PDA

View Full Version : If you could have any stroller to take on a trail, what would it be?

mharling
06-02-2003, 12:16 AM
My birthday is coming up and I have convinced dh that our mall/neighborhood walk stroller is not suitable to take on the bike/walking trail near our house. So, he has agreed to buy me (and ds, of course!) a new stroller. It will primarily be used on the trail (mostly paved with some rough/gravelly spots, small hills and lots of curves), but I would also use it for visits to my parents farm. I don't need a true jogger stroller; just something to handle a variety of terrains.

Dh's stipulation was 'as long as it doesn't cost more than the car'. Woo hoo!!! I feel like I have won the lottery. So, what would YOU pick?????

Mary
Mommy to Lane Michael 4/6/03
http://www.shutterfly.com/osi.jsp?i=67b0de21b33928e40550

Calmegja
06-02-2003, 07:00 AM
Since so many people are going to say this anyway, I'll break the ice and say it first....

Either a Mountain Buggy Urban or a Mountain Buggy Terrain. You cannot go wrong with either, and they push like you wouldn't believe.....

http://www.mountainbuggy.com

egoldber
06-02-2003, 08:38 AM
For usage similar to what you described, I went with the Instep Safari. I really like this stroller and it was only $125. For what I use it for, I just couldn't justify the price of a Mountain Buggy to myself. I have been very happy with the Safari. The one caveat I would have is that the straps are somewhat long, and I would say that is not suitable for a newborn. But once a child was sitting well, it would be fine.

You certainly can't go wrong with a Mountain Buggy.

HTH,

Blue Jeans Mama
06-02-2003, 08:39 AM
Well You asked what would "I" take LOL

I would take my KIWI Explorer single. I love the way my 15 months old fits in it. And I also like the harness straps they keep my little guy in place even when going on rough terrain. I can have the front wheel swivel or fix depends on the terrain. I use it for poer walking on not friendly sidewalks.

That's what I would take.

Cathy

stillplayswithbarbies
06-02-2003, 11:48 AM
"lots of curves" tells me that my Bertini Sport would handle it well, yes?

http://www.bertinistrollers.com/bertinisport.htm

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

ginalc
06-02-2003, 11:50 AM
I've seen the Instep Safari at Baby Depot for $129. My GF really liked my Instep jogger (fixed front wheel) and we went to go look at the Safari in the store. She pinched her finger HARD while folding it and didn't buy it. I didn't have any trouble folding it, but you may want to try it out IRL before buying.

If not transporting it often, folding and weight may not be an issue. If you really like it and you're transporting frequently, fold WILL be an issue and the MB folds easily.

But I'll warn you, once you've gotten used to pushing a MB or stroller with bigger wheels like the Safari, you may want to give your mall stroller the boot! :)

gina, mom to 3

ginalc
06-02-2003, 11:54 AM
Have you looked at www.joggingstroller.com ? They have great information in the How To Choose feature that I found helpful.

August Mom
06-02-2003, 12:26 PM
I have an InSTEP Safari TT and find that it folds very easily. And, it has little handles on either side that make it easy to load it into the car. I've never pinched myself folding it. I also think that it handles really well on uneven pavement and unpaved trails. If money is no object, I'm sure a Mountain Buggy would be great, but it was out of my price range.

stella
06-02-2003, 01:16 PM
I'm with calmegja!! Personally I'd go for the Urban, but that's because of the curves you mention. I have a double urban and it would be perfect for the conditions you describe.

Lucky you, birthday girl!!

hardysmom
06-02-2003, 01:40 PM
For the trails you mention, the hybrid Mountain Buggy Urban, Kiwi, and Safari mentioned would be OK, though if you are not going into stores, a fixed wheel would be easier to deal with. Throw in the farm and you really NEED something with a fixed wheel. Of the swivel wheel singles, the MB Urban is the best IMO, though the new Kiwi E3 may be catching up. All of the wheels CAN be fixed, but the weight is distributed differently than in a fixed wheel stroller so a fixed swivel-wheel can be REALLY hard to maneuver. The front wheel doesn't pop up easily. Fixed wheel strollers also have hand brakes, which might be helpful on the hills. I speak from experience on this one...

My in-laws ranch in West Texas and my mom runs a horse stable. I assume you will need something which can handle walking across gravel, cross a grassy, uneven field or pasture, OK in a barn/stable, OK in muddy spots, etc... Initially, I wanted a MB Urban or a Kiwi, but I am so happy a group of friends on this Board talked me into reconsidering my choice.

I have two all-terrains I like and use frequently-- a Teutonia Y2K and an Emmaljunga Husky.

If money is not an issue, get a Teutonia. They are the best you can buy. I call my Y2K my son's Hummer. It is heavy, but incredibly well built, easy to push, plush and has every whistle-and-bell you could imagine (even blinking reflectors for night walks). I use it on the ranch, which is a very rugged environment, with no problems. In the city, it is a huge head turner. The envy of the neighborhood. It is our everyday walking stroller and a joy to own. I mostly use it on the bike trails around my house, but have also taken it to the mall, city shopping, festivals, zoo, etc.. Teutonias can be seen at www.heritagebaby.net and www.britaxusa.com.

On the less expensive side of the stable is my Emma Husky. They can be found on Ebay or SWAP for around $100-$150. The distributor pulled out of the US in 2001 so the prices really fell. Still, they are among the best-built, beautiful strollers out there. Many, if not most, of the stroller "gurus" here and on the Parents Place Board have owned one an Emmaljunga at one time or another. I have NEVER heard a single negative experience. I leave mine at my mom's farm. When we have #2 I will attach a toddler seat to it and continue to use it as a double. They are not as rugged as the Y2K or MB Terrain, but a great walking stroller and good on farm roads, grass, slush, etc..

In the middle of the high-end price continuum, I'd look at the Mountain Buggy Terrain. The are fantastic all-around strollers. Lots of reviews on this board if you do a search. Fairly light (20 lbs), rugged, high weight limit... Awesome piece of equipment. Can't go wrong with a Mountain Buggy.

Hope this helps. Stephanie

hipmaman
06-02-2003, 08:32 PM
I agree with Stephanie on the fixed wheel! I'll toss another fixed wheel stroller into the mix -- Emmaljunga EC Sport. If you happen to find one gently-used, it is similar to the Emmaljunga Husky. It has less of a recline (not flat), but bigger and air tires. Great for walking outdoor and rough terrains.

Any prams with fix-wheels will do great too, but they don't fold as small. But the added bonus is that the seat is reversible so baby can face you or the world.

Just to make matter more confusing ;)

stella
06-02-2003, 08:52 PM
We are in San Angelo and dh's family ranch is 45 minutes away near Mertzon. ANd where do you live? Do you feel like you are at the ends of the earth when you're out here? I do every day - but after 6 years, it's growing on me!

hardysmom
06-02-2003, 09:44 PM
Holy Moly! OK, small, small world. The ranch is about 10 minutes south of Mertzon. I just left San Angelo last week. Love Eggemeyers (sp?).

Every now and then we talk about moving down and I suppose we will need to eventually. If you don't mind me asking how (and from where) did you end up there? I get worried a bit thinking about it. I always want to go into town to get to know San Angelo better when we are down, but it is tough with the in-laws, ya know?

I grew up in Oklahoma City, but we are living in Tulsa where my husband (an Aggie, of course) works in the 'bidness.

Please email me at [email protected]. I would love to hear more!! I can't believe there is a MB Urban in San Angelo.

Stephanie