PDA

View Full Version : If you had to pick one sling/carrier which one for extended use?

toomanystrollers
06-01-2003, 11:12 AM
Good morning everyone,
I've checked the archives but I think some current opinions would help me. I'm looking for a sling/carrier for baby #3. This time I'm going to need help keeping my hands free!

I already have a Bjorn which hurts my back. I had a Nojo sling which I could never wear comfortably. I'm looking to find something to wear a couple of hours at a time without killing my back. I also have a Kelty backpack which honestly I think was a total waste of $.

I'm leaning towards the slings offered at www.peppermint.com or possibly a Wilkinet.

Help!
-Pam

stillplayswithbarbies
06-01-2003, 11:29 AM
I couldn't pick just one. I love my Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch, but it is too hot to use it in the summer. She is coming out with an Adjustable Cotton Pouch, so that may be a good year-round sling. But as of now, I use the Adjustable Fleece Pouch if it is cool out and an unpadded ring sling or a New Native Baby Carrier if it is hot out.

http://www.kangarookorner.com is where I got the pouch. It is especially good for a newborn.

For breastfeeding, I like an unpadded ring sling. I have one I got on eBay, but I think I got lucky that it is a good design and well made. I have heard bad things about some of the generic ones.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

ginalc
06-01-2003, 12:34 PM
I adjusted my Nojo by taking it apart where the batting meets the rings. I think I took at least 6 inches of the batting out and sewed it back up. Very easy to do, and it made the sling work MUCH better for me. If you still have the Nojo, it's worth a try!

If I were to buy a carrier and I were in your position, I would go with the Ergo. The Wilkinet has very long strips of material that wrap around your body to adjust. That may or may not annoy you, but it's something to consider. The Wilkinet won't be as easy to take on and off OR get baby in and out of there quickly if need be. The Ergo has those types of buckles used on backpacks and strollers for easy, quick release and getting baby adjusted easily.

I found a really easy sling pattern on line and have made several as gifts. I will search to see if I can find it if you're interested.

I currently use a variety of different slings but only 1 carrier, the Baby Trekker. I've had really good luck with this and LOVE the way it distributes weight evenly over my body. I use mine every day. The Ergo will work in much the same way but offers shorter straps, less bulk, and easy on and off.

Good luck in your decision! :)

gina, mom to 3

toomanystrollers
06-01-2003, 12:46 PM
Somehow I think I'll be adding "toomanyslings" as a username!
-Pam

uccomama
06-01-2003, 08:40 PM
The Wilkinet is actually a very easy sling to get on and off, the ties are no hassle whatsoever. The Wilkinet is very easy to adjust with the ties and they are nicer than buckles IMO. The Ergo won't work for a newborn. it is only recommend when the baby can sit unaided, but personally i think it would be fine for a baby that has good neck control, but definitely not for a newborn. however the Wilkinet is a wonderful front carrier for a newborn. It holds them in an anatomically correct position and very snugly against your body. It works beautifully with small babies; I have used one with all three of my children with weight ranges from 6lbs 6oz to around 30lbs. It is very adjustable, so much so that my then 9 year old was able to carry her newborn brother in it while I took a shower!

If however you want to go only with one carrier, would also recommend a wrap around sling like the Didymos for a truly versatile carrier. Other than that a lightly padded sling or an adjustable pouch would probably do very nicely until they got big enough and old enough to be carried on your back, then you have the choice of an Ergo, a Baby Back-tie and a Packababy! If you got the Didymos, in the first place, however, you could use it on your back too!

Deborah

parkersmama
06-02-2003, 03:26 PM
Another vote for the KK fleece pouch. I can't express how much I prefer the pouch style slings over the ring style ones. They are so much simpler to use and despite the fleece being hot, it's still not as hot to me as the padded slings (such as the Nojo or the OTSBH). I have also just ordered a sling from www.hotslings.com Kristen at Hotslings is a dream to work with as is Tanya at Kangaroo Korner. The hotslings pouches do not have the snaps (which is the adjustable part of the KK ones). I've used the traditional ring-type slings and the Baby Bjorn and didn't care much for either one. Like you, the Bjorn killed my back after only 15 minutes or so. I thought the OTSBH was too hot and too complicated! Good luck choosing...it's hard to pick just one!

toomanystrollers
06-02-2003, 05:28 PM
Thanks for the info everyone,
I ordered a KK fleece pouch today - before they close down for vacation. If I find it too toasty, I'll probably shop at hotslings.com next - how can you go wrong with her prices!

4 weeks & 2 days left till #3 - I'd prefer about two more weeks!

Thanks again,
Pam