PDA

View Full Version : Ergo vs. Baby Trekker vs. Packababy

redheads
06-08-2003, 02:49 PM
It was hard enough making a stoller decision, now this :-)!!

Anyhow, I have a 12 month old that is 24lbs and I need a carrier for chores and to do some outdoor walking. I want it to be able to carry a child in the hip and back positions (back so I can do chores and have hands free). Can anyone advice me on these? They are expensive so I don't want to buy multiples. And what about the baby's hips in these carriers? From the photos, the Trekker looks like their legs are "splayed" (got this word from Tanya at Kangaroo Korner)a lot. Preferably, I want a carrier that is easy to use (maybe a cotton sling from KK?) and I need to be able to do it myself.

Here are the specs:
-12 months old 24 lbs
-not breastfeeding
-last child (not need to use in the future for an infant)
-hip and back positions
-do it myself with easy in and out. He often "jumps" out of my arms to get to things but likewise returns to be held. Possibly a carrier that I can leave on while he is exploring

Feel free to recommend others. How about a Hotsling (tried making one and didn't do to well. It cut into baby's legs. Also, he seemed to feel confined, I think) and any KK slings/pouches?

Thank you all for all of your help!! Many of us really rely on this board to help make educated decisions.

uccomama
06-08-2003, 07:07 PM
I would probably get the Ergo in your position, it holds the baby in a more anatomically correct position than the Trekker, which IMO doesn't allow them to splay their legs enough. The Packababy is also a great carrier. The thing is the Ergo, and this goes for the Trekker and the Packababy too, is not really a quick off and on carrier and while you can leave it on once the baby is out, you will have to partically take it of to get them back in it. None of these carriers are like a pouch or a ring sling in that respect.

If this aspect is very important to you, then you would be better off with a sling or a pouch, but then you lose the advantages of having both hands free and being able to do chores, while it is possible with the baby on your back in a sling or a pouch, they are not nearly as stable.

The thing is no sling or carrier can do all things, which ever back carrier you get, you might be wise to get a pouch like the Hotsling, and at $15 how can you go wrong, or an adjustable pouch. Kirsten of Hotslings is now making pouches with slightly padded rails too which would help with the problem you have of the sling cutting into your baby's legs.

Deborah

redheads
06-08-2003, 08:54 PM
Deborah,
You are so helpful, thank you. Can you wear the Ergo in the Hip position? Which do you prefer better, Ergo or Packababy? What about the Sutemi that recently hit the boards?

You have a great point. Maybe I'll get the Ergo for doing extended chores and walking on trails. Than for a little money, I'll get a hotsling to wear around for Sam to jump in and out of. Or should I consider other hip carriers like Walking Rock Farms or Hip Hammock? Are they easy in, easy out? Can Walking Rock Farms Hip Baby do the back position? Their website says it can but wanted to know from actual users.

Thanks again! My body/back are breaking and I feel I am aging very quickly holding Sam so much, but boy do I love having him close to me!

Miiki
06-09-2003, 01:30 AM
Hi-
If I can add my few cents!
I am also thinking of getting an Ergo for the same reasons you are.
I am considering Packababy but the Ergo does seem easier.

I have the Rosado sling, Hip Hugger and Hip Hammock.
Like the Ergo- the Hip Hammock belts around waist but you wear toddler in front. Don't like this although my DH is comfortable with it.

The Hip Hammock is bulky as is the WWRock Farm I believe. If you want minimalism then these are not the way to go-

I am going to buy a Hotsling and a KK fleece pouch as well.

Why all the carriers?

I miss holding her- She is 22.5 months and still likes being held but my arms are killing me! and the sling makes it difficult to do things. I don't like the HHammock and the HHugger is lightweight, thus ez to carry around but it cuts into my shoulder.

I think the Ergo will be great for chores etc and the Hotsling and KK fleece perfect for on the go. Easy to stash in diaper bag and use when needed!

For me- consolidation and compactness is everything! I don't drive so you can see why...

Hip Hammock DOES give you hands-free security but it not quite as compact as the Hotsling and the Fleece Pouch. Still it rolls up nicely to make a little rolling pin size unit-
My friends do like it- I am shorter than they and don't as much. Then again they used the Bjorn and I "slung it" from day one! ;-)

HTH a bit
Miiki

uccomama
06-09-2003, 09:47 AM
You can wear the Ergo in the hip position, but I have to say I haven't because I have other options for hip carrying. I like both the Ergo and the Packababy, I am not sure I prefer one over the other. I do love how generously sized the Packababy is, it will definitely carry an older child, my three year old has plenty of room in it. The designer has a 2.5 year old so purposefully made it suitable for carrying bigger/older children. But your guy is only 12 months old, if I can remember your OP, so that is not an issue for you, yet!

I would say the Ergo is less fiddly because it has buckles and you only need to adjust the shoulder straps to fit once, well it will need to be adjusted to accomodate different weight of clothes of course! The Packababy you have to tie each time. Not that that is much of a deal, but it is important to get the straps, which are made of webbing, nice and snug, especially the waist ties so they will take most of the baby's weight. So, I really think it boils down to which one you like the look of better.

I have no experience with either the hip hammock or the Walking Rock Farm. So I really can't help with those two.

As for the Sutemi Pack, ask me again in a week or so, I have one coming! I have to say it looks a very well designed pack and I do know the maker also has a heavy baby!

Deborah

redheads
06-09-2003, 10:56 AM
Thanks even more everyone...

Another question, I am concerned about the hips/pelvis position of the baby when carrying him. What is best for a baby, to have him in a sitting position or more flat against you. The Baby Trekker looks like the baby is flat against you. Is that good or bad? What is considered the most ergonomical position? Is splay a good or bad thing?

Regarding position in a sling: I was trying again my homemade sling and I couldn't figure if I was to have Sam sit in the pocket with his legs spread wide or have him more upright against me. With him sitting, my hip bone and his pelvis were hitting one another which seemed uncomfortable. Since I made this one I am not sure what type of fit I am supposed to have.

uccomama
06-09-2003, 03:44 PM
Splayed is good, hanging by the pelvis is not good. Babies naturally carry themselves in a splayed, froggy position with their spine rounded, so this is the best way to carry them upright. The Baby Trekker does, in my opinion hold them too flat and too much of the baby's weight is put on the spine.

It sounds like you are carrying your baby in the sling way too low. The baby needs to at or preferably above your waist. His legs should be wrapped around you waist. I fear you made your sling too large.

Deborah

redheads
06-09-2003, 08:16 PM
ok, got it. I am learning so much here.

I think I'll go ahead and order a hotsling or some type of easy in easy out holder (ones that you recommended earlier) that are sized for me and baby. Then I'll wait to hear if you like your Sutemi compared to the Ergo. I am very interested in knowing.

Thanks so much!

Wendy

Mommy to:
Hannah 10/6/96
Samuel 6/29/02