PDA

View Full Version : MBUS or new Kiwi e3

Kristen
06-08-2003, 06:19 AM
I cannot decide which stroller would be a better fit for my DD and I. She is almost 8 months, and I currently own a Peg Perego Pliko, which doesn't suit my needs. I am looking for a stroller that I can use on trails, in the mall, and to do some light jogging. I think both of these fit the bill, but I can't seem to find anyone who actually HAS the new Kiwi e3 to get any sort of gauge on how it compares against the MBUS (which everyone loves) Any thoughts or advice is welcome!

toomanystrollers
06-08-2003, 09:49 AM
Hi Kristin,
My kiwi E3 should be arriving from New Zealand in about 2 -3 weeks (I hope). The Kiwi E3's are not due to hit the U.S. retail outlets until August. I went w/the Kiwi b/c it can be used as a double or a single. I already own a Baby Jogger Twinner but I was looking for something more portable and compact.
If you have any questions about kiwis, ask "Kiwi Dad" at http://www.kiwi-kid.com

Good luck,
Pam

hardysmom
06-08-2003, 11:48 AM
When I hear "light jogging" I throw out that you may be happier with a fixed wheel model. For and true jogging, you'd want larger wheels than either the Kiwi or MB offer, ideally at least 16'. A fixed swivel wheel isn't the same as a true fixed wheel- the weight distribution is different, there can be some wiggle, blah, blah...

The swivel wheel all-terrains are hybrids, but their primary design is for urban use where you need to quickly maneuver. They are absolutely better on rougher terrain than a "normal" stroller, but not as good as a stroller designed for that purpose. The reverse is also true, a all-terrain like the MB Terrain, which has 12' inch fixed wheels, is engineered for rougher terrain, power walking, etc... but it is designed to work better in an urban environment than a traditional jogger which would have 16'+ inch wheels.

Just something to consider.

Stephanie

ginalc
06-20-2003, 12:37 PM
OK, I really need to get a new hobby. Went to playgroup today and all I did was fiddle with my GF's new Kiwi. If you've ordered a MB already, don't read any further!!!

The Kiwi is just too cute for words. The smallest area for seat width is 10 inches, but then it widens as it goes up, allowing for more head and shoulder room. The seat height is very high, much like the Maclarens. Nicer than I remember from playing with it the first time around.

The "click" that was happening before was fixed by taking the frame apart and hammering it in a few choice spots. My GF called the company and they told her how to fix the problem and it took about 30 minutes to solve. Now there is no click and it pushes as easily as the MB.

The Sun Canopy for both the single and double are awesome! My GFs stroller is black and red, the sun canopy is black mesh. It just looks so cute! It velcros at the foot plate to hold it in place.

It took me some time to figure out the Kiwi fold. It is easier with practice. The MB folds easier, but compared to my Pliko, the Kiwi is just as easy to master. The trick to the Kiwi fold is to use your palms to control the fall of the handle. Once you release the levers on either side of the seat, you must use your palms to steady the frame and allow a more controlled fold. Takes some practice, but once mastered, it's easy and safe. I believe the errors I made in folding were just that, user error and not knowing the stroller well.

When used as a double, there is hardly any storage at all, so I think the panier bags are a must.

If I had one child and needed a single with the potential to morph into a double, I think that I would order an E3. I, too, like the idea of single that has a future. If I had gotten a Kiwi the first time around, I never would have had to worry about a double.
Could have saved time and money --- and my sanity.

I think the Kiwi as a single is a good stroller. As a double, it is a good stroller for children spaced about 18 months apart or greater. The front seat has a weight limit of 50 lbs, the E3 rear seat has a limit of 28.66 lbs. (About the average weight for a one year old). The stroller total weight capacity is a suggested 70 lbs.

Have I confused you even more?

I think that both the MB and E3 are good strollers. If you don't have them side-by-side, you'd be very happy with either purchase. Really like the option of morphing into a double? Get the Kiwi E3.

gina, mom to 3

nohomama
06-20-2003, 01:22 PM
Gina,

What's the red like? Is it fire engine red, more orangey, or what? I'm planning on getting an E3 soon but am waffling on the color. My first choice would probably be the charcoal grey/black (despite the fact that I rue the day I ordered my limited edition Techno which has has faded to brown with a year and a half of use) but I know those are on back order. My second choice would be the Navy, but it looks more like royal blue in the pics which I'm not interested in. So I'm left with the red (not interested at all in the green) if I want to go for more immediate gratification. So...back to my question, what's the red like???

Also, it seems like they haven't come out with paniers specifically for the E3. Do you know if they have or not? I'm just wondering if the old style will match or if they'll look a little odd. If you don't know, I'll email Rodney and ask.

ginalc
06-20-2003, 01:47 PM
My GF and I both have red minivans. Mine is a Dodge Grand Caravan, hers is a Chrysler Town & Country. The red stroller seems to be in the same color category as both our minivans. Not too bold, just a good color to look at. My Navy MBUD looks kind of boring in comparison! :)

I don't know about the bags. My GF was going to order them soon and had the same questions.

I think you'll LOVE this stroller! It has really been hard for me to look at and compare these 2 strollers. I'm very happy with my MBUD but I miss the ease of steering when I just need a single stroller. I've come to the conclusion that there really is NO perfect stroller!

gina, mom to 3

hardysmom
06-20-2003, 01:47 PM
I think there was a small typo in Gina's FANTASTIC early description of the E3. I worried about the weight limit of the Kiwis second seat if it could only hold a 1 year old, so I checked out the growth charts...

The average BOY weighs about 23lbs at 1 year (girls are lighter) and will hit 28lbs (Kiwi's toddler seat limit) between 24-27 months. At his 18 month check-up, my DS weighed about 29lbs which put him in the 80th percentile.

So I suppose most people could count on getting at least 18 months use out of the second seat.

Just wanted to clarify so no one skipped getting a Kiwi thinking they couldn't use it long enough.

Stephanie

egoldber
06-20-2003, 02:04 PM
LOL! My Grand Caravan is that color too. It's officially called "inferno red"!

pamela mom of 3
06-20-2003, 03:44 PM
That's interesting on the back seat weight, my kiwi explorer was 30lbs for that seat{toddler bar/seat} and Rodney says it's 30lbs for the E3 on his site......have they lowered it?

Thanks
:)