PDA

View Full Version : I thought I had my mind made up. A little more reassurance please!

Miiki
06-07-2003, 04:28 PM
Hey gals!

Well- I don't mind spending money for quality items- I just want to make sure I get the right thing. I have bugged you all a lot lately, done the research but man! It's hard to buy something as intimate as a stroller online. I don't have easy IRL access to the strollers I am intersted in.

What I like about the MB is the low handle to ground height. And it's shorter length.
The Yakima has a low handle height but is kind of long.
Others are longer also...
It needs to fit in a Volvo trunk with weekend gear.

Now- for the last time- REALLY!
Swivel or Fixed?
Will the 12 inch wheels be a hindrance?

I just registed to do a Sprint Triathlon in Sept and really need to train. I am by no means a "runner". I swim and bike okay but running is my weak point. I mostly jog-
I want to do the Sprint Triathlon just to do it- I just turned 42 and my dd is 22 months and I really want to be healthy and live a long time!;-) It is a "goal" thing ya know?

So- I need a jogger type stroller but I just can't make up my mind between fixed and swivel. Or if I should just bite the bullet and go fo 16 inch wheels and length.

What do you think? I have a Mac Techno XT and Volo so am covered in that area.
Need a jogger for pavement and beach.

Alan suggested Terrain, Michelle- the Urban. Brad said Yakima and Trevor recommended the DD b/c of the terrific canopy. I did however, call Joggingstroller.com before I read this site and began to think about the MB.

Thanks for bearing with me-
Miiki

PS If I ever did manage to become a "serious runner" then I wouldn't feel too badly about buying another jogger which would be more adequate for that level. :-)

Susann
06-07-2003, 06:02 PM
I personally think that if you run the wheel has to be fixed. I also think that if you run, you want bigger wheels. People who take jogging seriously usually choose at least 16" wheels.
All the fixed wheel strollers are longer than the ones with swivel wheels but a lot of them fold in half and you would easily fit them in the trunk of your car. I don't know how the Yakima folds but atleast both the Instep and the Baby Trends fold pretty small (not any bigger than the MB atleast).
Susann

ps. the Baby Jogger is very long when folded.

hipmaman
06-07-2003, 09:18 PM
Some thoughts then...

If you run with it, I would get fixed wheel for sure. As to whether to go w/ bigger wheels or 12" as in the MB, you might just go straight to at least 16" or even bigger. You said the beach and triathlon which spell fixed, big wheels to me.

I would rule the DD out. Simply because the 2002/2003 models are big, bulky and heavy, cool canopy or not. I like the 2001 model though.

If you are to get a true jogger, I like the BJ. For true runners, serious or not, the BJ is a delight. Light, streamlined but without compromise, compact enough, etc. The BJ III has reclined seat, big wheels upto 24", different canopy, etc.

I have a Volvo sedan and my 2000 DD single or a BJ II fit fine w/ wheels one (16" if bigger, I would have to pop them off, but they are quick release). I think I told you in one of the older posts that I have the MB double Terrain in the trunk w/ wheels on for quick trips around town. For longer trips and to fit other gears in the trunk, I take the wheels off.

If you are to go w/ an MB, I say the Terrain. You don't need an Urban w/ the Techno and Volo to cover indoor, travel and such. And the Terrain is better for the kind of use you described. Harder on the beach than a big-wheel jogger though, especially on the soft and loose sand.

The folding of the BJ is more cumbersome than the MB, but w/ practice, it isn't bad and similar to many joggers out there.

And I know next to nothing about the Yakima jogger, lol. So, can't say anything there.

Just my 2 cents and rambling.

Miiki
06-07-2003, 10:10 PM
Hey Tam-

You're a gem! Many thanks-
Verrrry Helpful!
I don' t drive so I can't travel to see joggers IRL.
I like to keep weekends for family stuff and does my man.
My DDH hates" Shopping" so with purchases such as this, I do it online.
He always respects my choices; trusts my judgement and would rather spend a weekend NOT shopping.
Hence- my myriad of ???'s
It is very difficult to buy stuff like this sight unseen.
Toaster ovens, bread machines etc- NO problem eh?
But a stroller.... not so easy.
Thanks again Tam!!!!

Miiki