PDA

View Full Version : More carrier questions!!......

am4graves
06-08-2003, 07:24 PM
I am looking for a front carrier to use when our second child is born. I had a Snugli with my first and absolutely hated it. I am looking for a carrier that a large newborn will fit into and will continue to fit for 7-8 months. I probably will not be using it as a back carrier so, I don't need anything that can go on the back. My biggest concern is just the size. I have heard good things about the Baby Bjorn and the Theodore Bean, but, they both look on the small size to me. So, can anyone give me some suggestions?
Oh, before anyone mentions it, I am not interested in a sling. I already have a Maya Wrap, I like to use it, but, I would also like a carrier.
Thanks!!

Amanda

egoldber
06-08-2003, 07:38 PM
I had a Bjorn and while I liked it initially, DD very quickly got so heavy that it was uncomfortable for me to use for any length of time. How about something like the Wilkinet (http://www.wilkinet.co.uk/BabyCarriers.asp) or a Packababy (http://www.packababy.com/). If you search in some of the recent carrier threads, you can find some great info here.

HTH,

stillplayswithbarbies
06-08-2003, 07:40 PM
I don't know if you consider this a sling, but a Kangaroo Korner Fleece Pouch might be something you would like for a newborn.

...Karen
Jacob Nathaniel 2/27/91
Logan Elizabeth 3/25/03

ginalc
06-09-2003, 07:05 AM
You should consider the Wilkinet. It is a similar carrier but softer and more appropriate for a newborn. I has that all-important waist support that takes weight off the shoulders.

BTW, unlike the 2 that you mentioned, you can use the Wilkinet as a back carrier too, when baby gets older. :)

www.wilkinet.com

gina, mom to 3

momathome
06-09-2003, 07:53 AM
I had a Baby Bjorn and loved it! I used it with Kasey until she was a year old and only stopped then because she was becoming too tall for it. I was amazed at how comfy and easy this carrier was to use. Now, I realize I am in the minority as far as being able to use it for a full year goes, but even for an average size baby, I would think you would get at leat 6-8 months out of it. Oh, Kasey was 16lbs8oz when we gave it up at a year for height (about 28 inches tall). Good luck!
-Lauren

uccomama
06-09-2003, 09:58 AM
I third the Wilkinet suggestion. It is a very comfortable carrier and perfect for a newborn yet easily accomodates a larger baby. The waist strap distributes the weight of the child to your waist and takes a lot of the load away from the shoulders which makes it a very comfortable carrier. It also holds the baby in an anatomically correct position, in that they a sit in it rather than hang, as they tend to do in the Baby Bjorn and the Snugli. The Baby Bjorn becomes uncomfortable around 17 lbs and impossible at 20 plus pounds, so if you have larger babies the shelf life is very limited.

Deborah

am4graves
06-09-2003, 01:01 PM
Is the Wilkinet easy to get on and off? Imagine putting it on while trying to keep control of a toddler....is it manageable?

Thanks for all the suggestions!!
Amanda

uccomama
06-09-2003, 03:45 PM
Yes it is easy to get on and off. It looks more complicated than it is. If you go to the Wilkinet websit they have videos on how to put the carrier on in the various positions.

Deborah

mom2kandj
06-10-2003, 12:32 PM
As long as you can handle the weight of your child, the Bjorn will go to one year or even longer! My DS is now almost 14 months and we would have never gotten through the NHL playoffs without our Bjorn. Our local arena banned strollers and the walk from some of the parking lots was too far for our kids to be carried. (DD - 30 months would walk or piggyback DH) I tried using my compact diaper bag as a platform for the 22lb angel, but it left bruises on my neck and shoulder. So, we pulled out the Bjorn which we hadn't used in months and put him in! Yes, I was still tired from carrying him, but my entire body was supported better. He could handle the walk over to the arena, 20 minutes of hockey or so, and the walk back in the Bjorn. When he got tired, I would take him out and we'd go for a walk to stretch. It tucked easily into the my seat like a sweatshirt. We also tried a Kelty Backpack Carrier for the games but wouldn't have any place to put it! We got through about TWENTY NHL hockey games like this and now our Bjorn stays in the car just in case! Good luck!

Rose