PDA

View Full Version : Uccomama - re: Hot Slings

Piglet
06-04-2003, 09:16 AM
I have been following your discussions about slings and carriers and wanted to ask a question myself...

I followed one of the links you gave Pamela for Hot Slings and I really like their materials and prices. Are they good slings in terms of hip carrying a 30 lb 22 month old? I want something small enough that it will fit in the diaper bag or in my stroller basket (not huge) when not in use.

I also can't decide what the benefits/drawbacks are to padded rails. I know what the front rail is used for and what the back rail is used for, but are they necessary? Would you get padded rails if this is your one and only sling (i.e. - might be used for a baby one day). I have a front carrier that I really like and used it a lot for my son, so I like carrying him, I just don't have any sling experience, other than trying out a friend's (very bulky) OTSBH .

Any thoughts would be appreciated - btw, I don't want to spend too much, since I just bought yet another stroller, LOL!

Thank you so much for your insight!

Marina

egoldber
06-04-2003, 09:31 AM
Not uccomama, but I have a sling very similar to this that I made myself. I use it all the time for hip carrying my 25 pound 21 month old. It takes a bit of practice, but I love it for its ease of use and the fact that I can carry it anywhere.

I would e-mail the owner and talk about sizing. For a non-adjustable sling, sizing is very critical. It needs to fit properly.

HTH,

Karenn
06-04-2003, 10:30 AM
Also not Uccomama :) but I have a Hot Sling, and for $15, I love it. I use it to hip carry my 18lbs DS. IMO, it's the perfect sling for someone who has other carriers and strollers and isn't going to have their baby in a sling all the time. It works well, but you don't spend a fortune on it. I looked at the Hip Hammock and WRF, and in retrospect, I would have felt badly spending so much money on a carrier for how little I use it. I don't use it that often, but there are times when a sling is the perfect carrier and I'm glad to have one. Also, I'm even able to keep it in my purse!

HTH,

uccomama
06-04-2003, 11:24 AM
Hotslings are awesome for the money, and yes, they fold up small enough for a diaper bag, actually they would fit into a pocket. For the money you can't loose.

I use mine with a 27 lb 3 year old in the hip carry and it is great. A few tips on wearing it comfortably, make sure the shoulder area of the sling is way over the ball of your shoulder and the fabric is spread out, also as was pointed out, as it is a non-adjustable sling, you must make sure you have the right size. You will want your toddler to be at or above your waist, otherwise it will strain your shoulder and back.

As for padded vs unpadded rails. In the hip carry position, an unpadded sling like the Hotsling can dig into chubby legs causing red marks, and some discomfort to the baby. Padded rails also make nursing in a sling easier. Given this will be your only sling and it sounds like you have well padded baby, I would probably get the padded rails. But this will make your sling more bulky, but I am sure it would still fit in a diaper bag or a stroller basket no problem.

Deborah

Miiki
06-04-2003, 11:37 AM
Hi all-

I thought I would throw in my few cents here. I discovered what I consider to be the best slings and have used them all. I have a "sling thing"! My friends followed my lead and they too agree that these slings rock!

Best 3 slings:

I have a 22 mos daughter-
Since day one, I carried her in a sling.
She is less sling happy now as she prefers, of course, to walk. Still, she loves the sling when she is feeling tired though.
For newborn and this one can be hands free:
http://www.rosadosling.com/
It's my favorite! They have cool patterns and colors. Tailored to individual sizes.

For ease of hands after 6-7 months when their head can be held up without support:
http://www.hiphammock.com/
Men like this one a lot. Good too, for taller women.

Same as above but I think it is better for the older child. Need to use arm to support.
http://www.thehiphugger.com/

I still use my rosadosling. It is the coziest.

The hip hugger I always carry with me. Just in case she needs a snuggle etc. It is compact. My smaller friends liked this one.

Hope this helps!
Was looking for Hot Slings online to check it out. Can you post the URL?
Thanks
Miiki

Miiki
06-04-2003, 11:39 AM
I forgot to mention.
My daughter is now 23 lbs- so still smaller than your kids.
All three of the slings will support up to 45 lbs I believe.
All are easy to use.

Miiki

Karenn
06-04-2003, 12:19 PM
[www.hotslings.com]

Miiki
06-04-2003, 07:03 PM
Thanks!

Pretty obvious- don't know why I didn't think of just typing in the URL.

I had the Native baby sling [no rings] but it didn't work for us. Too much fabric [like the Maya] and couldn't get a good size.

However, I think Kristen's slings seem much more streamlined that those. A better design and hey! for 15 ya can't go wrong.
Going to add this one to my sling collection. I need a 5th to round it out! ;-)

Ciao
Miiki