PDA

View Full Version : They wanted to buy my pocket sling!

daisymommy
06-09-2003, 08:50 AM
I have been making some pouch/pocket style slings just for fun lately (just like a HotSling). Yesterday we went to a huge art and crafts festival, and I wore Josh in one of the slings (he was so content and comfortable!). Several people came up and asked me if he liked being in it, was it comfortable, and was I selling them? They wanted to know where my booth was, and how much was I selling them for!!! This was a sling that cost me $2.00 to make! The same festival comes again this fall, and I'm thinking I may try my luck at making a little extra money (for more srollers and diaper bags ;)). How fun and exciting--I just had to share!

Piglet
06-09-2003, 09:04 AM
That's great! I made one too, and although it cost about $10, it is made of very luxurious fabric. I wore it on the weekend for the first time and got so many compliments. No one could believe I made it myself, or that it was strong enough to support my son, LOL!

Marina

chrissyhowie
06-10-2003, 10:37 AM
Marina,

I'm curious about what kind of fabric you used. I made one of these slings using just the typical cotton fabric. I was wondering how well a satiny, thicker fabric or something soft and stretchier might work with this sling design. Any thoughts?

daisymommy
06-10-2003, 12:40 PM
Sorry, I'm not Marina, but just wanted to let you know I've tried thicker fabric (denim), and it was harder to sew, and didn't mold to my body very easily. Stretchy fabric is pretty hard to work with unless you're a pro at sewing (the stitching slips alot on the machine). Also, it's hard to get a good fit since it keeps stretching out alot. I did just buy some fabric at Joanne Fabric Store that is 97% cotton, and 3% spandex. It is a a soft fabric with Hawaain print. I can let you know how that goes.

Piglet
06-10-2003, 01:33 PM
I used a satin-y material. It didn't have any more stretch to it than most fabrics (yes, stretchy fabrics are HARD to sew - even flannel can be harder than regular cotton). I wouldn't want to use a thick material for the reason's above, but the satin worked really well. It is quite thin, but strong, and it has a really nice sheen to it. I figured if you could buy slings made out of Oriental prints, then why couldn't you make one at home out of a similar fabric? I don't know how it will wash or wear in the long run, but DS doesn't make too much of a mess, and for the money I saved, I can make more to match my mood!

Let me know how it works out if you make one. I am thrilled with mine, and get many compliments.

Marina

chrissyhowie
06-10-2003, 01:38 PM
Thanks so much to both of you for replying. Now to find that "perfect" fabric...think I'm going to be paying the seller on Ebay that zen_bliss recommended a little cyber-visit!

Amy, I love craft fairs too! I definitely think you'd do some brisk business if you decided to get a booth, especially if you had your helper Joshua with you!

Thanks again, ladies!

Piglet
06-10-2003, 02:21 PM
You might also want to try local stores. I don't live in a major metropolis, but there are stores that sell cloth for Indian sari's (sp?), and also in our Chinatown there are a lot of stores that might have fabric - you just have to ask. The seller on Ebay was fairly expensive for the amount you'll need (close to 2 metres - 2 yards is about the same, I think), and the shipping would be high, since she is located in Hong Kong (if I am thinking of the same seller).

Marina