PDA

View Full Version : zippy vs P3

friedmana1
06-08-2003, 03:40 AM
Okay, I know that I am going to be buying either a zippy or P3 (or less likely an Atlantico) in the next week. I have a couple of questions about zippy vs P3...

Can anyone tell me which one has the bigger basket?

And do I really need the child cup holder on the P3, or is the napper bar just as good? My little one is 7 months old - not using a sippy cup yet.

And how about the steering - which is better?

I know that the zippy's fold is better, but are there any other true differences?

Thanks!

Aimee

Mother to Leah 10/26/02

hardysmom
06-08-2003, 12:00 PM
Can't tell you about the P3 basket.. I haven't paid that close of attention, but the Zippy baskket is excellent.

I'm not getting your question about the cup holder v napper bar. Do you mean a child tray? None of my strollers have child trays and I have never missed them. My son is 18 mo and even if he has a tray, I promise he wouldn't put his cup there (keeps it in his lap) and would just throw snacks onto the floor. I do like having a napper bar in strollers which he stays in for longer spells.

Steering with a heavier toddler (DS is 30 lbs) is a little better with a Zippy, but not so much better as to really matter much. Zippy is also a bit better on rough terrain (grass, gravel, etc) but again, not by enough to really tip the scales.

Zippys stand-out feature is the fold. Plikos have the back step for an older toddler and a higher official weight limit. The Zippy's official weight limit is 35lbs, but I spoke to Inglesina and they said they thought it would be OK if a child was a bit heavier. Peg isn't as liability conscious as Inglesina. My son is in the 97% for height and 90% for weight. I don't worry about outgrowing it- lots of room.

People with long strides (height isn't the issue) or who hold the stroller close to themselves report kicking the Zippys larger wheels more than the Plikos. My 5'11" sister doesn't kick them, but I do at 5'5". Personally, it doesn't bother me much but drives some people crazy.

Besides that, they are extremely similar. Both are great strollers.

gssever
06-08-2003, 09:23 PM
I have had the regular pliko(definate love/hate relationship with it), sold it for a Zippy (overall good stroller), sold the zippy and went to the P3 Sportivo.

The Zippy was great compared to the regular pliko. The push was great, never attached the basket so I can't comment on it, seem to roll good over bumps and moderate roughness. As for the one hand fold, easy fold, but never really found it to be truely one hand. Still needed to balance with the other to get it to "snap" close. Other "negatives" about it were concerns over the weight limit and the harness. My daughter is a houdini type and gets out of almost all harnesses. I prefer the peg style of the harness, where I can get it really tight around her, but she can still move around a bit in the seat. If the P3 had not come out, I would still have the Zippy and would have found a different solution for the harness.

The P3 seems to be just ever slightly below the zippy on the bumps and such. I like the angled handles and the adjustable handles that the Zippy does not have. Harness is much better for my situation. The basket looks to be satisfactory. Similar in size to Zippy, maybe even slightly bigger? The push is about the same and the step on the back is a nice to have feature. This the first one that I have had with the child snack tray. I don't usally put a cup in it(15 month old, drink is more a toy to drop than a drink)but I like that I can throw a few cherrios in it and she likes to eat of it. I could see when she is older it could return to its original purpose. To me the fold is just as simple as the zippy, maybe because I had a previous pliko and was used to how it folds? I think that I like the hood better on the pliko, seems to be "more sturdy", like it is attached better or something. It also comes further down on the child when the seat is upright. So if it is raining when you come out of the store, you can pull the hood all the way down to the tray and it will be fairly dry for the child. I have the sportivo model which has a different material on the seat than the classico. Very happy that I got it. Had a overly wet diaper that leaked quite a bit, got her changed and put a lap pad in the seat to get back to car, once there took the pad off the seat was practically dry. You also get the rainshield with the sportivo model. It is very substantial compared to one in the zippy. However, it does not store in the hood like the zippy. Probably won't use it unless we are going somewhere that we would be outside for a signicant period of time, not just running into the mall.

Hopes this helps,
Stephanie

friedmana1
06-09-2003, 03:07 AM
Thanks so much! Looks like I will have to get to the store to try them both out...

Aimee

Mother to Leah 10/26/02