PDA

View Full Version : double stroller in NYC

selah524
06-06-2003, 10:37 PM
My children are 2 years old (boy) and 7 months (girl)( 20 months apart ). I live in the city and for awhile have gotten by with a Baby Bjorn or Maya Sling and a Maclaren Vogue 2001. However as my daughter gets bigger the carrier/sling option is no longer fun. I loved carrying my son and did so until he was well over a year old. I just don't seem to have that luxury with 2 children in the big City. My 2 year old son is at the age where he loves to run/walk until he tires and then he either wants you to pick him up or offer him a well cushioned seat. Carrying my daughter is cool when its just the 2 of us but when I have both children all day - which I do 4 days of the week - it wears me out. I bought a buggy board which my son is not crazy about but deals with when desperate but I use it only for neighborhood walks. It is bulky in the storage position and I havent travelled on the subway with it. I guess I am really concerned about all this because with summer coming I don't want to feel trapped - I love the city and love enjoying it with my children.

Any mamas out there with any bright ideas? suggestions?

selah

I am vaguely toying with the idea of a double stroller for convenience sake and to save whats left of my back. Any ideas?

twinsmommy627
06-07-2003, 08:09 AM
By big city, I am assuming you live in NYC. I also live in NYC. I have twins so a double stroller was a neccesity for me. I started off with a Duo Glider since their car seats snapped in but at 31 lbs it just got too heavy. I now have a Peg Perego Twin Aria. It weighs 14 lbs, easy to fold, the basket is huge. The only drawback is that the sun shades are too small, but another sunshade draped over the top will work (I think I am going to get a Pepeny).

I seriously love this stroller. You might want to take both babies to BuyBuyBaby on 25th and 7th. They have many SBS (side by side) strollers there. I put my babies in all of them and pushed them around the store. The Maclarens were awful - they were all slumped over, no napper bar for toys or feet. I didn't like the Combi and the Graco SBS did not have a five point harness.

You can find the Aria Twin online for much cheaper than BBB or BRU. Ebay usually has a bunch of them on sale.

Do you know about NY Urban Baby? They have message boards and you can post to NYC moms about what they use. www.urbanbaby.com and then look for the NYC page and the message boards. You don't have to register - the boards are anonymous (and tend to get a little confrontational at times). Many moms post that they love the Aria.

Hope this has helped you. I am off to an exciting trip (ALONE!) to the grocery store!

twinsmommy627
06-08-2003, 10:08 AM
obviously I need my glasses for more than just driving now. Didn't even see that your post said NYC! Oops!

selah524
06-08-2003, 09:49 PM
thanks for your reply twinsmommy! I checked out the strollers at BuyBuyBaby and the selection was great.

The Maclarens were heavy and very difficult to lift the front of the stroller - I love the Maclaren handles but thats not enough to go spending $300.00.

The Combi was way too tiny and just looked plastic next to the Macs.

The Aria twin was light and the shocks on the back wheels made the ride smooth. My son said he liked this one but I did not love the colors it came in and felt that it too looked a little plastic like next to the Mac. But the strong points were very strong so she is definitely a contender.

Then we saw the double jogging strollers and my husband thought that they were so cool. He loved the ride and wheels and the non stroller look. They only carried the Instep line which I know nothing about so I have to do a bit of research. These strollers - although a dream to operate are on the heavy side so I don't know how practical it would be for me.

So.... although I am not in love, the Aria Twin seems to be the
practical option for my life in the city.

Thanks so much for your advice.

twinsmommy627
06-09-2003, 04:24 PM
The Aria comes in many other colors than what is at BBB. Check out the Peg website (US version). There is a black one, a blue and yellow one. I know what you mean about it looking plasticy, but unfortunately, a lot of them do. I do really love this stroller. It works great for me whenever I am in Manhattan. I got a Sassy Busy Bugs stroller bar and it keeps my babies entertained for hours!

If you consider a double jogger, you might want to look at one of the doubles with the front swivel wheel. Makes it easier to steer.

It's funny you mention the handles. I had to use the Chicco Caddy yesterday and I hated that it wasn't one handle all the way across like the Aria. I find I can steer very easily with one hand (with the Aria).