PDA

View Full Version : Attn: Zen & other bag mavens

nohomama
06-04-2003, 01:15 PM
I think I'm going to order a Timbuk2 messanger bag. I've wanted one for sometime but Zen's post highlighting the "build your own" option with the funky patterns put me over the edge. I'm looking for some advise though. One of the reasons I never followed through on buying one of these bags before is the lack of pockets. I may just end up ordering the Mommy's Helper Everything But the Bag

http://www.babystyle.com/common/dProductFrame.asp?DepartmentID=36&CategoryID=26&SubCategoryID=128&ClassID=303

but was wondering if any of you had any better suggestions of something that would help me organize this bag for use as a diaper bag.

Also, I'm uncertain wether I should get the small or medium sized bag. I'm leaning towards the medium but was interested in hearing others opinions. I currently use a Combi Urban Sling but the construction of the Timbuk2 bag is different and makes size comparison difficult. I tend to be a minimalist in terms of what I carry in my diaper bag...3 disposable diapers (always), 1-2 cloth diapers + an extra cover (occassionally), a Huggies travel wipes container, 1-2 ziplock bags, small tube of calendula cream, sunscreen (in the summer), a pacifier, a sippy cup and snack (not always, depends on how long we're going to be out and where we're going), and my wallet, keys, and sunglasses.

Tell me what you guys think.

Debtex
06-04-2003, 02:38 PM
I have a Timbuk2, and I would recommend you get the medium-sized one. The small one is really too small for all that stuff (plus any of your stuff that needs to go in it too). I carry the medium-sized one (I think it's called the El Cholo, right?) and love it. I wear it every day, and would feel naked without it at this stage!

There is a front pocket that's good primarily for small papers - I don't use it much. The inside front has a few pockets good for pens, wallet, keys, cell phone, etc. There's a long strap with a detachable keyring attached at the top front of the bag, which is great for being able to get your keys easily (just stick your hand in, fish for the strap where it starts, and out they pop.) You could definitely stick sunscreen and calendula in some of those pockets.

The largest of them closes with velcro, that's where I usually keep my wallet if I don't have it in the little strap bag (that's an add-on feature I recommend...your wallet's always at the ready and totally impossible to steal without someone literally feeling you up!) I also got the divider in mine, which is great, but it opens up to the bottom of the bag, so it's not like you could stick dirties in there without wrapping them up. The divider is set fairly close to the back of the bag, so it's a great place to stick flat stuff.

I got the wet bag and the changing pad from www.happytushies.com to make my Timbuk2 a baby bag. Basically, I'll stick the changing pad and spare diapers in the back (behind the divider) and all the other things in the front of the divider. The wet bag will live in the divider as an extra barrier.

I also got a strap pad, because I wear it so often. I don't know whether I'd know the difference, but sometimes I do carry a lot of stuff in there (groceries, for example) and it's nice to have a little extra padding.

Deb

PS - did you see the new commuter bags? So great! I think I may have to get ANOTHER one when I get back to the States!

egoldber
06-04-2003, 03:19 PM
DH has a large Timbuk2 bag that he uses for work. The medium will be a large-ish bag, but is probably a better bet than the small. The Babystyle set is pretty complete. You could probably find similar items that do the same thing if you wanted to hunt around. But that gives you everything in one neat package.

My thing is that I don't like huge, thick diaper changing pads. Maybe when DD was an infant, but not anymore. I use the one from the US because it is thin and very compact.

HTH,

zen_bliss
06-04-2003, 06:23 PM
another vote for medium. you rarely regret having extra space. i thought about everything but the bag at first, then i realized i probably wouldn't use a few of the items and decided the $$ were better spent toward the happiness that custom happytushies stuff brings. fumbling through 3 plain black pouches in a big bag is a drag, but it's hard to not get a bright print on the first try.

which print/color scheme are you getting?

also, i think it wouldn't hurt to strike up an email correspondence with them if there is anything you *wish* for -- you never know, they might be able to put in an extra divider or pocket for you since it is all custom anyway. and it will help if they start getting a lot of emails from people who use the timbuk2s as diaper bags, perhaps they will soon design something for parents! the commuter bag is a recent development (i think just in the last year or so) so it is not implausible that they would do it!

sbaker
06-04-2003, 10:37 PM
Do the Timbuk2 bags stand up on their own?

Just my two cents...
:) :+ :)
Sara
SAHM to Rayce
02/09/02

Debtex
06-05-2003, 05:10 AM
They have a fairly broad, well-defined bottom, but they do tend to lean over when you put it down. It's never been a problem for me, since it's not that tall - it takes up the same amount of space on the floor sitting up as leaned over. And nothing would tumble out, it's all closed up.

I don't put it down that much, except in cafes. In public transport I usually just pull it from behind me to lie on my lap (the beauty of a messenger bag.)

Deb

Debtex
06-05-2003, 05:13 AM
Oh, and I love the happytushies stuff I got...it's bright, well made, washable, and compact. And soft...his tushie will definitely be happy with them!

Deb

sbaker
06-05-2003, 04:05 PM
Thanks for the info. I've just splurged and ordered the Sweet Pea Commuter bag in plum/stone/plum from worldtraveler.com. It has a padded back, so I'm thinking it will stand up pretty well.

Just my two cents...
Sara
SAHM to Rayce
02/09/02

nohomama
06-06-2003, 01:32 PM
Well, I called and spoke to a customer service rep at Timbuk2 today and no dice on getting a divider added to one of the graphic messanger bags. I did express interest in them coming out with a diaper bag and the rep said that he would pass that on to the designers. When I have a chance I'll email them with the same suggestion. Persistance can never hurt and I think a message with an actual name attatched to it holds more weight.

In the meantime, I'm still not certain what I'm going to do. If I go with the graphic bag, I can get a medium sized bag in tea green with the center panel in the fabulous "aloha" print with an extra strap pouch for $120. If I go with the commuter bag, I can get the same size in the color(s) of my choice with an added divider and a strap pouch for $90. Clearly it's an esthetic decision. Do I want the more funky but less functional option, or visa versa? Who knows? I hate decisions like this.

egoldber
06-06-2003, 01:49 PM
Do you mean a commuter bag or a classic messenger bag? The starting price on the commuter bag seems to be $100 on the website.

I think that the color choices for the regular messenger are really great. Although not, I agree, as stunning as the aloha and tea green. :)

nohomama
06-06-2003, 02:21 PM
Beth,

Yes, I meant the classic messanger bag. I've been staring at the Timbuk2 website for too long today and all the options are just a jumble in my brain.

egoldber
06-06-2003, 02:24 PM
LOL!!! I have designed about 30 bags on that site. I was wondering if there was an option that I had missed!! :)

sbaker
06-06-2003, 08:52 PM
You might want to check out www.worldtraveler.com. They have the Commuter bag in different sizes and a lot more color options than the Timbuk2 website. The small one like I just ordered is $84. If you use coupon code 502511 you can get another 10% off.

Just my two cents...
Sara
SAHM to Rayce
02/09/02

nohomama
06-07-2003, 07:49 AM
Your right. If you want the Commuter bag that site does have a lot more color combinations to choose from. But if any one is interested in either the Classic or Graphic messanger bags you can "build your own bag" on the Timbuk2 site. You can customize your bag by choosing from the entire palatte of colors they have available (choosing the same or different colors for the left, center, and right panels) as well as from and array of options like a divder panel in the main compartment (not available on the Graphic bag) to a strap pouch on the strap.