for baby, and is completely adjustable. I had mine made for the beach and pool, and it is exactly what I wanted. many sling manufacturers also make mesh slings, and those are also breathable as well...

Taylor Made Treasures also has an cotton sling that is designed really well, and again, is in a soft breathable fabric.

Hope that helps a little, to give you a jumping off spot for your search. I'm sure Debporah will have more to add, but those are what popped into my head first....

uccomama
06-02-2003, 07:58 AM
It sounds like you may have been wearing your slings too low. When you put your baby in one do you make sure you are carrying him at or above waist level? If you don't it is going to put a great deal of strain on your back and shoulders after a while.

It would help to know which slings and carriers besides the Baby Bjorn you have tried and in which positions you have worn them, then I can come up with some suggestions. Also how much do you use your sling and for what purposes? I see from your sig line your DS is around 3 1/2 months old. How much does he weigh? How is his head control?

I have to agree with Calmegja a simple adjustable pouch sling might work for you. But you must be sure you are wearing it high enough. Once you get your baby in the right position most any sling should be comfortable and her others suggestions of a solarveil sling from Kangaroo Korner or one of TaylorMade Treasures cotton mesh slings are also great suggestions.

If you don't mind giving more info hopefully we can work this out for you.

Deborah

liya
06-02-2003, 11:10 PM
Ok mainly its just been carriers, since when he was born hes always hated being in a sling(you know in the little pouch) he soooo extremely shall i say nosy(lol) he wants to see all the action so he got mad when i put him in the sling( it was a home made one though )...carriers..well hes gone through all of them and he seems to fall asleep in those since he can see around and stuff but they hurt my back tooooo much...His head control is excellent and he weighs 14 pds and is 24.5 inches long...i also hate the way they just hang in the carriers..it looks sooo bad for them....TIA for all the help....:)

uccomama
06-03-2003, 08:15 AM
Many, many babies, including newborns, hate being carried in the cradle position in the sling, Did you try the tummy to tummy position in your sling? At his age now, you could try him in the sling in the kangaroo position, this is where the baby sits in the sling facing out with his legs folded in front of him tailor style. You need to make sure the sling is adjusted at or above waist level, and the front rail (if you have a ring sling) is adjusted snugly. Then move! Try going for a walk to see if he will settle in the sling. It does take some babies a while to get used to being in a sling.

You don't say what style of sling you made, was it a pouch or a ring sling - padded or unpadded? This would be helpful to know.

Here are a couple of links for the various ways to carry your baby:

http://www.kangarookorner.com (click on the menu on the left and you will get a list of the various types of slings and the wearing instructions for each one)

http://www.mayawrap.com/video/videomw.shtml (here are the video instructions for the Maya Wrap unpadded sling which will work for other slings too!)

Do you want to buy a new sling? If the suggestions in the above post are great. Please keep asking questions, so that we can help you get this sorted out!

Deborah

liya
06-03-2003, 04:08 PM
Ok i made an unpaded ring sling...I tried what you said and zippo he hates it....but he loves being in those carriers with my husband i just hate the way they carry a baby and they all just have a party with my back....i would be inclined to buy anything at this moment that helps me carry my baby around.... and helps me be able to have my hands FREE....lol But the ergo thing doesnt appeal to my husband he says its very important for him to be able to see his son while hes carrying him...lol they look soooo cute together i would hate to ruin that..Plus carryin Arian in my back is a scary thought....

uccomama
06-03-2003, 04:38 PM
I really, really loved my Didymos sling when my DS was little. I carried him in the cross carry with two free hands, but that is facing in towards me. I really don't like how carriers like the Baby Bjorn and Trekker hold a baby in the facing out position.

So I would recommend you consider a one of these slings:

Ultimate Baby Wrap (some don't like it with a older, heavier baby, but you won't have to worry about that yet). The Hug-a-Bub, a Didymos/Girasol or an EllaRoo.

Four of them can be found at http://www.peppermint.com and the Hug-a-Bub is at http://www.hug-a-bub.com.au/

Once you get used to it, carrying a baby on your back is actually very secure and easy btw!

Deborah

liya
06-03-2003, 09:56 PM
thanks deborah ill check and see......ill tell you how it goes