PDA

View Full Version : Sling advice?

KathyO
06-05-2003, 07:43 PM
I've been keeping tabs on all the chat about popular slings and their various ups and downs, and have a question for you sling-experts.

I'm thinking about a sling for baby #2, for use right from birth; it doesn't have to go right up to toddlerhood - for that I have a BabyTrekker I was very happy with first time around. My main interest is that the sling should secure to my body (if possible) such that whenever I bend over a bit, it doesn't sway forward and get between me and whatever it is I'm bending over (most likely my toddler). Of course, it'd be desirable if it was also constructed so the baby stayed in and didn't tumble out when I do this! Baby #2 is scheduled to arrive at the beginning of winter, so overheating won't be an issue. On the other hand, if I could adjust it easily to fit over a winter coat (like when we're in the grocery store) that might be nice... but not essential.

Recommendations, O sling gurus? Many thanks for your help on this!

Cheers,

KathyO

Miiki
06-05-2003, 08:12 PM
Hi!

I'm a big fan of the Rosado Sling.
wwwrosadosling.com

It is the ring & padded rail type BUT! the rail is minimal, the fit is divine and the fabric selection good.
My babe hung out in her sling all the time when she was under 1. After she began walking, we have tended to use it less but still a few times a week.

When she was young- 4 1/2 months, she easily slept in it during holiday parties. Indiscreet nursing. There was no comparison between our dd and other little ones who had the Bjorn.

This sling is an extension of the womb environment. Very nurturing and stable.
My child always felt secure in this sling. I had no worries of her popping out or slipping down.
Highly recommended!

Miiki

stillplayswithbarbies
06-05-2003, 08:58 PM
I like the Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch. Mine was tight enough that when she is in the tummy to tummy position, she does not swing forward when I lean over, or at least she didn't when she was a newborn. She would only tolerate that position if she was already asleep when I put her in and now that she is older she wants to face out, not in.

It sounds like you need one of the types that ties around you and the baby, but I have no experience with those.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

uccomama
06-05-2003, 09:21 PM
Wilkinet! http://www.wilkinet.com

It is an upright carrier though, but it mimicks the wrap around carriers so holds the baby nice and close. You can bend forward in it without any worries! If you want a sling per se, then I would recommend the Kangaroo Korner Adjustable Fleece Pouch.

If you are not intimidated by the real wrap around slings, and they are really not hard to use once you get used to them -- all of a couple of tries! They you might like to consider, the Ulitmate Baby Wrap, the Hug-a-Bub or a Didymos or Girasol.

Deborah