PDA

View Full Version : Too young for a jogging stroller? What's the alternative?

dueinmay
06-06-2003, 07:50 AM
DD is 3 wks old. Right now I do not own any kind of stroller! I am now ready to shop . . .

Here's my quandry: in another 3-4 wks, when my OB permits, I'm looking forward to taking her on a nice long walk in our neighborhood every day. The walk will be mostly on pavement, in the suburbs, though hills and some occasional rough surfaces will be involved. Had thought a jogging stroller would be perfect (also hope to use for actual jogging, not walking, in another few months, and DH will also). I know some joggers say they can accomodate babies 6 wks and older. However, isn't the recommendation no jogging with baby until at least 6 mths, though the Fields' say better to wait longer. Does this also apply to walking w/ baby, in jogging stroller? At 6 wks will I need a full recline option? I know some jogging strollers have a full recline, but these are the super $$ ones, right? Not in the market for anything over $200 (and would like to pay less!). But, maybe on Ebay . . .

Anyway, follow-on question is, what is my best option for these long walks over the next few months? Can I use a jogger at 6 wks to walk? Which one? Or do I need to buy smg else for the intervening time? An "all terrain" type? Hate to have to buy another 'outdoor' stroller (if later getting the jogger) . . . Could I get a more versatile "regular" stroller (thinking Pliko, or Combi, for example), or would it be uncomfortable for DD for long walks?

Rebecca

It's a girl!

Momof3Labs
06-06-2003, 08:44 AM
You really need a stroller with a full recline, or a bassinet option, to walk with a newborn. A jogging stroller is fine as long as it has one of those (you can add a blanket or snuggler to make it cozier for her).

One Step Ahead (www.onestepahead.com) had an interesting stroller with a bassinet option, and I don't think that it broke the bank - maybe take a peek at that one.

A Pliko would be fine for sidewalk walking but not the rough surfaces.

Also look for a stroller with a full sunshade - some only have a wimpy hood, and your baby will need lots of sun protection.

cilantromapuche
06-06-2003, 12:47 PM
I didn't have too much money and was in the same boat as you are. I went with a Graco Liesuresport jogging stroller that fits the snugride. It works for us and was $189.99 from babyage.com (with $3.95 shipping) and that included the snugride car seat and base. It works great and was easy to put together.
I hope that helps